Author Topic: NEVER NEVER NEVER mess with something if it works!!!!!!!!  (Read 4492 times)

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
NEVER NEVER NEVER mess with something if it works!!!!!!!!
« on: March 09, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »
I have been happily using version 2.5.12 on my laptop (Old with XP but I only use it for poker) with no problems.

A little popup told me there's a 'new version' so I thought OK why not, it should be better...        shouldn't it???

So I downloaded it sent off for my new licence number etc. and tried loading it - I should have been concerned when it needed IE8 but undeterred I upgraded to IE8 and continued to load the new 'better' version.

I have my tournaments set up in such a way that when loaded all I have to do is add players, which automatically buys them in, seat them randomly and press start and we're away. On the ‘Add Player To Tournament’ screen, I only want one list of names, how do I get rid of the other columns?

When seating players, I have a 9 seat table and an 8 seat table. When seating 8 players on the 9 seat table the old version would always put them in seats 1-8 leaving seat 9 free. The new version varies the ‘free’ seat despite checking the ‘seat players as near to seat 1 as possible’ in preferences. How do I persuade it to leave seat 9 free?

Now the BIG problem:

The clock does not display correctly. It seems to be keeping correct time overall but the display hesitates
so instead of:
15.00 – 14.59 – 14.58 – 14.57 – 14.56 – 14.55 – 14.54 – 14.53 – 14.52 – 14.51 – 14.50 – etc.
You get:
15.00 – 14.59 – 14.58 – 14.58 – 14.58 – 14.55 – 14.54 – 14.54 – 14.52 – 14.51 – 14.50

I was so impressed I tried to launch version 2.5.12 only to find all the layouts and database were missing and it couldn’t find them. (yes I know they’re not ‘lost’ but it will take time to set it all up again). It seems that this new version has ‘high jacked’ the data and hidden it from the earlier version!!!

I’m sorry but I can’t see the improvements or benefits of this upgrade and I really regret the change, I’ve had nothing but problems. However now that I have upgraded I need to get it sorted – especially the clock.

So to recap:
1.   How do I get rid of unwanted columns on the ‘Add Players To Tournament Screen’?
2.   How do I persuade it to leave the higher numbered seats clear?
3.   What can be done to improve the clocks erratic display?

No doubt I will find other problems but these are the main ones for now.

JB

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
Re: NEVER NEVER NEVER mess with something if it works!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »
Sorry to hear your upgrade didn't go well, there are considerable improvement with version 3 that has gone in and I for one am benefiting greatly from these on a commercial basis, but I fully sympathise with your situation.

1) There are 4 columbs on mine, Name, Nickname, First Name and Last Name, which I can't see an option for getting rid if them,  but you can right click on the unwanted columbs and set their width to 1 so they (nearly) disappear

2) It should do this with a random seating draw unless you perhaps have "Auto-Seat Players" checked which will try to utilise any available seat.  It avoids high numbers for me, but then I do one seating draw once registration has closed. Perhaps the only way you could avoid this is if you delete seat 9 to avoid it being used before it's needed.

3) You won't like my answer to this one - I have saw this problem before and it simply because your PC does not have enough resources available to keep TD running smoothly, obviously not a problem for high end laptops etc but for an older desktop PC running XP, I fear it's simply a case that it can't keep up, try the most basic tournament screen available to see if it runs ok, if you have a fancy layout with lots of information it is refreshing everything on that screen (or trying to) every second, so a big ask for an older machine.

To be honest you can upgrade your PC, or go back to the older version of TD which worked well for you, but you would have a lot of problems moving everything back unless you did what is recommended before upgrade and backed up your directories?

Regards
Stu
Stuart Murray

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 08:44:33 PM »
I am also sorry you are having trouble with the new version.  I understand this can be frustrating, especially since version 2 was working for you.  I'll do my best to help.  Let me address a few of your points first:

I have been happily using version 2.5.12 on my laptop (Old with XP but I only use it for poker) with no problems.

A little popup told me there's a 'new version' so I thought OK why not, it should be better...        shouldn't it???

So I downloaded it sent off for my new licence number etc. and tried loading it - I should have been concerned when it needed IE8 but undeterred I upgraded to IE8 and continued to load the new 'better' version.

Version 3 doesn't "need" IE8, but it is recommended.  IE7 is required.  IE8 has some pretty dramatic scripting performance improvements over previous versions of IE, so I do highly recommend it.

I have my tournaments set up in such a way that when loaded all I have to do is add players, which automatically buys them in, seat them randomly and press start and we're away. On the ‘Add Player To Tournament’ screen, I only want one list of names, how do I get rid of the other columns?

When seating players, I have a 9 seat table and an 8 seat table. When seating 8 players on the 9 seat table the old version would always put them in seats 1-8 leaving seat 9 free. The new version varies the ‘free’ seat despite checking the ‘seat players as near to seat 1 as possible’ in preferences. How do I persuade it to leave seat 9 free?

