Author Topic: 500+ player tournament ran by TD  (Read 2442 times)

whirlers

• View Profile
500+ player tournament ran by TD
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:49:34 AM »
I have been asked to help run a 500+ 3 day poker event and they are planning on using TD i hear. I have never used TD to this scale, probally 40 - 50 players max normally. I have no doubt i can handle this amount of players, but my question is can TD handle this amount of players.
I heard off a friend that they ran a 300 player game with TD and after knocking around 100 players out, TD started to slow down and struggle getting a 10-15 sec pause & freeze whenever you did any action with TD, getting worse the more player you knock out. Ended up having a 40 - 50 sec pause whenever doing a action with TD.
Now i have nbo idea on what hardware they were running TD on at the time, and was wondering if TD can handle this amount of players on a decent laptop. Or is this slowdown issue a common fault due to the pure amount of information TD is moving around with 300+ players.

Any advice would be appreciated
Thx
Graham

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 500+ player tournament ran by TD
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 11:53:44 AM »
I personally have never experienced this issue, and I've run tests with 200, 500, and 1000 players.  So I can't say if it's a PC speed issue, memory issue, or an Internet Explorer issue.

Frankly, I would hesitate to run a tournament of that size with full player tracking using any software.  You're going to spend your entire time busting players out and moving them.  Tournaments of that size usually have several tournament directors managing player movement, etc.

I would put the software in Simple mode (Players tab -> Track Players button) and run it that way, and get some help in balancing tables.

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 09:20:18 AM »
Frankly, I would hesitate to run a tournament of that size with full player tracking using any software.  You're going to spend your entire time busting players out and moving them.  Tournaments of that size usually have several tournament directors managing player movement, etc.

I would put the software in Simple mode (Players tab -> Track Players button) and run it that way, and get some help in balancing tables.

Totally Agree.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

shushs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 06:19:25 AM »
In older versions of TD, I would experience issues where TD would start to become increasingly less responsive. But IIRC, it was tied to some Explorer bug that was leaking memory. It has been some time since I had this issue.

w/r/t 500 players... when and where is this? What's the structure? What is the buy in? =)

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 05:12:44 PM »
Used to regularly run 200 region of players tournaments with powerful PC.  No slowdown issues whatsoever.  think a couple of times during one time period it would crash once during a tournament but we just restarted the application i believe. 

We just used TD to register, initial seating draw then for displaying blinds, breaks, prizemoney and a current player count and table count, we balanced tables manually using seat cards which is very effective for MTTs with probably around 1 floor person for every 5-10 tables (Your seat cards told you what was empty, how many players you had left as the players handed in the seat cards for empty chairs as they busted and then ket you informed of short handed tables and when you could break tables down).  Once we were down to the money we gathered the remaining players names, and busted everyone out and re-entered the remaining players names and busted out in the correct order from there on in and did a final table seating draw using the software.

Theres so many different ways you can use the software though.  If you have enough staff on the floor the names can be eliminated in the correct order for example.  Simple mode allows the screen to be kept upto date without names being ran through.  The way we did it worked well though as when you get down to the bubble you have a lot more floor staff to keep on top of names.

UHF radios really help those sizes of tournaments, someone can be at the terminal full time updating the tournament in real time.  My way allowed regular updates to player/table counts by counting the spare seat cards.  Its more about the floor staffing level than the software in my experience, most software out there can handle 500 players no problem, but that size of tournament is no good on any software unless you have the staff to keep upto date.

Stuart Murray