Author Topic: dr neau formula and add ons  (Read 1083 times)

rug07

• View Profile
dr neau formula and add ons
« on: February 22, 2021, 04:54:41 PM »
I use Dr Neaus  formula for my league,  I do not want players to lose points  when they have an "addon"
At the moment an"addon" will be part of a players "total cost"  What can I add to the equation to stop players
losing points  when they have an "addon"   Thanks

shushs

• View Profile
Re: dr neau formula and add ons
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 06:46:46 AM »
I don't have the math to help you, but I have a couple of questions about how you run this tournament, if you don't mind.

Is the add on required or optional?
Is the add on buy in price significant in relationship to the original buy in? (e.g. $100 buy in, $10 add on vs. $100 buy in $50 add on)
Is the number of chips added significant in relationship to the original number of chips? (I have played tournaments where you got 5000 chips originally and 25000 for the add on. The host said they do that 'because the blinds are higher when the add on is allowed').

I run a rebuy + bounty tournament normally. I did try an add-on once, and some of my players complained, loudly, so I went to the current method. I'm interested in  your responses because it may impact future tournaments I will run.

** Opinion Follows **
If it is optional, then IMHO, the persons adding on are gaining an advantage. Yes, they are paying for that advantage, but they are now increasing the number of chips they have over those that chose not to add on.
I can totally understand that someone that is running well may have amassed a great percentage of the chips, and adding on is -ev for them. But, at the same time, the person that is adding on is extending their stay in the hopes that the cards turn and begin to favor them. So, my question is this... is it fair to penalize the players that are not adding on? My opinion is that is there should be an adjustment to a point schedule if a player adds on. It does not need to be drastic, but it should be reflected in the points. This is based on the players adding on gaining an advantage. The more hands you see, the more chances you have...

If it is required, and all players still in the tournament must add on, then I don't think you'd need to adjust anything because in this scenario, all players are paying the same, and getting the same number of chips.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 09:31:35 PM »
Can you post the formula you're using?  I know the Dr Neau formula is well known enough to google it, but people use variants of it.

rug07

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 08:55:34 AM »
its ok i changed  "total cost" to "total rebuys"  which worked

thanks