Author Topic: Saving Layouts  (Read 2145 times)

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
Saving Layouts
« on: November 25, 2011, 08:40:01 AM »
When you save the layout do the cells within my made layout screens get saved?
I have templates made for different games and as such they have different rules.

I have a screen which displays  the rules. with in that screen there is a cell I have named <rules2> which displays the rules as  scrolling text.
But when I load it the rules2 is not loaded with it.

When I am on the rules screen and i save the layout, is this the layout that is loaded if i open this game up again?

When i exit a game or a layout it always ask if i want to save the layout.  If i save it when i exit, does the rules screen get saved with it and should it save any alteration that i make on the rules screen

It could be that i am doing it wrong?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Saving Layouts
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »
Saving a layout saves everything you can modify on the Layout tab.  It doesn't save Rules.

Here's a quick overview that might make this more clear:

- Anything labeled a "preference" is an application parameter.  These settings determine how the application behaves and are persisted automatically by the application.  The currency symbol to use when displaying money, whether or not to run in "full-screen mode", etc.

- Everything else is part of a tournament.  If you save a tournament, essentially everything else (everything besides "preferences") gets saved with the tournament.  The tournament is divided into logical sections (rounds, prizes, players, etc), and each of those can be loaded/saved independently as templates.  But they are all saved with the tournament as well.

- The Layout is the presentation of your tournament to your players, and is the exception to the previous item.  Because the layout isn't part of the logical make-up of a tournament, it may be saved with the tournament or independently from your tournament, as determined by your preferences.  The layout draws information from your tournament to display to your players, by way of <tokens>.  The <rules> token, for example, displays to your players the value of the rules token defined on the Rules tab.

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 02:11:38 AM »
Saving a layout saves everything you can modify on the Layout tab.  It doesn't save Rules.

Here's a quick overview that might make this more clear:

- Anything labeled a "preference" is an application parameter.  These settings determine how the application behaves and are persisted automatically by the application.  The currency symbol to use when displaying money, whether or not to run in "full-screen mode", etc.

- Everything else is part of a tournament.  If you save a tournament, essentially everything else (everything besides "preferences") gets saved with the tournament.  The tournament is divided into logical sections (rounds, prizes, players, etc), and each of those can be loaded/saved independently as templates.  But they are all saved with the tournament as well.

- The Layout is the presentation of your tournament to your players, and is the exception to the previous item.  Because the layout isn't part of the logical make-up of a tournament, it may be saved with the tournament or independently from your tournament, as determined by your preferences.  The layout draws information from your tournament to display to your players, by way of <tokens>.  The <rules> token, for example, displays to your players the value of the rules token defined on the Rules tab.

cheeers thanks for the reply, got it now

pmcotter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 08:53:58 AM »
FYI,  right after the last major update I thought I found a bug.  I thought the program was not saving the events and sounds templates with the tournament after I made changes in those templates.  It was driving me nuts until I finally realized I was saving in the "Saves" folder and not the default location.  I just posted this in hopes of others avoiding my boneheaded frustration.