Seating management has not changed in version 3.  So whatever worked in version 2 should be exactly the same in version 3.  The option "Seat players as close to seat 1 as possible" still works.  However, if you are using the Auto Seat feature at buy-in (which is implied by your statements above), then the software does not automatically seat close to seat 1.  This is explained in the user manual and in the Auto Seat tooltip, and has not changed in version 3.  The "Auto Seat" option at buy-in seats players at any open seat and table/seating balance is not taken into consideration.

Now the BIG problem:

The clock does not display correctly. It seems to be keeping correct time overall but the display hesitates
so instead of:
15.00 – 14.59 – 14.58 – 14.57 – 14.56 – 14.55 – 14.54 – 14.53 – 14.52 – 14.51 – 14.50 – etc.
You get:
15.00 – 14.59 – 14.58 – 14.58 – 14.58 – 14.55 – 14.54 – 14.54 – 14.52 – 14.51 – 14.50

This does, unfortunately, sound like a resource issue as Stuart described.  The layout was improved to allow more varied conditions, which will take some additional processor work.  However, there were efficiency improvements as well that would have hopefully offset this.  Further, the performance improvements in IE8 should definitely make up the difference.  But without further information/testing/evidence/that sort of thing, I'd make the guess that the hardware isn't sufficient.

I was so impressed I tried to launch version 2.5.12 only to find all the layouts and database were missing and it couldn’t find them. (yes I know they’re not ‘lost’ but it will take time to set it all up again). It seems that this new version has ‘high jacked’ the data and hidden it from the earlier version!!!

Absolutely not.  The software has changed nothing as far as where your data is stored.  Want to return to using version 2?  It's easy.  Because version 3 installs as a separate application and does not "upgrade" version 2, unless you specifically direct it to install in the same folder as version 2, then you should still have version 2 installed and can use it at any time.  Version 3 does install new versions of the default templates, and will upgrade your database to the new format (IF and ONLY IF you make a change to the database from version 3), but all you need to do is restore a backup of your data.  If you followed the instructions in the big red box on the Download page (http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/download), this shouldn't be a problem.  Even if you didn't, that's OK.  Download and install the latest version 2 (2.5.13) from the Download page.  I released a new version of 2 in which I back-ported the database code.  So version 2.5.13 can read a version 3 database.  And I added a feature in version 2.5.13 to make it easy to get your version 2 templates back.  Just follow these instructions:

• Start the TD (version 2.5.13)
  • Select the Preferences tab
  • Press the Data Stores button
  • Right-click the Active Data Store and select Initialize
  • Check "Always overwrite existing files"
  • Press the OK button
  • Exit and restart the TD (version 2.5.13)

I’m sorry but I can’t see the improvements or benefits of this upgrade and I really regret the change, I’ve had nothing but problems. However now that I have upgraded I need to get it sorted – especially the clock.

So to recap:
1.   How do I get rid of unwanted columns on the ‘Add Players To Tournament Screen’?
2.   How do I persuade it to leave the higher numbered seats clear?
3.   What can be done to improve the clocks erratic display?

No doubt I will find other problems but these are the main ones for now.

JB

1.  You can't get rid of those presently.  They were added to aid in choosing players, and I have an item to allow them to be selectable (a preference), but until I complete that feature, they're not optional.
2.  See my comments above.
3.  Make sure you've got the latest video drivers.  Make sure there's nothing else unnecessarily running on the PC.  You could even try downgrading to IE7 to see if it helped.  I would suggest upgrading to IE9, but I don't believe it's available for XP.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 11:32:41 PM »
Had replied via my phone, guess it never took (as I'm on my laptop now)... An option on the seat 9 issue, at least if you want to keep it and not delete it is this - on the tables tab, right click on seat 9, and select "Make seat unavailable". You can configure the text for whatever you would like to be (I use "reserved for dealer" on my tables).
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:52:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Please bear in mind I'm using 2.5.12 not 2.5.13 - I don't know if that matters or not!

When I launch Ver 2.5.12 I get a warning message 'Name: TypeError: 10 - 5009 Description: 'MFDB' is undefined Message: 'MFDB' is undefined'
When I click OK the next message box states 'There was an error initializing the database.

I tried following Corey's instructions to initialize the database but can't find where to Check "Always overwrite existing files"

On re-starting 2.5.12 I still get the same error messages.

I must stress that everything really was OK before I put ver3 on.

JB

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 09:09:29 AM »
Download and install the latest version 2 (2.5.13) from the Download page.  I released a new version of 2 in which I back-ported the database code.  So version 2.5.13 can read a version 3 database.  And I added a feature in version 2.5.13 to make it easy to get your version 2 templates back.  Just follow these instructions:

• Start the TD (version 2.5.13)
  • Select the Preferences tab
  • Press the Data Stores button
  • Right-click the Active Data Store and select Initialize
  • Check "Always overwrite existing files"
  • Press the OK button
  • Exit and restart the TD (version 2.5.13)

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »
Sorry Corey - I have now loaded 2.5.13 got rid of IE8, installed IE7 and initialized the database as instructed - and guess what...

