Author Topic: Formula for upcoming league  (Read 1017 times)

marhault

• View Profile
Formula for upcoming league
« on: March 04, 2020, 08:23:51 AM »
So I've just recently downloaded TD and tried it out for the first time last week at a tournament. It worked great. I knew TD had the capability to auto calculate points for leagues and such but I didn't have time to mess with it prior to the first tournament. So I have a question. Can I go back and retroactively add the formula in to an already completed tournament to see how it would calculate the points? Also even though I had no formula entered TD seemed to calculate points somehow. Does anyone know what the standard formula is?

My other question after spending a week reading about the formula information is to ask for help creating a formula for my league. We won't be starting till the Fall but I wanted to have plenty of monthly tournaments to apply it to and tweak to get it right before September. What I need is a scaled point system based on the number of players. I'd like each lower placing to get less points than the one above it all the way down to the first person knocked out. I'd also like to give bonus points for bounties as we frequently use those at our tournaments. For placing a basic idea would be something like 1 point for last place, scaling all the way up to say if 20 people play that first is worth 20 points. I would like to know how to adjust the points though because I'm going to need to run multiples of that I'm thinking. Another thing I need is a penalty for rebuys, which is why I'll need multiples. So it might need to start at 100 points for last place scaling in 100's with each place up to first place. Then minus 25 points for rebuys. For bounties I need something like 10 points for a bounty.

So the TLDR version. Need a formula that awards 100 points for last place, and 100 points for each place higher than last all the way to first, that way larger tournaments first gets more points. Negative 25 points for rebuys, and +10 points for bounties (knockouts). Any help is greatly appreciated, I just can't seem to wrap my mind around the formula stuff.

marhault

• View Profile
Re: Formula for upcoming league
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 10:15:21 AM »
Ok, I asked some other users and played with the formula a little bit more. This is what I have came up with.

(buyins * 100 - rank * 100 + 100) - (rebuys * 25) + (numberofhits * 10)

The formula appears to work. However here's the question I have. Does TD consider a bounty a "hit" as well? Or are they independent?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 12:39:17 PM »
So I've just recently downloaded TD and tried it out for the first time last week at a tournament. It worked great. I knew TD had the capability to auto calculate points for leagues and such but I didn't have time to mess with it prior to the first tournament. So I have a question. Can I go back and retroactively add the formula in to an already completed tournament to see how it would calculate the points?

Yes.  At any time.  The TD is basically "recompute on demand".  Any change you make to the tournament causes the application to recompute the entire state of the tournament.
Everything.  From rankings, to points, prizes, chops, bounties, ... everything.

Stats work the same way.  There are no "running totals" stored anywhere.  Instead, when you run stats you are making the application load every tournament and compute them right then and there.  So a change made to one of 100 tournaments you have saved will cause the stats totals to change when you run them the next time.

Also even though I had no formula entered TD seemed to calculate points somehow. Does anyone know what the standard formula is?

The TD won't calculate any points by itself.  There is no default formula for a tournament.  In a tournament, players can be awarded points in several ways.  From the "Points for Playing" formula on the Game tab.  From the "Points" fields on the Game tab in the Buy-in, Add-on, and Rebuy sections.  Or by winning prizes that have points.  If players are awarded points in your tournament, one of those fields must have a value in it.

When you run stats, there are some default formulas, but those create a Tournament Score and an Overall Score, not points.  Those are two different things.

My other question after spending a week reading about the formula information is to ask for help creating a formula for my league. We won't be starting till the Fall but I wanted to have plenty of monthly tournaments to apply it to and tweak to get it right before September. What I need is a scaled point system based on the number of players. I'd like each lower placing to get less points than the one above it all the way down to the first person knocked out. I'd also like to give bonus points for bounties as we frequently use those at our tournaments. For placing a basic idea would be something like 1 point for last place, scaling all the way up to say if 20 people play that first is worth 20 points. I would like to know how to adjust the points though because I'm going to need to run multiples of that I'm thinking. Another thing I need is a penalty for rebuys, which is why I'll need multiples. So it might need to start at 100 points for last place scaling in 100's with each place up to first place. Then minus 25 points for rebuys. For bounties I need something like 10 points for a bounty.

So the TLDR version. Need a formula that awards 100 points for last place, and 100 points for each place higher than last all the way to first, that way larger tournaments first gets more points. Negative 25 points for rebuys, and +10 points for bounties (knockouts). Any help is greatly appreciated, I just can't seem to wrap my mind around the formula stuff.

I see you've already answered your own question in a followup post, so I'll just provide a slightly simpler form:

(position * 100) - (rebuys * 25) + (numberofhits * 10)

Position is basically the inverse of the rank.

The formula appears to work. However here's the question I have. Does TD consider a bounty a "hit" as well? Or are they independent?

Hits are knock-outs or bust-outs.  Anytime a player is busted out, they are always busted out by someone else (or possibly more than one player, I guess, depending on your conventions).  This is always a "hit" in the TD.  Hits sometimes have bounties associated with them.  For example, a prize may be designated as a "bounty on player ____".  The TD also has the notion of "bounty chips".  I think the norm is that in a "bounty tournament" everyone pays for a bounty chip, which is surrendered to the person who busts you out of the tournament.  So this is also bounty (and a hit).  But the TD does not require that all players purchase the bounty chip.  And it allows players who have not bought bounty chips to win bounty chips (that's the "Restrict bounties" option).  Bottom line is a player busting out is always a hit, but it could also be a bounty.

marhault

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 04:10:59 AM »
One thing I've noticed. When you go back to add a formula to an already completed tournament it changes the totals for the calculations on the "stats" tab but when you go and look at the prizes tab it doesn't add up the points. It just shows 0 for the points. I've tried multiple ways and it still never retroactively adds the points to this tab. Is there anything I can do to fix that?

Thanks for the quick response to my previous question.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 06:51:48 AM »
Prizes can be used to award prize pool money and points.  But the points are static.  You can use a formula or percentages to award points with Prizes (at least not at the currently).  So there's nothing to compute on the Prizes tab, with regards to points.