Main > General Discussion

Minumum Raise in No Limit Texas Hold'em

(1/3) > >>

rbauman:
Can anybody tell me where it is written that pre flop, the minimum raise or bet, in No limit Texas Hold'em Tournaments has to be equivalent to double the big blind. I've searched the internet, I can find alot of info on raises once a bet has been made but can't find it written in regards to pre flop raises. I need it to be some sort of official site such as WSOP, Tournament Directors of America, World Poker Tour or at least something resembling something official.

Johno:
I took this from the TDA rules and use it for our rule book in my league.

No short bets - To raise you must state “RAISE”. Your RAISE must be at least equal to the previous RAISE.
The first raise (pre-flop) must be double the big blind. All raises after must be at least equal to the
previous raise. On all betting rounds, first to bet must bet equal to or greater than the big blind,
first raise must be double or greater than the first bet, unless player is all in.

Will try and fine reference.

Johno:
Roberts Rules: http://www.homepokertourney.com/roberts-rules-of-poker.htm

--- Quote ---Betting and Raising.

6. Any wager not all-in must be at least the size of the previous bet or raise in that round
--- End quote ---

Considering the Big Blind is a forced bet by 2 left of the dealer, the minimum raise, if you are 1st to raise is the size of the Big Blind. From that point on, the minimum raise is the size of the previous raise.

So for example...

Player A - BB  1000

Player B - Raises to 2000

Player C - Can raise to 3000 as his raise is still at least the size of the previous "raise".

Ohh I love poker rules. :)

Stuart Murray:
Rule 31 of the Poker TDA rule set: http://appservicesonline.com/PokerTDABlog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Poker_TDARules_2009-Version2_Final_Handout_pdf.pdf

31. Raises
A raise must be at least the size of the largest previous bet or raise of the current betting round. If a player puts in a raise of 50% or more of the previous bet but less than the minimum raise, he or she must make a full raise. The raise will be exactly the minimum raise allowed (see exception for multiple same-denomination chips Rule 33). In no-limit and pot limit, an all-in wager of less than a full raise does not reopen the betting to a player who has already acted.

Robert's Rules of poker v11 http://www.homepokertourney.com/roberts-rules-of-poker.htm

6. Any wager not all-in must be at least the size of the previous bet or raise in that round.

for example:

BB 200
open raise to 600 total (a raise of 400)
the minimum raise in this instance would have to be 400 more (1000 Tota 200+400+400)

There is nothing specific to pre-flop first raise however, players who wish to raise are already facing a FORCED BET (the Big Blind) and hence first raise pre-flop is covered by this wording.

Regards
Stuart

jodybingo:
The big blind is the minimum bet and the small blind is half the minimum bet. The big blind is not a raise and therefore, pre-flop, the minimum raise is double the bet of the big blind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version