Author Topic: Iphone integration  (Read 7173 times)

mlemmon

• View Profile
Iphone integration
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:13:24 PM »
I am a new user to this software and have looked through the boards regarding connecting this software to an Iphone. I have found a few threads on this, but just wondered if this was something that is ever likely as there doesn't look to be a definitive answer either way. I am aware something like real VNC can be used in the interim.

Many thanks

Matt

RobertCarney

• View Profile
Re: Iphone integration
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
I Use VNC Just Now In Mock Tournaments And Its Pretty Good

I Am An Average Programmer my self and in my own opinion it would be quite difficult on the pc side and in the TD programming

Iphone Would Be Really Easy

agromans

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »
RobertCarney,

I tried the VNC on my Ipod Touch; did you find the ipod reaction time slow?  It might be different with the iphone.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »
I ran a tourny from my touch using VNC... the clock was one second behind actual clock and inputing was a bit slower than doing it on the computer... However, it was faster and easier to stay in my chair and do it then to get up from the other side of the table where I might be sitting to do it... Since we play in two rooms, one table can see the computer monitor and the other cannot, seeing the time and blinds on the touch was a crowd favorite and furthermore it was really easy to use... The only way it could be easier was if TD had its own app... I would so use this app a lot... I can see lots of potential

mlemmon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:30:43 AM »
I work in I.T. but have no programming knowledge or skills. I am therefore unsure how hard or easy this would be to implement.

I wonder if it is worth trying to establish what exactly we would like to be able to achieve from the Iphone (a wish list if you like), to give Corey some further information to decide whether this is a possibility or not. I will only be playing in a single room, so to me I need something that will allow me to control my PC to do basic things such as busting players out.
I guess for others in a multi room environment you may wish for something more. To me I wouldn't need full control from my Iphone such as being able to add players to the database etc.

I understand VNC can allow us to do these kind of things already but I think it would be nice to have a proper app.

If you do not think this will be helpful, please ignore.

Cheers

Matt

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32:42 AM »
Phaze,

You use an HTC Touch smartphone to control a computer running TD is that correct?  Can you elaborate?  I will search the board.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:34:08 AM »
oops, I see now it is an ipod touch, not an HTC touch.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:29:56 AM »
The main issue here is the framework on which the TD is built.  To support something like smartphone integration, the TD would need to become a server of sorts, and there's no way to do it directly with the framework.  It could probably be done by using something like an ActiveX control, but then the framework becomes, in my opinion, fragile.  More fragile than it already is, and I feel it is very fragile now.

If Microsoft would implement something like Opera Unite into IE, we might be a big step closer, but until then we're stuck.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 11:36:39 AM »
its not a big deal,  I don't mind using a laptop to control tourney (almost prefer since my near vision stinks, so I need a big screen for controls).
thanks anyway,

RobertCarney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 09:00:57 PM »
RobertCarney,

I tried the VNC on my Ipod Touch; did you find the ipod reaction time slow?  It might be different with the iphone.

i have tryed it on my iphone and ipod touch both are pretty much the same

i also tryed my smart phone aka nokia n97 all work the same n97 being favorite because of stylus control

The trick is take the vnc server partly out the picture and leave your self with just a small box to play with

so have an external box that replaces the full td control panel

and have it contain only lets say pause/start bust out/buy in and top up

so lets say you have busted a player out select bust out and the box now changes to a list view of all the players

select a player and click bust out will then ask if buy-in is required

and i am sure this is achievable the vnc server could do this i am sure just need this external window in td i will have a read up on this over the weekend 

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »
Phaze,

You use an HTC Touch smartphone to control a computer running TD is that correct?  Can you elaborate?  I will search the board.

I believe your HTC Touch smartphone can run apps... If this is true then you most likely will be able to control your computer from your phone, or your laptop... Here is what you need:

- Computer with TD and hooked up to a wireless router (wireless not totally necessary but I think preferable otherwise you open yourself to letting anyone take control of your computer
- RealVNC installed on your computer
- A VNC client program app installed on your smartphone or touch. If using Iphone or Itouch you can use VNC Lite which is free. If you use Android maybe check out VNC Lite version for Android

Once apps and programs installed you just basically have to set up a VNC server on your computer and then hook up with your phone/touch with the app... basically the only tricky part is how to find your IP... If your phone/touch is wifi'd with your home computer, its that much easier

What you see on your computer monitor is what you see on your phone/touch screen but you can zoom in and out and if you know your hotkeys off by heart than you navigate that way (since macs don't do F keys)

BTW, this is how I play Pokerstars on my Touch...

Note, you can set this up so that you can control your computer over the net as well... Just keep in mind that anyone with VNC maybe can log on and once they do, they have complete control of your computer... PASSWORD your VNC!

bfraley

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 09:07:34 PM »
I've been trying a few options to solve this problem.  I got the vnc solution up an running, but operating the mouse and zooming the screen around is almost as time consuming as getting up and going to the laptop that I run my tournaments on.

Corey mentioned that TD would have to be a server of sorts to integrate with a smartphone.  How about an outboard server?  I have apache running on my machine (it's pretty simple to download and install) and it's pretty easy to have an html page that could be viewed with the smart phone and could provide whatever kind of smartphone UI you wanted in the browser. (I have an iPhone)  A perl script on the backend could communicate with TD via a file in the file system.  TD would have to poll or set a system event to know when to look at the file, but this could provide two way communication without having to push the TD framework.

I'm looking to do something very simple like start/stop the clock, bustout, and rebuy.  To do this I think TD would have be able to provide a list of players and be able to accept a parameter on the bustout / rebuy (the player to bustout or rebuy).  I think these should be easy to get/put in a shared file.  A portion of the file would have the command from the smartphone as well.

I'm babbling a little about details, but it's a thought on how to get the integration without tearing up the insides of TD.

Any thoughts?

Brittain

P.S. This is my first post, and I have to say TD is awesome.

robertchas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »
I know what your saying about the iphone and vnc the ipad should be alot better for this use but what you have described sounds good as a custom gui would be better with selective features, I hope corey responds soon as I am sure there is a lot of people interested in this.

Chas