Author Topic: No file (load/save) dialogs  (Read 43862 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No file (load/save) dialogs
« on: December 17, 2008, 11:21:03 AM »
Update Jan 18, 2009: Version 2.5.5 contains a fix for this problem.  Please download the latest version of the Tournament Director if you are experiencing this issue:
http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/download.html

A number of you are reporting that file dialogs are no longer working.  That means that when you press the "Load" button to load a tournament, or the "Save As..." button to save a tournament, or any button that would open a file browser dialog, essentially nothing happens.

It seems at the moment that this may have been caused by a recent update to Internet Explorer 7.  I am currently researching this issue.  As always, it's easiest if I can reproduce the problem myself so I can try to work through it, but I have been unsuccessful thus far.

So this will be the main topic for this issue.  If you are experiencing this problem and can provide help or information, please post to this topic.  I'm going to point other open topics to this one.

As a first stab at this, here's something to try:

1) Close the TD and any open instances of Internet Explorer.  For good measure, you should close all running programs.
2) On the Windows Start menu, select "Run..."
3) Type the following and press Enter:

regsvr32 /u comdlg32.ocx

4) You should see a dialog like the this:

5) Press the "OK" button, then start the TD
6) You *may* see a dialog like this:

7) If so, press the "No" button
8 ) After the TD initializes, press the "Load" button and see if the file browser dialog opens
9) If so, yay!
10) If not, close the TD and repeat these steps.  When you get to step 7, press the "Yes" button instead
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 10:04:32 PM by Corey Cooper »

Ang3loP

• View Profile
Re: No file (load/save) dialogs
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 11:59:50 AM »
Hello Corey,

I just do what you request.

And the first time on the 6 point, I have this message:

I've not install this cab file. And I run TD but unfortunatly, the same error.

I retry after that and Accept to install this file but unfortunatly the same error again.

Kind regards,

djlakeland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 06:04:15 PM »
Hy Corey,

its not working, i try all so you say but i have the same promlem like Ang3IoP.

Nothing work
 ???

gutshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 10:50:29 PM »
Hi Cory

I have the same problem. Cant load or save. Did the procedure you requested and it does not help. Any other suggestions?

nadol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 06:52:50 AM »
+1

rbauman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 08:56:34 AM »
After many hours of  trying alot of things and several communications with Corey we got TD working again. The problem is it appears the final fix was to remove Vista from the computer then reloaded it with the disks that originally came with my computer no Idea why but it worked for us Corey might advise if this is the right thing for you to do.  I might also add that my computer is brand new. One other thing when prompted to run the active X we choose not to do so, We also turned off automatic updates. Once again TD has operated like its suppose to with out one flaw.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 11:55:58 AM »
At this point, I believe it to be an update from Microsoft that is causing this issue, but I haven't been able to identify it or even reproduce it.  I've gotten all of the latest updates on Windows XP home, XP Pro, XP Media Center, and Server 2003, but none have yet had this issue.

Ang3loP: the dialog you saw to install "comdlg32.cab" is troubling because you should never see this dialog.  This seems to indicate a change in the Windows/IE security model.  If you do see this, you should definitely install it, as this is the control that allows the TD to access the system file dialogs.  The point of this exercise was to remove the control and allow the TD to re-install it and see if this might fix the issue.  Obviously it did not.

I assume that, if an update did cause the issue, that removing the update might return the TD to a working state.  That might help narrow down which update is giving us trouble (again, if it is an update).  If anyone's willing to try this...

- Open the Control Panel
- Open "Add or Remove Programs"
- Make sure "Change or Remove Programs" is selected on the left
- Check the box "Show updates" at the top
- Scroll down to "Windows Internet Explorer"
- The updates to Internet Explorer should be listed in the order that they were installed.  Work backwards and remove the last update (take note of the update number - it should be of the format "KBnnnnnn", like KB958215).  You may have to reboot afterwards.  Then run the TD and see if the load/save dialogs work.

At some point in the future, Windows Update should automatically or prompt you to re-install any updates you remove, and if not you can always re-install them manually as long as you know the update number.

mickeyk28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 02:27:50 PM »
Corey,
I am having the same problem with my version of the TD.
I have tried your different methods to fix it and it still wont work.
Do you know the exact update no. that is causing the problem?
Also, are there any older versions of the TD available for download as they might work?

fiveonomo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »
Hey guys, not sure if I can help, but here it goes.  I downloaded the TD a week or so ago and everything was OK, but that was it, OK.  What I mean is, I thought it should be preforming better.  Then I went to save a tournament and it would not do it, the computer started acting crazy.  It has been sometime since my computer has been cleaned up professionally, so I took it to the shop.  My computer guy told me that internet explorer 7 is having some big issues and that is what was running on my computer.  He told me that he recomended me to go back to 6, and when they fix 7 we can reload  it.  He is the expert, so I went with his advice.  We did a few other things and my computer runs better now than it ever has.  The TD runs perfect, I could'nt ask for better.  I think it had everything to do with internet explorer 7, my issues have been fixed.  I hope this helps.  Scott

djlakeland

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 04:01:32 PM »
Hello Corey

normaly i like to use the TD on my Laptop, but now i think i trying the TD on my Desktop PC.
I Install it, Register It and Try it and I can hardly believe it. It Works.
All Buttons working, i use on my PCs WinXP not Vista.
No i Check which Updates i have on my Laptop and which on my Desktop.
I found this ONLY on my Laptop (sorry its German) Sicherheitsupdate für Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB933566)
i uninstall it and the TD is Work !!
Also, uninstall the Update with the Nummer KB933566 and its Work

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 09:30:33 PM »
djlakeland: This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get, thank you very much.

KB933566 does have a component that is very relevant to this problem, so there is a good chance this will yield some good information.  The problem I see is that this update was released initially in November of 2007, which means to me there should have been a lot more people experiencing this TD issue a lot sooner than now.  Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of that.  I installed this update on one machine but still it does not cause the issue to occur for me.  I'm working on installing it on other versions of Windows to see if I can replicate the problem...

mickeyk28: I think your first question has already been answered: no, I don't know what update might be causing the issue (which is kind of the point of this exercise).  And unfortunately this issue will most likely affect ALL versions of the TD.

dodgerfan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 08:57:16 AM »
I'm not sure if this is helpful or not but I have TD loaded on a PC that is running XP and I'm have no issues with all of the latest Microsoft updates and a laptop that is running on Vista that worked until the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista (KB958215) was loaded on 12/11.  Now there was like 10 other updates that day but I think this was the only one that IE specific.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 11:38:14 AM »
For any of you experiencing this issue, did sounds in the TD stop playing, too?  Go to the Events tab, right click any of the sounds and select "Play sound".

dodgerfan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 05:51:59 PM »
Corey,

Sounds are still working on my laptop.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 12:44:37 PM »
Hmmm... well, that's a little disappointing, but doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I've made a change to the software that complies with one of the suspected Windows updates.  I'm going to try to get it packaged up and uploaded to the site later today.  I'm not holding on to a lot of hope for this fix, but if one of you experiencing this issue wouldn't mind downloading and testing it, I would appreciate it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:50:17 AM by Corey Cooper »