Author Topic: 3.7 BETA 1  (Read 18080 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
3.7 BETA 1
« on: October 12, 2019, 11:38:18 PM »
Finally!

Version 3.7 BETA 1 is finally ready.  Remember it is a beta version, so there will be bugs found.  This is a little different from previous beta versions because there are a few things I know don't work, but they're not crucial to using the application.

OK, some notable things:

- When you install the new version there's no option to choose the installation folder.  This is done so the app does not need any elevated privileges, even at install time.

- Installing this new version will NOT upgrade your existing installed version.  It will install the new version only, with new shortcuts.  So if you currently have version 3.4.3 installed, after installing version 3.7 BETA 1 you will then have both 3.4.3 and 3.7 BETA 1 installed.

- No evaluation mode at this time.  It simply isn't done yet.  So to participate in this first beta you will need a license.

- Take a backup of your data first.  The new version will upgrade preferences, database, etc.  Take a backup so you can roll back to 3.x if you decide to.

I am super excited about this new version.  Please let me know how it works for you!  Reply to this post, create your own new post, or send email to support@thetournamentdirector.net.

Download the new version here:
Edit: Beta 2 is ready: https://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=5931.0

For anyone wondering about the version numbering: based on https://www.thetournamentdirector.net/faq.html#faq4 I could not increase the major version from 3 to 4 because there is no significant new functionality.  At the same time, there has been so much change (under the covers) that a change from 3.4.3 -> 3.5 frankly seems dishonest.  Thus I picked the midpoint between 3.4 and 4.0.  Welcome to version 3.7.  :-)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:36:26 PM by Corey Cooper »

efdenny

• View Profile
Re: 3.7 BETA 1
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 12:47:48 AM »
Thanks, Corey... installing now! I'll let you know how it works for me...

Carlavatky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 05:23:46 PM »
Installed earlier and spent a few minutes with it. Let it run a simulated tournament for a few hours without any issues so far.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 08:33:18 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the update!

Installed earlier and spent a few minutes with it. Let it run a simulated tournament for a few hours without any issues so far.

lolo02100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 07:26:57 AM »
Thanks, Corey

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 10:17:28 AM »
Corey, I loaded a saved tournament goto layout - design mode and load a screen that has a iframe reference - close the settings screen and wait for the green banner to disappear it seems to lockup, pressing esc or F11 does nothing. I tested this on other screens without iframe and everything seems to work.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »
Hmm, how did you recover when it locked up?

I ask because I did discover one minor issue right after I released it, where when a window is closed the parent window doesn't immediately focus.  For some reason this doesn't happen on my Win7 PC or on one of my Win10 PCs, but does happen on another Win10 PC.  No idea why.  When you close the Settings window, and then try to open it again by pressing the ESC key, it could seem like it's locked up, but that's just because the main window doesn't have focus, so your ESC presses aren't received.  You just have to click on the window again to bring it back into focus.

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 02:11:29 PM »
I have to close the program and restart. I think you are right about losing focus but clicking anywhere on the screen does nothing.
I think it has something to do with iframe. I am going to try again with the same screen and then remove the iframe content and see if it changes.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 02:17:33 PM »
Yeah I had to do some work to get the iframes working properly, but context menus and hotkeys should work, even from the iframe.  Now, if your layout has embedded iframes in it, it might not.  It won't recursively dig down and find all iframes and try to make hotkeys and context menus work.  In fact, it can't, due to security restrictions.  If your layout has an iframe in it, it is considered from a different "domain" and access is limited.

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 02:18:17 PM »
OK, i just tried the same screen again and got the same result, I then removed the iframe reference and tried again and everything worked. Seems iframe is causing the problem. Let me know if there is something else you want me to try/do.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 02:20:35 PM »
Can you send me your layout?

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 02:21:17 PM »
yes,
sent
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:26:33 PM by Silver Owl »

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 02:34:53 PM »
seems to be the sizing for the iframe ... a while ago i had trouble with positioning and was using a negative value for the top value. I just removed that value and can now click the top part of the screen to get to get esc to work. The iframe was covering the whole screen and clicking inside the iframe doesn't do anything. So it seems to be operator error instead of software error. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:38:45 PM by Silver Owl »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 03:10:09 PM »
I see.  HTML screens use an iframe to display.  If your HTML screen also has an iframe, context menus and hotkeys won't work when that frame has focus.  That's the security issue I was mentioning.  Handlers can't be attached to those iframes, so there's not much that can be done.  But, the Game window outside of the iframe should work fine.

So the next step would be to see if the iframe(s) in your layout are necessary.

FYI, did you send the layout to support@thetournamentdirector.net?  I didn't get anything.

efdenny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 05:53:46 PM »
simulated a few tournaments, ran stats, changed layouts... all good so far.