Author Topic: TD2 really laggy since last update  (Read 1630 times)

Spaceman Spiff

• View Profile
TD2 really laggy since last update
« on: November 30, 2007, 02:35:48 PM »
First off, I love this program and I've been running my league with it for several seasons now.  Before my last tourney I updated to 2.4.3 and had a really tough time with lag.  Sometimes it was taking close to a minute to bring up knockouts, rebuys, etc.  The clock would update maybe every 15 seconds or so.  Before updating to 2.4.3 I hadn't really seen this before.

The laptop I'm running on certainly isn't a world beater, but it's 2.2 GHz with 640 in RAM.  We don't really use it for anything anymore except for TD, so the update to the newest version was the only thing changed.

Running a test now and it seemed to run fine until the first rebuy and then the lag started again.  It's not as bad as before, but I expect it will get worse as time goes on.  I'm only running 10-20 player games, so I don't think I should be taxing the calculations too bad.

Any ideas?  Worst case I suppose I can download it to my better laptop.  I do still have the key, but wanted to make sure it's cool to transfer to a new machine.

Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TD2 really laggy since last update
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 02:04:29 PM »
What version did you have before?

I'm not really sure why the TD would be that much more sluggish.  Introduced in 2.4 were Events, and internally to implement this there is a new notification system, which will likely increase the amount of CPU the TD utilizes, but I wouldn't expect this to be noticed on anything with a 1GHz processor or faster.  Certainly not a 2.2 GHz.

I test the TD on 4 or 5 different PCs , the slowest now being a 2.0GHz Intel processor.  I've personally never experienced anything like this.  When I was developing 2.0, I saw times close to the ones you are seeing (for opening the bust-out dialog, etc), but that was before the code was optimized, and with tournaments with players ranging from 100 to 500.

Right now I'm trying this with the latest development version (2.5 beta - not yet released).  I'm using a pretty fast PC - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual, Core Processor 5200+, 2.61 GHz.  This is a dual-core processor, but that's really irrelevant since the TD will only use 1 processor.

With a tournament with 200 players in it, I press X to bust a player out, the dialog appears instantly and the player list appears in less than 1 second.  With a tournament with 563 players in it, the dialog again appears instantly, and it takes only about 2 and a half seconds for the player list to appear.

I would certainly love to know what is causing the slow-down, but frankly I have no idea.  If you notice any change in this, especially if it appears to be in response to something you've done, please let me know.  That at least gives me a lead to work with.  Right now I just don't have any idea where to go with this.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 02:05:29 PM »
Oh and yes, you can move your license from one PC to another.  In fact, you can use the TD on both if you like.

http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/faq.html#faq3

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 03:45:28 PM »
I am running 2.4.3 on my 600 mghz, PIII laptop with 256 MB of RAM using Win98. ( :o

I can run my 10-20 person tourneys and while there are some slow spots (clock doesn't quite keep up on screen as expected and some minor lags), it still only takes a second or 2 for the bust out dialog & player list to show up.

Probably biggest lag is when I click on a player check box it might take 2 seconds for the check mark to show up.

I even have a message event for each bust out and that shows up with no problems and my various sound events for end of rounds and warnings of end of round play without problem.

All other operations move along o.k.,

I am thrilled that I might get a new laptop next week (2.2gig, 2MB RAM, gonna put in XP rather than Vista) - now THAT aughta make things work properly!!!)

But honestly, the current laptop does its job and I noticed NO DIFFERENCE when I upgraded to current version of TD from previous version (or anywhere along the V2 line - they all had the same little lags that are hardly noticeable).

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 10:54:19 AM »
One other thing to note - I was doing some testing on the latest version under development, and had it hooked up to TV, utilizing the "extended screen" feature on my laptop, where the main Windows screen is on the laptop, but if I move the mouse off of the screen to the right it ends up on the TV.  In the next version you'll be able to have the game screen on the TV (or whatever display device you use) while the settings remains on the PC screen.

The laptop resolution is 1280x800 (I think), and the TV resolution is 1920x1080.  With the main screen (tournament / Player Rankings / Seating Chart) at this high resolution, Internet Explorer has to work much harder, and therefore the program appeared to run more slowly.  The laptop is not too shabby - it's a 3.something GHz dual core with 2GB of ram, but I did notice the slowdown due to IE having to update the large display.  I don't believe (and it shouldn't have) slowed down things like the bust-out dialog, etc, but nevertheless, it's something to keep in mind when you are experiencing the TD being "laggy".