Author Topic: rebuy/add-on - original positions  (Read 10701 times)

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
Re: rebuy/add-on - original positions
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 11:45:33 AM »

The first time I tried this, I re-bought-in the busted out players, however this then resulted in the short stacked re-bought in players all being seated on the same table(s) -

A bit of a quandry for you there Richie, I think no matter which way you do it, you will be doing extra work.  How about setting the tables up so there are no forced movement until the tables fall below 4 players. Then when you add the re-bought players in to the game they would just fill the empty seats.So you would have a mix of players with hi and low stacks.

On the Preference tab, select behaviour. ->Then to Tables tab  default value ->maximum player disparity and change the value to what setting you need.

Another way of getting players to remember there seats is to give out (when players first buy in) a table and seat number ticket. So after the re-buy period each player has a record of where they were sitting.
Or on the tables tab take a screen dump of the tables screen control/alt/Prt Sc, save it in paint and then then you can display it on the screen during the break.

Is the league run by Red tooth?

RichieD

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »
A bit of a quandry for you there Richie, I think no matter which way you do it, you will be doing extra work.  How about setting the tables up so there are no forced movement until the tables fall below 4 players. Then when you add the re-bought players in to the game they would just fill the empty seats.So you would have a mix of players with hi and low stacks.

Another way of getting players to remember there seats is to give out (when players first buy in) a table and seat number ticket. So after the re-buy period each player has a record of where they were sitting.
Or on the tables tab take a screen dump of the tables screen control/alt/Prt Sc, save it in paint and then then you can display it on the screen during the break.

Is the league run by Red tooth?
Players always seem to remember where they first sat down.. so re-seating to original positions is easy.. its just that even with saving the tournament (yes - it *does* save the seating plan) which is a bit of a bodge, you end up having to manually step through all the preceeding rounds up to the rebuy/reload time - it would be cool if a seamless and fool-proof functionn was available to re-seat as per the start of the tournament.

Yes its the Redtooth tournament format.

Thanks for your suggestions..

The Meal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »
I came on this thread because the OP contains the terms "original seat".  I see Corey responded that as of 2012 there is no way to see the original seating chart at the start of the tournament.  (I have already looked through the 3.4.3 software to see if this history was preserved, but was unable to find it.)

If I'm mistaken and the original seating chart history is available for a completed tournament, I'd love a heads-up as to how to find it.

The genesis of my inquiry is that I'm trying to do some data mining after the fact.  Certain players claim to always start on a specific table (no big deal to me, but not so for them).  Additionally, I manually adjust seating for certain players for specific issues (larger players prefer "end" seats; spaced-out players get moved from the center seats) and I'd like to ensure that specific players don't always end up in specific seats (i.e., my most helpful player _always_ ends up in the direct center).

I'm pretty surprised to find this isn't available inherently.  I see the suggestion in this thread to immediately save my tournament file under a different name to preserve the original seating, but that doesn't help me now with my data mining of past tournaments.

Please let me know if I'm missing a current capability of the software, and if it's not already in there, then let this note be a reiteration of a new functionality from the original post.

Thank you,
-Neal

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 10:01:10 PM »
Others out there: if you have a rebuy tournament, do you force players to wait until a specific time (a break perhaps) to be able to rebuy?  If so, how do you handle seating at the rebuy?

In a "typical" rebuy tournament, players cannot miss a single hand. I.E. They rebuy on the spot or leave.

In a re-entry tournament, players can opt to re-enter right away or up until the registration period closes. Re-entry normally stuipulates that the player will change seat but in small tournament that can prove difficult to do.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 10:03:26 PM »
In any re-buy tournament that i have done, the players have to buy in as soon as they are busted.  Only ever seen this done at a poker league, and then the re-entry didn't cost anything.
Indeed, I am running a poker league tournament - unfortunately we are mandated to follow the tournament format which stipulates the (free) rebuy/add-on after the first hour.

Those should be viewed as re-entries really (new player, new seat)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 04:12:45 PM »
I came on this thread because the OP contains the terms "original seat".  I see Corey responded that as of 2012 there is no way to see the original seating chart at the start of the tournament.  (I have already looked through the 3.4.3 software to see if this history was preserved, but was unable to find it.)

If I'm mistaken and the original seating chart history is available for a completed tournament, I'd love a heads-up as to how to find it.

The genesis of my inquiry is that I'm trying to do some data mining after the fact.  Certain players claim to always start on a specific table (no big deal to me, but not so for them).  Additionally, I manually adjust seating for certain players for specific issues (larger players prefer "end" seats; spaced-out players get moved from the center seats) and I'd like to ensure that specific players don't always end up in specific seats (i.e., my most helpful player _always_ ends up in the direct center).

I'm pretty surprised to find this isn't available inherently.  I see the suggestion in this thread to immediately save my tournament file under a different name to preserve the original seating, but that doesn't help me now with my data mining of past tournaments.

Please let me know if I'm missing a current capability of the software, and if it's not already in there, then let this note be a reiteration of a new functionality from the original post.

Thank you,
-Neal

The software does not preserve all seating assignments and moves.  It can get really messy when we think about including manually moved players and players that have been removed from the tournament.  That's not necessarily why it isn't preserved, it was just never thought to be something that would be useful.  To an extent moves are saved, in that there's an undo/redo feature, but that isn't saved with your tournament.  It's really just meant to help guard against mistakes.

I don't recall when I added it, but initial seating is listed in the Tournament History.  Looking at the changes.txt file, it seems it was added way back in version 2.5, so a looong time ago (way before 2012, but looking at this post history it doesn't look like I gave an answer; likely at the time I had forgotten it was there).  Later in version 3.2 I added player movement (as a preference I think).  And then in 3.4 I added some more preferences.

The Meal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 09:03:57 AM »
If ... the original seating chart history is available for a completed tournament, I'd love a heads-up as to how to find it.

The software does not preserve all seating assignments and moves.  It can get really messy when we think about including manually moved players and players that have been removed from the tournament.  That's not necessarily why it isn't preserved, it was just never thought to be something that would be useful.  To an extent moves are saved, in that there's an undo/redo feature, but that isn't saved with your tournament.  It's really just meant to help guard against mistakes.

I don't recall when I added it, but initial seating is listed in the Tournament History.  Looking at the changes.txt file, it seems it was added way back in version 2.5, so a looong time ago (way before 2012, but looking at this post history it doesn't look like I gave an answer; likely at the time I had forgotten it was there).  Later in version 3.2 I added player movement (as a preference I think).  And then in 3.4 I added some more preferences.

I can understand why seating changes are not preserved with the tournament files.  Other than the case of an extremely arcane complaint after a tournament, I can't think why folks may want to look back on that data.

You state that initial seating is preserved in the Tournament History.  How would I go about accessing that information?

Thank you,
-Neal

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 01:11:07 PM »
Sorry I didn't explicitly state that.  Just press the History button on the Game tab, or right-click in the Game window and select Tournament history.  It will open in a "modeless" dialog (which means it's on top of the main window, but you can leave it open and still access other windows).  So if you want to leave it open you can.  You can actually add your own items to the history, too, which is probably a feature most people don't realize.  Say something happens during your tournament you want to record.  Just add an entry to the history.  It will show up in a slightly different color to signify it's a user-added comment, and will have a timestamp.

Also, on the Preferences tab, select the behavior category.  Near the end of the list of checkboxes you'll find Record accepted player movement suggestions in Tournament History and Record manual player movement in Tournament History.

The Meal

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 08:42:59 PM »
Yep, there it is.  Thank you sir.  That satisfies my wants.