Author Topic: 3.5 Progress  (Read 26157 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 3.5 Progress
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 05:49:59 PM »
is there a public beta to download?????

There will be, but it's not ready yet.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 06:05:27 PM »
I was on vacation last week, but still made a bunch of progress:

- Languages now load properly.

- Added a hotkey and context menu for toggling full screen on the main window.

- Updated the off-screen check for the Settings window at startup.  Now the TD knows which displays are available and just moves the Settings window back on-screen if it's off-screen (if an extended display is no longer connected, for example).  This works for all windows now, and should work in real time.  That is, if you unplug a display on which the Settings window is currently displayed, you can close and re-open the Settings window using the ESC key and it will open on an actual display.  I think a future version will be able to detect a display change in real time and move any open windows, too.  But this is a good incremental improvement.

- Refactored the Game window context menu.  Now all player actions and screen selections are in sub-menus.  This makes the menu more compact and usable.

- Restyled the hotkeys dialog.

- Change the Game window update rate from twice a second to 10 times a second to see if this is feasible with new framework.  Didn't notice any change in CPU usage.  If this works out, it should reduce times when the clock seems to stay on the same time for longer than 1 second or where 1 second seems to last for a fraction of a second or get skipped entirely (the time is accurate, but the screen isn't updated enough).  Testing will bear this out, but it's very positive.

- Fixed drag-and-drop on the Tables tab.

- Basically fixed nearly the entire Rounds tab functionality.

- Fixed the column chooser/export dialogs common to most tabs.

- Got printing to work!  Printing now works without goofy header/footer that IE adds, printing can be done interactively or without intervention, "Auto Print" is no longer necessary, and selection of preferred printer is now possible.  There's also an option to print to PDF, since that is native to Chrome, which I can add later if there's interest.

craigt78

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 08:29:00 PM »
Very exciting - eagerly awaiting the next release!  This program is the sh1t and it can only get better.  ;D

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 04:10:09 PM »
Two weeks have gone by and what has happened?  I'll tell you...

- Completed the entire Rounds tab.
- Completed the entire Prizes tab.
- Completed work on the Fee Profile dialogs on the Options tab.
- Completed the Fixed Rake dialog.
- Fixed a number of things on the Preferences tab.
- I had removed my custom Combo Box control (a text input that allows free text input, but also has a drop-down of preselected entries) because HTML5 now has this built-in.  After messing with it, realized it isn't as good as the Combo Box I had created, so I put mine back and fixed it to work in Chrome.  Much better.
- Started working on the Layout tab.  The preview now looks mostly correct and drag-and-drop arrangement of the layout works.
- Context menu on Layout tab works.
- Fixed a bunch of stuff on the Edit Cell dialog.
- Removed "Auto Print" and finished the printing code.  For those who actually use the printing functionality, it's now much simpler and more straightforward:

May not seem like a whole lot but it actually is.  Only two of the 17 tabs are complete, but because they share code and utilize the same patterns, finishing one means less work on the others has to be done.

craigt78

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 03:15:11 PM »
Very exciting!  Eagerly awaiting the next release.  Any ball park guesses as to when it will be ready for beta?  I'm interested in helping test it.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 09:48:55 PM »
Wish I could say but there's still too much at this point.

MooseWizard

• View Profile
    • Louisville Poker Society
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 01:46:48 PM »
This is very exciting, as we've certainly experienced difficulties with TTD over the last couple of years.  However, this being a whole new build and major overhaul, why v3.5 instead of v4?
The man, the myth, the moose!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 10:13:37 PM »
A fair question.

While this is definitely a major change to the software, to be honest most of the change will be practically invisible to the average user.  It will necessitate some change that will result in new/different functionality, but mostly I'm just getting the existing functionality to work on top of a new framework.  One of the most important reasons for this migration is fixing issues with the existing framework: memory leaks being a huge one, as well as fixing the file dialogs, and trying to further immunize the application from Microsoft's changes.

Version 4.0 will contain new features, if/when it happens.  And as such, it's possible it will be an upgrade like 2 -> 3 was (meaning it may require a fee).  Right now I feel I just owe it to my current users to get the application back into a stable state.  Thus, version 3.5.  Your existing v3 licenses will work with it.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
It's been over 3 weeks, time for another update for those who are following along.