ALL IS FINE - clock runs smoothly and everything is working just as I want it.  ;D

I did try ver3 with IE7 and it also runs smoothly so the problem is IE8

However there is still a problem with seating players in v3 - I made sure that:
'Auto seat' was unchecked
'Automatically randomize seating at final table' was unchecked
'When moving players, seat players as close to seat 1 as possible' was checked
On a 9 seat table I entered 5 players and it put them in seats 1, 3, 5, 6, 7  ???

I'm glad we've sorted v2 out - I think TD(v2) is a great program but v3...

Maybe I should just buy a new Laptop - nah 1MB memory and 80GB HD - enough for any man - I remember the ZX80 - ZX81 - Spectrum - aahh happy days!!!

Thanks again for the help
JB

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:53:13 AM »
I'll have too disagree on v3, I love it, Layouts, click & drag cells, export cells & screens from different layouts,(sweet) & set better cells & token conditions, & THE DASH BOARD and on & on ( What your missing I'm enjoying ) but too each is his own i guess.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »
However there is still a problem with seating players in v3 - I made sure that:
'Auto seat' was unchecked
'Automatically randomize seating at final table' was unchecked
'When moving players, seat players as close to seat 1 as possible' was checked
On a 9 seat table I entered 5 players and it put them in seats 1, 3, 5, 6, 7  ???

OK, you've listed your settings, but "On a 9 seat table I entered 5 players and it put them in seats 1, 3, 5, 6, 7" isn't very specific on exactly what you did.

With 10 players and 2 tables of 8 seats:

1) If I use the "Auto Seat" option and buy everyone in at once, the players are placed randomly at various tables, not necessarily "close to seat 1".
2) If I buy the players in without "Auto Seat", then press the "Suggest Movement" button on the Tables tab, the players are seated 5 at each table, in seats 1 through 5 (no empty seats between them).  This is regardless of whether or not the option "When moving players, seat players as close to seat 1 as possible" is enabled.
3) If I have 9 players seated, 5 at table 1 and 4 at table 2, and then press "Suggest Movement", the software picks a random seat at table 2 for the unseated player.  If the "'close to seat 1" option is checked, the randomness is removed and the software will only suggest the player sit in the first empty seat at table 2.
4) If I seat 2 players at table 1 and 8 players at table 2 and press "Suggest Movement", the software selects 3 players to be moved from table 2 to table 1, and picks random [destination] seats at table 1 if "'close to seat 1" is NOT enabled.  If I enable "'close to seat 1" and repeat, the software always picks the first 3 empty seats at table 1 as the destination seats.

I can't come up with a scenario where it doesn't work properly.  Maybe you can give a more detailed description of what you are doing.

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
OK I've tried a few things and I think I've found the problem!

My template for my games has me permanently locked into table 1 seat 1 - this is to give me easy access to chips for rebuys and add ons etc and update computer when people bust out.

Table 1 has 9 seats.

So I load the template and add 4 more players (preferences 'Buy-In Players' is checked)

Go to 'Tables' tab and press 'Seat Players' click ok to move and they are randomly placed but not in seats 1-5 just done it again and the seating is: 1, 2, 3, 6, 9

This only seems to happen when a player is locked in seat 1 - if there is no one locked in seat 1 (all seats available) then it does keep players in seats 1-5

Ver2 keeps plyers in 1-5 regardless of whether a player is locked in seat 1

Hope this helps.

JB

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »
This is great.  The explicit steps really help.

However, I still don't see the same behavior.

I've got: 1 table with 9 seats.  5 players bought-in.  1 player seated at seat 1 and locked in the seat, the other 4 players unseated.  I press "Seat Players" button.  If "'close to seat 1" option is disabled, the players are seated randomly at the table.  If "'close to seat 1" is enabled, players are consistently seated at seats 2, 3, 4, and 5 (while 1 player is still locked in seat 1).

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 11:28:43 AM »
Checked the settings:

Under 'Preferences' - 'Behaviour' - at the bottom of the list under 'Table Tab Settings' - the ONLY two boxes checked are:

'Automayically suggest player movement'
and
'When moving players, seat as close to seat 1 as possible'

Just tried again and got seats 1, 3, 4, 7, 9

It's strange that you cannot reproduce this!

For me it won't be a problem, I'll just continue with v2.5.13 but others may have similar problems.

JB

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 05:20:53 AM »
I'll have too disagree on v3, I love it, Layouts, click & drag cells, export cells & screens from different layouts,(sweet) & set better cells & token conditions, & THE DASH BOARD and on & on ( What your missing I'm enjoying ) but too each is his own i guess.

Have to agree with Timmer. V3 much, much better. A great piece of work by Corey.  A lot easier to use. Would be a shame to give up on it Jolly.

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 10:44:08 AM »
By the way your DATA would have been in TD-2 folder as mine was.