Author Topic: Opening new files in old TTD  (Read 950 times)

Morina

• View Profile
Opening new files in old TTD
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:26:22 AM »
I usually prepare the tournaments at my computer at home where I have version 3.4.2 installed and then bring the file with me to the club. But since we got the out memory issues when running on Windows 10 in the club we decided to go back to Windows 7 and use TTD v3.3.

I prepared the tournament as usual at home and brought it to the club but it gave an error when I tried to open it. The error message was not very helpful either, it said "There was a problem loading the tournament." Can I see exactly what the problem is in a log somewhere?
Or even vetter; do you already know the problem?

Is there an easy fix for this? Like manually remove some parameters in the file.

Will it work if I change to v3.3.1 at home? With that I wonder if the file will work on v3.3 att the club.

RichieD

• View Profile
Re: Opening new files in old TTD
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 04:37:19 AM »
TD is backward compatible for reading previous version tournaments but it will not allow previous version to read later version tournaments.
i.e. v3.4.2 will happily read v3.3 tournaments, but as soon as you save the tournament, it is converted/saved as a v3.4.2 version, thus you won't be able to reload the saved tournament in v3.3

For what it's worth, I'm running TD v3.4.2 on a Windows 7 virtual machine and have found it more stable than v3.3 and haven't seen any more instances of the TD process memory issues exceeding 1Gb (where TD becomes unresponsive).

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 04:03:07 PM »
RichieD is correct, but to be a little more precise, it's more like there's no guarantee an older version will be able to read files saved with a newer version.  In fact, if object structures aren't changed, there's a good possibility an older version will read files from a newer version.  For example, version 3.3 should happily read files from version 3.3.1, because only the "launcher" was changed.  Unfortunately this is more the exception than the rule.

Morina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 04:17:16 PM »
Thank you both RichieD and Coreyfor the responses. :)
I ended up with installing v3.3.1 on my home computer and then editing the tlo-file (layout) and the latest tdt-file (tournament) manually. It was not that much that had changed in the structure so I thought it was easiest way for me since I didn't have a v3.3 version of any of these files at home. It is great to hear it will indeed work at the v3.3 in the club so it not was in vain.

We will think about updating to v3.4.2 at the club, but not just before a tournament, it has to be right after in that case.

begodon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 11:09:21 PM »
Just got this same problem after rolling back to solve the memory issue, maybe you and add and option to save in x.x version, like we have in Illustrator or Corel Draw for example, so we can use different versions of the software when we get problems like this...

tks