Main > Help Me

my load button stopped working

<< < (2/22) > >>

Corey Cooper:
Is there any chance you (anyone being affected by this) have additional Internet Explorer add-ons installed?  Since IE10 has been pushed to a lot of people by now, and this is still affecting only a few people, maybe the common factor is some third-party add-on that is installed?

Scotty K:
Sorry I haven't been able to follow up on this for you, as I've been quite busy these past few days.

--- Quote from: Scotty K on April 13, 2013, 05:04:18 PM ---...or find any of my templates, plus my receipt count went back to 1.

--- End quote ---

I didn't mean to imply that TD made any of these changes; I do indeed understand that it will not do that.  Plus I was able to find all of my saves and template files when I went outside of the program.  The problem was occurring when I tried to access those files from inside the program.  Nevertheless, it did indeed happen, but I did make something of a discovery today.

I was trying to recreate the conditions by which all of this started to happen, and in so doing I recalled trying to load up a previous tournament by loading it up directly from my saves file; that is, instead of launching the program and then loading, I would click the saved file and then the program would launch.  What I discovered is that when this method was used, apparently these saves files were associated with version 2.6.b5, which of course is no longer valid.  When this failed to launch, I then went back to launching TD 3.1.1 from my desktop shortcut, and apparently this was where the preferences file was altered, or more likely, was now going to a default preference file?  Naturally, this now had all of my settings reset, and my receipt counter was now showing 1 again.  So at least now I know that I have to reassociate my saved tournament files to TD 3.1.1

Is this making any sense at all?

I think I'm going to try to reload IE10 again and see what happens when I have the time, as I still have to see if my receipts will render correctly.

Corey Cooper:

--- Quote ---I didn't mean to imply that TD made any of these changes; I do indeed understand that it will not do that.  Plus I was able to find all of my saves and template files when I went outside of the program.  The problem was occurring when I tried to access those files from inside the program.  Nevertheless, it did indeed happen, but I did make something of a discovery today.
--- End quote ---

No worries.  I just wanted to be sure you understood the software wouldn't delete things out from under you.  And I also wanted anyone else who might be reading the thread to understand that, too.

--- Quote ---I was trying to recreate the conditions by which all of this started to happen, and in so doing I recalled trying to load up a previous tournament by loading it up directly from my saves file; that is, instead of launching the program and then loading, I would click the saved file and then the program would launch.  What I discovered is that when this method was used, apparently these saves files were associated with version 2.6.b5, which of course is no longer valid.  When this failed to launch, I then went back to launching TD 3.1.1 from my desktop shortcut, and apparently this was where the preferences file was altered, or more likely, was now going to a default preference file?  Naturally, this now had all of my settings reset, and my receipt counter was now showing 1 again.  So at least now I know that I have to reassociate my saved tournament files to TD 3.1.1

Is this making any sense at all?
--- End quote ---

Complete sense.  When 2.6.b5 loaded, it probably did not understand the preferences file (some new type of object was added in 3.0 or 3.1 or 3.1.1) and therefore reverted back to a default version of the preferences.  In other words, it reset all of your preferences.  I just wish there was a way for you to get your preferences file back.  It should rename the current preferences file (the one it can't understand) before creating a new preferences file.  That way it isn't lost.  I'm going to add that to the to-do list.  Of course that wouldn't help this situation since we can't go back and add this to previous versions, but might save some headaches going forward.

And I wonder why Windows still had .tdt files associated with version 2.6.b5.  The install of 3.1.1 (and/or 3.0 and/or 3.1) should have updated that association.  I'll have to look into that.

Corey Cooper:
For anyone experiencing this issue and willing to help out a little:

* Click the following link and save the file to your Desktop, or some other place you can find it: http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/support/getRegIEPlugins.wsf.  You'll probably get a warning, but you'll have to trust me that the script is safe.  :)
* Double-click the downloaded file to run it.  The script will simply extract a few keys from your Windows registry that are directly associated with IE plug-ins, toolbars, and extensions.  And nothing else.
* After running, Notepad should automatically open, showing the extracted information.
* In Notepad, right-click and select Select All then right-click and select Copy.
* Send an email to support@thetournamentdirector.net and paste the copied information into the email (right-click and select Paste).
And thank you.

* Edit: You'll likely get a bunch of permission request dialogs saying "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer" with "Program name: Registry Editor".  Say "yes" to each one.  It won't change anything, it's just running "regedit" to dump registry information.  I tested this script on a PC with UAC disabled, so I didn't get any of these dialogs and thus I forgot to mention them.

Scotty K:

--- Quote from: Corey Cooper on April 16, 2013, 06:18:09 PM ---I just wish there was a way for you to get your preferences file back.
--- End quote ---

No worries here, as I still have a copy of an older preferences file from prior to 3.1.  I just copied and pasted and viola, all is well.

--- Quote from: Corey Cooper on April 16, 2013, 06:18:09 PM ---And I wonder why Windows still had .tdt files associated with version 2.6.b5.  The install of 3.1.1 (and/or 3.0 and/or 3.1) should have updated that association.  I'll have to look into that.

--- End quote ---

I think I might have an answer for this; it might be something that I did myself.

Within the last couple of weeks, a friend of mine ran his own tournament.  As the tournament progressed, I couldn't help but question the effectiveness of his blinds schedule; at some points it just didn't make sense to me.  I asked him to send me a copy of his tournament file so that I could take a look at it and perhaps make some suggestions on how to improve it.  What I forgot about was that he was running an earlier version of TD (2.6), so when I opened the file directly (outside of TD, of course!), this file had an association to 2.6.  Is it possible that perhaps then all of my tournament files now would have their associations reverted back to 2.6?

--- Quote from: Corey Cooper on April 16, 2013, 06:34:26 PM ---For anyone experiencing this issue and willing to help out a little:
--- End quote ---

Consider it done.  You should have my email by now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version