Author Topic: Idea, regarding player positions  (Read 1008 times)

Mazion

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Idea, regarding player positions
« on: January 06, 2011, 06:47:22 AM »
Hy to all,

first of all a special thank to Corey, your software is really great, I'm using it about two years and all the possibillities and stats rock!

I have two ideas, which propably would help others, too.

First it would be great, if it would possible to "regulate" the randomized seating. The point is, we are playing in two different rooms (smokers room, non-smokers room). As nearly all of us are smokers, everyone wants to seat in the smokers room (Even the better table,...). So is it possible to use a bonus system for players who sat in non-smokers room for several times? for example, every time, a player will be in non-smokers room his chance to get to smokers room will increase by 25%. And after sitting in smokers room reset to 0% increasement? Last year some players allways sat in smokers room, others in non-smokers room. It would just great, if software could handle this automatically, of cours I'm aware of seating players manual.

Second thing is, that I can handle up to 11 players per table. So if there are only 11 players, we just use one table (smokers-room :)). But if we are 12 players, we use 2 tables AND the final table decreases to 8 players. Can I automatically let the software manage seats by players? It would be a "nice-to-have", but of course, I can change seats of tables every tournament, we are less than 11 players.

At least, sorry for my bad english, I hope I could make myself understandable :)

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Markus

P.S.: Like the features in 2.6 beta 4, just started to test it.

Corey Cooper

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5402
    • View Profile
Re: Idea, regarding player positions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 10:47:01 AM »
First it would be great, if it would possible to "regulate" the randomized seating. The point is, we are playing in two different rooms (smokers room, non-smokers room). As nearly all of us are smokers, everyone wants to seat in the smokers room (Even the better table,...). So is it possible to use a bonus system for players who sat in non-smokers room for several times? for example, every time, a player will be in non-smokers room his chance to get to smokers room will increase by 25%. And after sitting in smokers room reset to 0% increasement? Last year some players allways sat in smokers room, others in non-smokers room. It would just great, if software could handle this automatically, of cours I'm aware of seating players manual.

This would entail adding "bias" to the seating algorithm.  The seating algorithm already utilizes a few biases - the most basic examples are that, when balancing tables, it tends to move players towards the largest tables, and slightly less aggressively towards lower numbered tables (or the first tables listed on the Tables tab).  The most aggressive bias that you can adjust is by using the "Collapse Order" function.

The difficulty here is that the bias would be on a per-player basis, and would have to be more generic (smoking vs non-smoking works for you, but someone else might want to do it another way), and the bias would have to be much more adjustable than can be set on the Collapse Order dialog.  You mentioned, for example, "for example, every time, a player will be in non-smokers room his chance to get to smokers room will increase by 25%".  What does this mean exactly?  Is it a length of time?  Or just a movement?  For example, 2 players could be on the non-smoking tables.  One could be moved 3 times in 15 minutes, giving him a 75% chance he will get moved next to the smoking tables, while the other guy could sit in the same place for 2 hours, remaining at only a 25% chance of getting moved to the smoking tables.  How many sets of tables are there?  You have smoking versus non-smoking, but someone else might want to divide the tables into 3 groups, or 4, or 10.  This gets complicated pretty quickly.

Second thing is, that I can handle up to 11 players per table. So if there are only 11 players, we just use one table (smokers-room :)). But if we are 12 players, we use 2 tables AND the final table decreases to 8 players. Can I automatically let the software manage seats by players? It would be a "nice-to-have", but of course, I can change seats of tables every tournament, we are less than 11 players.

The software won't change your tables for you automatically.  The easiest thing to do is probably create 11-player tables and mark a seat or 2 as "Unavailable" (right-click on a seat on the Tables tab and select "Make seat unavailable").

Magic_fubu

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1035
    • View Profile
Re: Idea, regarding player positions
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »


Second thing is, that I can handle up to 11 players per table. So if there are only 11 players, we just use one table (smokers-room :)). But if we are 12 players, we use 2 tables AND the final table decreases to 8 players. Can I automatically let the software manage seats by players? It would be a "nice-to-have", but of course, I can change seats of tables every tournament, we are less than 11 players.

One thing that I did at a secondary location, (which I ran similar to what you're looking to do) was to set up a few 8-player tables, but if there's no more than 11 players, I would then erase all the tables prior to the start of the tournament, and replace it with an 11 seat table. Worked fine for me, so I would think it should for you too. I'm not too sure if it would work if you're tracking "final table" stats, since at the time I was in charge of that location, The final table attribute wasn't working properly.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Mazion

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Idea, regarding player positions
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »
First of all, thanks to your answers.

@ Magic_fubu, thanks for the idea, it is, how I do it right now :)

The difficulty here is that the bias would be on a per-player basis, and would have to be more generic (smoking vs non-smoking works for you, but someone else might want to do it another way), and the bias would have to be much more adjustable than can be set on the Collapse Order dialog.  You mentioned, for example, "for example, every time, a player will be in non-smokers room his chance to get to smokers room will increase by 25%".  What does this mean exactly?  Is it a length of time?  Or just a movement?  For example, 2 players could be on the non-smoking tables.  One could be moved 3 times in 15 minutes, giving him a 75% chance he will get moved next to the smoking tables, while the other guy could sit in the same place for 2 hours, remaining at only a 25% chance of getting moved to the smoking tables.  How many sets of tables are there?  You have smoking versus non-smoking, but someone else might want to divide the tables into 3 groups, or 4, or 10.  This gets complicated pretty quickly.

I understand, that this might be much work to do the bias on a per player basis which might be really complicated. What I found from your reply, is that I did not explain the idea exactly :) Just to clarify what I meant: On the start of the tournament every player gets his seat by randomized seating. So for example player 1-7 sit in the smokers room, players 8-14 in the non-smokers room. Of course it will happen, that tables will be unbalanced and we have to switch players from one room into the other. Your software is doing this for us (randomized without position/relation to BigBlind). This is a great feature, and I don't want to get this changed anyway. My idea was, if a player starts in room A in week 1 he should get a 25% better chance to play in room B in week 2. If he will be again in room A, than in week 3 his chance to get in room B will be increased by 50%, and so on. So he will be in the other room at least every 4th or 5th week.
Within a single tournament I don't care, if he switches from one room to the other. Hopefully I could clarify, what I meant right now :).

Cheers Mazion

Corey Cooper

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5402
    • View Profile
Re: Idea, regarding player positions
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 10:59:53 AM »
Well, that does make a big difference ... at least in how I understood it.  The biggest issue would be that the software doesn't relate information from one tournament to another, except when computing statistics.  So there's no way to say "this guy was seating here last tournament, let's give him a bias towards seating there this tournament".

Mazion

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Idea, regarding player positions
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 05:17:40 AM »
All right,

not really a big issue, just a nice to have :) Thanks for thinking about it :)

Love your software anyway.

Cheers,

Markus