Author Topic: Problem with data store on mapped network drive  (Read 2129 times)

Morina

• View Profile
Problem with data store on mapped network drive
« on: January 29, 2012, 01:08:14 PM »
I have some problem with having my default data store on a mapped network drive. The network drive is on my NAS and is working without problem. It is also possible to set the data store as I want it but I have to do a work around every time I restart my computer.

1) This is what I get every time I start TTD3 after a restart of my computer when I have the data store active on my NAS.

2) When I go to the Data Store tab it looks like this.

3) When I try to set the Data Store on my NAS as active I get this.

4) To make it work I have to right click and edit the path to the data store and set it to the same directory on the NAS.

5) When I have done that the Data Store work without any problem.

If I close TTD3 and start it again the Data Store is active and work as it should. If I restart the computer and start TTD3 I am back at 1).
Is there any way I can make it work all the time?

/Morina

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Problem with data store on mapped network drive
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »
Morina, TD isn't set up to ideally be done via mapped drives, based upon what i have read. However, I know that JodyBingo does this, and seems to have little to no problems with it. Perhaps he can give you some insight.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »
Here I am...
I don't use mapped drives. Th folder where your data store must be shared, and the full URL to the folder must be used. When I add a new data store on a drive on another PC, the address entered in TD's Data Stores looks like this...
\\homeserv\users\td

That's it. I have several machines (3 to be exact) that use the same data store and if i modify a template it is shared by all copies of TD. There is only one issue which, unfortunately comes up often in my club. The router that provides connectivity for all machines running TD is at the feet of my registration clerk. He often turns the power off on the power bar and TD loses the connection to the host machine. This is a big issue because Auto-Save is always on and if TD tries to save to a non-existent data store an error message pops up. Click OK and it pops up again, until you can unclick the Auto-Save in between pop-ups or the network connection returns.
It reduces the amount of work whn I modify any templates as I don't have to turn on each machine and copy files to each new machine.
PS
I can also use the player database on secondary machines but cannot write to it until only one machine is accessing the DB.
Enjoy
Jody

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 09:21:44 PM »
Not sure what to tell you.  The TD only tries to access the active Data Store folder.  If it is unable to find the folder, then it won't be able to access the player database.  This is the main issue, and there's no way around it except to switch to a known, existing Data Store, which it does.  I do not know why upon startup, and upon trying to activate a particular Data Store, that the software is unable to locate the Data Store folder, but if you edit the Data Store path it is then able to locate it.

Regardless, the TD is only asking Windows, so Windows is telling the TD that the folder doesn't exist.  So this would seem to be outside of the control of the software.

Also, something caught my eye: in the 4th screenshot where the folder browser is displayed, those 3 mapped drives (music, photo, and Privat) each have a red X on the drive icon.  This usually indicates that Windows is unable to connect to the mapped device (at least that's what I think it means).  I have no idea why you are clearly able to browse one of them if Windows thinks it cannot connect.  But this might be an indicator that there's another problem.

Morina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 08:20:20 AM »
I will try two different approaches.
1) I will try to figure out why the mapped drives appear whit a red X, if I solve that it might solve my problem.
2) I will use a shared directory on one of the computers instead.

Thanks for the responses!
BR,
Morina

mcfrojd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 12:15:02 PM »
Im using dropbox folder for my data, that way i can access it from any computer that i have my dropbox account at. allso i allways have backup on my files (dropbox version history)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »
What an excellent idea.

dullgeek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 07:00:19 AM »
At our poker club, we're wanting to start sharing the data via dropbox with a couple of members who also have The TD. So that if the main guy who typically runs the software is out, one of the other ones can easily pick up and start running it.

Is migration of the data to a new location (e.g. the drop box location) as simple as

• copy the data to the new location
  • set up the data store in The TD to use that new location

?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
Should be.