Author Topic: Countdown Problem  (Read 1906 times)

Joe Spy

• View Profile
Countdown Problem
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:22:33 PM »
I want to start a countdown prior to tournament start.  I see the Countdown button, but when I click it, a box comes up and says it can't start a countdown because the tournament is already in progress.  I get to Round 1, and reset the clock, and then click it but no go.  What's wrong?  Thanks.
Joe
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.
                                                                         Horace Mann

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
Re: Countdown Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »
re-setting the clock to the start of the level is not the same as re-setting the tournament to -pre-start.

You need to reset the tourney using the reset on the game tab, reset but keep players buy-ins - I am presuming you are using the same tourney each time and not starting fresh.

Remember also that the countdown cannot be initialised on TD without a player bought in, which I keep meaning to bring to corey's attention!

To use the countdown the game must be pre-tournament with at least 1 player bought in.

Regards
Stuart
Stuart Murray

Joe Spy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 05:45:07 PM »
That did it!  Much thanks!
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.
                                                                         Horace Mann

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 10:44:55 AM »
Remember also that the countdown cannot be initialised on TD without a player bought in, which I keep meaning to bring to corey's attention!

To use the countdown the game must be pre-tournament with at least 1 player bought in.

Regards
Stuart

I'll put this down on the list.  I agree that you should be able to start a Countdown without the tournament being "ready", I'm just not sure what to do when the countdown ends and the tournament still isn't ready.  The easy answer is "nothing".  You're just back in the pre-start state without a countdown running.  But I can just see the support emails now: "I started a countdown but at the end the tournament didn't start... what happened?".

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 11:29:25 AM »

Regards
Stuart

I'll put this down on the list.  I agree that you should be able to start a Countdown without the tournament being "ready", I'm just not sure what to do when the countdown ends and the tournament still isn't ready.  The easy answer is "nothing".  You're just back in the pre-start state without a countdown running.  But I can just see the support emails now: "I started a countdown but at the end the tournament didn't start... what happened?".

Corey, why not have it default to a dialogue box asking "Continue Countdown, Do nothing, Start Tournament" regardless of if there's enough to start? Unless the countdown timer was started with a minimum of two?
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 04:45:49 PM »
Well, mainly because you could be anywhere within the application when this occurs.  The countdown is sort of a "background process" running, allowing you to continue to work.  Popping up a dialog when it ends is annoying and intrusive.

I'm not saying that's the wrong thing to do.  Maybe it's the right thing to do.  Now that I'm thinking about it, you can currently start a countdown then remove all of your players while the countdown is running, effectively putting you into the situation that not allowing the countdown to start is trying to prevent.  So what happens today?  I suspect before I go and look that the countdown simply ends.  (Ha, I just tried this and the tournament starts and then immediately ends, because there are no players left.  That would be a bug.)

2.6 has a setting for what to do at the end of the countdown (start the tournament, start the tournament with the clock paused, do nothing - just end the countdown).  Maybe I should just add some text indicating that the countdown will just end if the tournament isn't "ready".

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 05:37:29 PM »
This turned out to be a little trickier than I thought, but it's in for 2.6.