- Fixed dialogs: Quick Start, Add Players To Tournament, Table, Sort Tbales, Collapse Order, Compress Seating, Compress Single Table Seating, Locks, Tables Settings, Undo Buy-in Players, Unseat Player, Unseat Table, Toggle Show Player Images, Remove Player From Tournament, Remove Players From Tournament, Players Preferences, Suggest Rounds, Suggest Prizes, and Auto Prizes, Random Player.
- Got Stats to load and display.  Still some work to be done, but this is a good start.
- Fixed context-menu rename/arrange columns on Stats Tab.
- Fixed 'configure columns' and 'set column names' context menu items on Rounds, Prizes, and Stats pages.
- Tackled main dialog code.  Even though this works, it is a bit squirrely and has some issues.  I knew at some point I would have to dive in and just work on it until it's fixed.  Issues were things like:
  - sometimes a dialog just didn't open
  - sometimes the stylesheet isn't found and thus the font adjustment done to every dialog didn't happen, resulting in a dialog with a 6pt font
  - since windows open asynchronously, the "opener" dialog is still active until the child dialog opens allowing the user to click on something.  For example, a button that opens a dialog could be pressed over and over and many dialogs would open
  - window.closed isn't accurate, and thus a window could be opened using a window that is closing as its parent, resulting in weird behavior
  - hotkeys still work on disabled windows, so holding down the ESC key can cause the code to try to open/close the Settings window so fast it confuses the dialog code
- I spent the better part of a week working on the dialog code and now it all seems good.  <fingers crossed>
- Fixed the volume slider control.
- Fixed at least a hundred other things here and there.
- Spent some more time figuring out why dialog sizing works on some dialogs, not on others.  Turns out the dialog sizing code is working as expected, but I identified a number of common differences in Chrome.  This will make fixing the remaining dialogs much easier.  Fixed about a dozen other dialogs that had initial sizing problems.

For example, the Add Players to Tournament dialog looked like:

But now looks like:

Or the Screen Properties dialog, which opened like this:

But now looks like:

Lots more to do...

efdenny

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 04:40:53 PM »
Thanks for the updates! Looking good...

craigt78

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 05:14:20 PM »
How are the updates going?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 12:09:13 PM »
I'm so glad you asked!  I've been a little bit derelict in my duty lately.  So, just running through my daily notes:

- Fixed some UI glitches.
- Fixed ScreenSets configuration.
- Made the decision to go back to using sync versions of file operations.  It makes the code less complicated.  Will have to refactor some stuff I've already done.
- Made more changes to ExportPlayers dialog and fixed Export Players on the Database tab.
- Fixed all of the operations on the Database Operations dialog (on the Players tab).
- Fixed various items on the Database tab.
- Came up with a new code technique which will reduce complexity of code where async methods are used (dialogs and file operations, but mostly just dialogs now).
- Used the code technique to fix areas that create receipts (all transactions).
- Fixed ALL major transaction dialogs: buy-in, add-on, rebuy, bust-out, all undo versions of those, and all non-player-tracking versions of those (30-ish in all).  These are all using the new technique, sync file operations, and proper error handling in async portions.  All seem to function, but haven't yet been fully tested.
- Fixed Dashboard scrolling.
- Fixed AdjustRankingsDialog.
- Fixed TransactionsDialog.
- Fixed the mini clock.
- Fixed next/previous level functions.
- Fixed the Countdown dialog.
- Fixed stylings in ALL built-in pages, including table blueprints.  With the exception of the Seating List page, all of the built-in screens are back to looking like they did and functioning properly.
- Fixed Player Details dialog.
- Started working on column arrangement.  This is one of those areas I shouldn't work on (because it isn't broken) but sometimes I get sidetracked and can't help myself.
- Fixed a hundred other small things all over the application.

Unfortunately this is a period of time at my "other" job where we are preparing for "peak operations".  It's hectic and I don't have as much time or energy to devote, so while I was making serious progress for a good while, it's tapered off a bit in the past two weeks.  Hopefully it will pick up again soon.

Here are the built-in screens so we have something to look at:

CruiseLite

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2018, 01:16:14 PM »
I was just reading this entire thread... Wow! Lots to look forward to!
I'm very excited about possibly being able to run TD under Linux.

My hat is off to you Corey for all the time and effort you've put into not only v3.5, but just in general.
For as long as I've used TD (~12 years), you've always been super accessible and extremely responsive.
In addition, a "Well done" to all the users in general. This forum has some of the best users I've ever encountered.
Of course, we are all poker players, and most of us nerds, so what else would you expect?!?! :)

Thanks again!

shushs

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2018, 09:06:30 PM »
I will echo the previous post. You have always been responsive and helpful. I've been using TD for (I think) over a decade as well. I will offer, again, to help test for you, if you are interested in getting feedback from others. I realize there are some things you don't want in the wild, I just want you to know you have people out here that are willing to help.

I can provide testing on most linux distros, Mac OS X, and Windows.

pockey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »
Good job.

We hope it will be better because currently we have lots of problem (the clock sometimes freezes). It's very disturbing.