Author Topic: 3.4 beta 1  (Read 49973 times)

T-Bone

• View Profile
Re: 3.4 beta 1
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 03:58:02 AM »
Laptop uses second display, desktop does not. I do all my setup on desktop and use GoodSync to send to laptop.
If it ain't naked, deep-fried or poker-related, I ain't interested!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 11:11:05 AM »
It certainly could be a bug.  I just enabled the preference "Use 24-hour clock" and switched back to the Players tab, and the Buy-in times all changed to 24-hour display.  Where are you seeing that it stays on 12-hour am/pm setting?

Hi Corey!

I have a clock with the current time on the tournament screen. That clock does not switch to 24-hour style.

Ah, that explains it.  The <currentTime> layout token doesn't follow the preference.  Instead it is configured directly to use 12-hour or 24-hour format:

<currentTime format="24-hour">

I guess in hindsight it would have been better to have it use the preference unless the format attribute is specified.

Ok, I understand.
But how do you explain that it was not so in V3.3?
I've just updated to V3.4.b1, not changed anything in my layout.
You must have changed something?   :)

Yes, apparently I did.  Fortunately it looks like it is only in <currentTime>, as other places, such as <startTime>, <nextBreakAt>, and <endTime> are unaffected.

Good news is you can workaround it by using the format="24-hour" attribute for now.  I'll fix it for the next beta.  Thanks for catching it!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 11:12:17 AM »
Well, aren't you just the clever one? That seems to have resolved the problem.

Glad to hear it worked.  Makes me a little nervous, though, because I don't know why it opened off-screen.  This is important in this release because I changed the way dialogs are created and opened.  They now initially are opened off-screen, sized appropriately, then moved on-screen.  This should not be a problem, as moving and placement of dialogs has never been an issue, but you never know what's going to pop up when you get your software onto other people's PCs.

Same thing when I loaded on my laptop. Hiring a neighborhood kid to help me hold down all those keys once again resolved the issue.   ;)

LOL.  Yeah, it's a handful, but it's intentionally a key combination you would never want to configure [on the Hotkeys tab] for any actions you want to use during the tournament.

Any chance either of you were previously using the TD with a second display?  I hope the Settings window opened offscreen because it was configured to open on the second display [which isn't currently connected] and not for some other reason.
This same thing happened on both my desktop and laptop.  The laptop typically has an external monitor attached (when we have a game) but the desktop does not (it is used to tweak the layouts and as a backup only).  The key combo worked, but on first startup, the menus were all hidden (off screen).  Just another example, for your information.

Thanks for the information.  Is it safe to assume that, after getting the Settings window back onto the main display, this hasn't happened again?

T-Bone

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 12:22:19 PM »
All good here so far!
If it ain't naked, deep-fried or poker-related, I ain't interested!

efdenny

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 11:46:15 PM »
I just ran into an issue... at 1280x720 resolution, settings window font size anything larger than "Extra Large" (2x, 3x, ...) makes bust out & New Player screens too large for the screen, and can't resize/move to be readable.  May be others, but those are the ones I encountered.  Set font size to Extra Large, and everything is readable.  Make sense?

efdenny

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 02:25:44 AM »
Backup & Restore: Did a backup on one system using the beta, tried to restore on another (VM) using the beta, received this error: 

<more log available if needed>
inflating: prefs.sav               

There was an error restoring the archive.

efdenny

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 11:36:06 AM »
Backup & Restore: Did a backup on one system using the beta, tried to restore on another (VM) using the beta, received this error: 

As an extra bit of information, it took a LOT (3x) longer to perform the backup than ever before.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 10:54:19 PM »
All good here so far!

Thanks for the positive endorsement!  :)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 11:09:19 PM »
I just ran into an issue... at 1280x720 resolution, settings window font size anything larger than "Extra Large" (2x, 3x, ...) makes bust out & New Player screens too large for the screen, and can't resize/move to be readable.  May be others, but those are the ones I encountered.  Set font size to Extra Large, and everything is readable.  Make sense?

Makes perfect sense.  The TD has previously always been tailored for 1024x768.  It was without a doubt time to break out of that restriction.  Long overdue, in fact.  The application has been retooled for a more relative sizing.  Dialogs and windows are still sized mostly by their "default" font size, and they are sized relative to the font size preference.  Those sizings don't really take into account the physical screen size.  So, if a dialog is usually 600 pixels high, and the font size is adjusted to the "Extra Large" size making the same dialog 900 pixels high, it doesn't matter that the screen height is 720 pixels.  The application simply doesn't take that into consideration... although maybe it should.  As it stands today (as of the beta version), the answer to this issue is to lower the font size, thus reducing the dialog dimensions.

To address the conditions you specifically referenced, a 1280x720 resolution would not, I would think, warrant a 2x or larger font size.  To be perfectly honest, this feature was mostly a response to much higher screen resolutions (think "retina" resolutions, like 3820x2160).  Or even those not quite so dense.  With 1024x768, an 8 point font is not so bad.  But at 2560x1600 it's difficult to even read.  Increasing the default Window font size lead to other issues.  But hopefully with this version, you can increase the Windows font size, or you can increase the font size within the TD application, with no adverse effects either way.

So I guess the appropriate response is, if it doesn't fit, try another size.  If there are other issue(s) with that, please let me know.

And by the way, thanks for the feedback.  This is one of the biggest features of this version.  I am really interested in how this feature is received.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2015, 11:11:17 PM »

I don't think anything was changed about the backup/restore feature.  I'm interested to see what's in the backup.  Send it to me if you can: support@thetournamentdirector.net

Doctor_XXX

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 12:21:27 AM »
Thanks for the information.  Is it safe to assume that, after getting the Settings window back onto the main display, this hasn't happened again?

Correct.  The off-screen menu "issue" only happened on the first run.  Once it was forced back on to the main screen, subsequent runs have been fine.

Still might be an "issue" for everyone on their first run???

efdenny

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 12:24:12 AM »

So I guess the appropriate response is, if it doesn't fit, try another size.  If there are other issue(s) with that, please let me know.

Fair enough!  I had the resolution set to 720p in order to make the settings window (displayed on a TV) more readable from 10 feet away... didn't occur to me to change the layout & resolution back to 1080p before increasing the font size.  (duh)  Thanks Corey, and I really do like the new window font size settings...

efdenny

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 12:26:28 AM »

I don't think anything was changed about the backup/restore feature.  I'm interested to see what's in the backup.  Send it to me if you can: support@thetournamentdirector.net

Will do... Uploading to box.com since it's 245 MB, and will send the link to you when complete.  In the meantime, I'll try another backup, and see if that one restores or not.

efdenny

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 12:15:53 PM »

Will do... Uploading to box.com since it's 245 MB, and will send the link to you when complete.  In the meantime, I'll try another backup, and see if that one restores or not.

Link sent.

efdenny

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 01:17:18 PM »

Made a new backup, and it restored correctly.  Must've been just some weirdness on the previous backup.  I backup to a NAS, so it could've been a network hiccup.  Anyway, glad it was a false alarm!