Author Topic: Data Backups/Restores HELP  (Read 717 times)

knoepke84

• View Profile
Data Backups/Restores HELP
« on: March 25, 2019, 02:52:50 AM »
While attempting to pull up some old tournament files from TD2, I mistakenly thought I was taking a shortcut and I believe I restored my database from a backup in 2014, which now looks as if my player database has now loaded from 2014 and many players are not showing up when pulling up stats now. Is there any possible way to pull up what was my most current player database? I do not see any backup made from this...only back up I see is the one I inadvertently just restored from 2014.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Data Backups/Restores HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 02:34:15 PM »
Unfortunately you can only restore a database that you've made a backup of.  So if you didn't make a backup of your most recent database, there's no way to simply restore it.

All hope is not lost, however.  You can rebuild your database from your tournaments.  But it's a somewhat manual process.  Here is what you do:

First, you should decide if you want to keep the "restored" DB you already have.  If not, you might want to delete it first.  To delete it, follow these steps:
- Select the Preferences tab
- Press the Data Stores button
- Right-click on the "Active" row and select "Explore folder".  This will open Windows Explorer to that folder.  You should see the folders "db", "images", "receipts", "saves", "sounds", and "templates".
- Select the folder named "db" and just rename it (right-click and select "Rename" or just press F2).  Rename it anything you want.
- Exit and restart the TD.  You should now have an empty database.

To rebuild your database, follow these steps:
- Load one of your tournaments.  I would load the latest (most recently run) tournament you have.
- On the Players tab, press the "Database" button
- Press the first button "Add to the database players in your current tournament"
- Select all players by clicking the checkbox in the title row
- Press OK
- Load the next tournament (try to stay in reverse chronological order)
- Repeat with all tournaments

You should find as you continue through your tournaments that the set of players NOT already in your database shrinks each time.  Ultimately you should have a good player database.

What this will NOT do is restore any players that were in your database that didn't participate in any tournaments (unless they were added to a tournament but never bought-in).  By going in reverse chronological order, if any players have any personal information (like phone or address) that has changed over time, hopefully you'll get the latest copy of that information.

knoepke84

• View Profile
Re: Data Backups/Restores HELP
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 03:39:48 PM »
Thank you! Yea, that’s what I ended up doing and looks to have restored the database.  My blunder, lol! Thanks for the input!!!