Author Topic: Stretch doesn't fit template to screen  (Read 1548 times)

Blind Joe

• View Profile
Stretch doesn't fit template to screen
« on: December 30, 2020, 12:52:01 PM »
I'm having some trouble with the stretch function on screen properties. First I designed a layout on a laptop (1366 x 768), then I connected the laptop to the widescreen TV I use in the card room (1920 x 1080) using an HDMI cable and dragged the main screen over to the second display and went into fullscreen. Everything seemed a little bit off - I had expected things to just scale and, well, stretch to fill the screen, and while the cells themselves did, all the font properties I'd used needed to be increased to look more like the original display. Now I've disconnected the laptop from the TV the main screen is too big for the screen (the bottom is cut off). I had a similar issue with the fonts when switching between a 4k widescreen and 1920 widescreen.

Is there anything I can do about this? I suppose it's not a major issue, but it means every time I want to do anything with a layout I have to connect it to the specific TV I'll be using, otherwise it won't fit or the fonts will be the incorrect size.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Stretch doesn't fit template to screen
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 12:23:34 AM »
Turn on Layout Scaling.  Settings window -> Layout tab -> Preferences -> Enable layout scaling

The built-in layouts are designed with "stretch" enabled, which can account for small differences in screen sizes.  However, when you go from a layout designed for 1024x768 to a display size of 1920x1080, the font sizes become a noticeable factor.  Using a layout designed for your display dimensions is usually the best solution, but enabling scaling is the next best answer.  This scales the entire layout to your display size.

Blind Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 02:07:53 AM »
Turn on Layout Scaling.  Settings window -> Layout tab -> Preferences -> Enable layout scaling

The built-in layouts are designed with "stretch" enabled, which can account for small differences in screen sizes.  However, when you go from a layout designed for 1024x768 to a display size of 1920x1080, the font sizes become a noticeable factor.  Using a layout designed for your display dimensions is usually the best solution, but enabling scaling is the next best answer.  This scales the entire layout to your display size.

Thanks for the answer, but that actually makes it worse. The layout displays as even bigger on the tournament screen now and even more info is missing, rathe than just a bit at the bottom  :-\

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 07:38:17 AM »
Don't forget this part: "Using a layout designed for your display dimensions is usually the best solution"

Which layout are you using?

Blind Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 12:15:08 PM »
Don't forget this part: "Using a layout designed for your display dimensions is usually the best solution"
I know, it's just that in this case it seems like the only solution. It's not a huge deal but it is kind of inconvenient and I can't help thinking it would be very handy to be able to design a layout on pretty much any screen and it be portable to any other screen you connect to TD.

Which layout are you using?
[/quote]
I think I used the built in 1024x768 default as a starting point on my laptop and then modified it. I say think as I'm not 100% sure but it's the one that loads up with TD, right? So I think it would have been that one. Plus, loading the built in defaul for 1920x1080 gives me the same issue where it doesn't fit the screen so I don't think I'd have used that.

I've attached my layout along with some fonts.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 12:26:35 AM »
On the Layout tab, press the Settings button in the Layout Controls section.  Change the Optimal Resolution to your screen dimensions (1920x1080).  This fixed it for me.

Related: press the Preferences button at the bottom of the Layout tab.  In the Layout Scaling section at the bottom of the window that opens, you can override the optimal resolution.  But if the box next to Use optimal resolution setting of the current layout is checked, your setting here won't matter.  That's basically the default: use the optimal resolution that the layout is configured for.  So it's best to do the first step above and set the layout's optimal resolution appropriately.