Author Topic: PokerStars 20% prize payouts  (Read 4693 times)

Phaze

• View Profile
PokerStars 20% prize payouts
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:12:33 PM »
Well working on a different post http://thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=698.0 I had a kind of idea and wanted some help with it. Basically, I think what Hemi wanted was the program's formula function to figure out his prizes. I don't think thats what the formula was supposed to do.

It got me thinking though. Say I wanted more versatility and do put my own prize formula in. How would I do that . For example, I wanted to copy PokerStars 20% prize payout, so it would be similar to this: http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/tournaments/rules/prize-structure/

Is there a way to do this now or should I be writing this in the suggestions section?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PokerStars 20% prize payouts
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 01:38:38 PM »
Automatic Prizes

Configure the automaticPrizes.xml file with the prize levels that you want, and presto, it will update your prizes automatically to match the number of players in your tournament.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 02:46:22 PM »
Its like spelunking an explored cave and finding a cavern you've never seen before... thanks

wbtczn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:40:38 PM »
Automatic Prizes

Configure the automaticPrizes.xml file with the prize levels that you want, and presto, it will update your prizes automatically to match the number of players in your tournament.

Question -- how should I edit an XML file?  I tried opening the automaticprizes.xml file in Notebook, but all I can save it as is a .TXT file.  I tried copying the contents of my .TXT file into a Word doc and then saving as an .XML doc.  That save fine, but when I try to change the config file list in TD, I get an error message of 'Automatic prizes file: File contains no <prizeLevels>!'.  I look at my XML file, and there is a <prizeLevels> in there.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:48:37 PM »
Edit it with Notepad.  Notepad should not force you to save it with a .TXT extension.  It usually only forces the .TXT extension for new files - not for editing existing files.

If it DOES, then after you save the file, rename it and remove the .TXT extension.

Microsoft Word will try to get fancy with the XML file and put a bunch of stuff in it that the TD is not expecting, so don't use it to edit the file.

badbeat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 04:33:15 AM »
I had the same problem, on my rare adventure into this area of TD, I also found notepad would only save as a .txt file. I searched and found XMLpad from WMhelp.com, a freeware editing program. Seemed to work ok for the couple of times I've I needed it and was fairly easy to use. (www.wmhelp.com)

Scotty K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 10:51:18 PM »
Here's something even easier...

You can indeed use Notepad, but when you save the modified file, type in the extension .xml on the file name.  I did that and it worked fine.

wbtczn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »
Edit it with Notepad.  Notepad should not force you to save it with a .TXT extension...

Thanks for the feedback.  There were two problems.  The first was I opened the autoprizes file first and then tried to do a save as, so I could change the name.  That brought up the save dialog box which would only allow a .TXT format.  The second was, when I tried to change the extension via Windows Explorer, it saw the .txt as part of the filename, not an extension change.  That was because I had the extensions hidden in Windows Explorer.

So I had two ways I could fix it:

• In Windows Explorer, copy the autoprizes file, paste it, and then change the name
  • Turn extension on within Windows Explorer and rename the new saved file

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 12:05:16 AM »
When you save a file with Notepad, the Save dialog has a selection "Save as type", which defaults to "Text Documents (*.txt)", but also allows you to select "All Files".  Select "All Files" and it won't try to append ".txt" to the filename.

wbtczn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 05:10:08 PM »
When you save a file with Notepad, the Save dialog has a selection "Save as type", which defaults to "Text Documents (*.txt)", but also allows you to select "All Files".  Select "All Files" and it won't try to append ".txt" to the filename.

Yup - I saw that 'All Files'...and thought it was restricting me from selecting .XML -- thanks for the Windows lesson, Corey!   ;)

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 05:48:07 PM »
I know I'm reopening something that's been inactive for some time, but I got to reading this one, and it got me thinking...

Automatic Prizes

Now I haven't looked into the automatic prizes file yet, but if I put in my formula, would I be able to use it and replace the 'points for playing' box? Below is my formula...

Code: [Select]
if(n < 20, switch(r,1,28,2,25,3,22,4,20,5,18,6,16,7,14,8,12,9,9,10,6), if(n < 30, switch(r,1,32,2,29,3,26,4,23,5,20,6,18,7,16,8,14,9,12,10,9), if(n < 40, switch(r,1,36,2,33,3,30,4,27,5,24,6,21,7,18,8,16,9,14,10,12), switch(r,1,41,2,37,3,34,4,30,5,27,6,24,7,21,8,18,9,16,10,14))))
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!