Author Topic: duplicate players  (Read 4449 times)

CanopicJar

• View Profile
    • The Back Door Holdem blog
duplicate players
« on: June 26, 2006, 10:15:56 PM »
Somehow, in the process of creating leagues, I have created quite a few duplicate players.  Now that I have realized it, some of the duplicate players have received points under each of their names.  Is there a way that I can edit the player points so that I can adjust their points totals before deleting all the duplicates?

Thanks,
Travis

TimDugan

• View Profile
    • The Oregon Poker Tour
Re: duplicate players
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 10:23:50 PM »
Hmm . . . you might have to go through each of your tournaments and change the player from that player's copy to the original player.  I don't think there's a way to do this automatically.

UPT

• View Profile
    • University Poker Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 01:27:56 PM »
Yup, I think that is the only way.. at some point the software stopped checking for names... I had to manually edit 59 tournaments to fix this problem.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 04:48:40 PM »
There is addressed in the FAQ: http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/faq.html#faq18

Basically, it's a painful situation, no doubt about it.  I'd like to address it in the software, and I'm pretty sure I can, but it isn't terribly high on the priority list (hasn't happened too much).  The fix would be to allow you to "merge" DB players, but basically it boils down to "now you have two players who are the same player", and the software would have to keep track of that.  Do it again and you now have 3 players who are really the same player.  And so on.  Could slow the software down, and I'm trying to avoid that.

I'm not certain what was meant by "at some point the software stopped checking for names...", because the software does check for duplicate names.  At 2.1, the software stopped DISallowing duplicate names, but it will still warn you if you add a player with the same nickname or the same first + last name combination.

So, if you have two players A and B in your database who are actually the same player, you have to change player B to player A in all of the tournaments in which you have player B instead of player A.  Or vice-versa.

Delete player B in the database.  Load each saved tournament.  Player B should now show up as "not in your database".  Edit the player and use the Merge function to merge the player with database player A.  Save the tournament.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

UPT

• View Profile
    • University Poker Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 12:53:27 PM »
At some point it stopped doing "something"...

New Player... In league... All is proper... I think it is not putting people in the league when you enter them... even though the drop box is right I am finding myself going in and having to add the new players to the league as they showup in the "No Leagues" db... SO I am thinking it is only checking "in league".. not "In Database".

This was not an issue before the update it would always warn if a player was in the db at all.. now  it seems to be checking only the league.

As I said.. it didn't used to do this.. but now it does... not a biggie if I always make sure and add the new players manually to the league... I think the hang up is in the "New" function.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 01:16:40 PM by UPT »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 03:53:42 PM »
When you add a player to your tournament, it checks the new player's nickname against the nicknames of (a) players already in your tournament and (b) players in your database; and it checks the player's firstname + lastname combination against the firstname + lastname combination of (a) players already in your tournament and (b) players in your database.  The software will warn you if you are entering a duplicate nickname or a duplicate firstname + lastname combination.  There is probably more that could be done, given that duplicates are now allowed and people tend to use the nickname, first name, and last name fields differently.  I'm open to suggestions.

You are correct in that when adding new players to your database, the "league" selection is ignored.  I had to go back and check this one.  I make updates to the software nearly every day and even I forget what's been done.  On May 29, I fixed this bug: "Fixed previous bug that didn't set the selected league when adding a new DB player".  So this fix will show up in the next release.

britnt7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 08:11:44 AM »
You are correct in that when adding new players to your database, the "league" selection is ignored.  I had to go back and check this one.  I make updates to the software nearly every day and even I forget what's been done.  On May 29, I fixed this bug: "Fixed previous bug that didn't set the selected league when adding a new DB player".  So this fix will show up in the next release.

Corey, I noticed this problem too and I am about to start a league this coming weekend. How do I add new players to a league if it is ignoring the drop down box? Also, when I set a points formula on the main screen, will these points be awarded in the stats page? My league is going to award 15 for 1st, 14 for 2nd, 13 for 3rd and so on. After 10 weeks, I would like to check the stats page to see who leads the league with the most points and award them prizes.

Awesome program. Just started using the new version and am still learning all of it's functionality. This is my first league and may need help with using TD's league functionality.

Thanks,
Tim

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 10:51:19 AM »
You can work around the problem with the software ignoring the league selection when creating new players by adding the players to the league after you create the player.

- Create your player(s)
- Select the appropriate league in the Leagues pane
- Press Edit Members and check the new player(s)

And yes, points awarded in your tournament will show up on the Stats tab.