Author Topic: does anyone have a solution or tips?  (Read 1329 times)

blight

• View Profile
does anyone have a solution or tips?
« on: April 19, 2008, 08:16:30 AM »
hello,

i've been using TD for our league for quite a while now and I must say it's fantastic !
The only problem I still have is how to setup a balanced structure for the points distribution.

setup of our season:
  • we play 99 (freeze out) sng's (max. 8 players, first 2 places paid 60%-40%)) in which players can collect points for the overall scoring.
  • after the 99 sng's we play an MTT with all the players that played during the season
  • the "overall scoring" is converted into extra chips for the main event
  • basic chip stack for the main event = 5.000 + extra chips (based on season scoring)

scoring details:
  • tournament scoring: sqrt(prizepool / n) * (n / r + 1)+(numberofhits*2)
  • overall scoring: 1 / sqrt(count(scores)) * sum(scores)
  • Each point in the overaal scoring amounts to 100 extra chips for the main event

my issues are the following:
  • we have over 40 active players. Some of them play only 10 sng's, others play 85 sng's. Using the overall scoring formula from above, this implies that people who play more, have a lot more points than those that only play once a month. Which also creates massive starting stack differences for the main event
  • if I change this formula to a "best of 15" ( sqrt(sum(top(15, scores))) ), the differences vary too little in order to reward the leaderboard topscorers in a decent way.

Therefore, I would like to change the "points for playing" to enlarge the point-differences per tournament. I would keep the "overall scoring" (sqrt(sum(top(15, scores)))) since this allows us to even out the big differences between players who play 85 times and those that only play 15 times...

On the other hand: it is difficult to score big on a regular basis, so players who play +70 events, but who constantly end up in the top 3 should be rewarded accordingly. As stated, this should reflected in the tournament scoring.

Does anyone have (tips on) a tournament scoring formula, that takes following things into consideration:
  • basic points allocation based upon ranking, number of players and number of hits (hit = 2 extra points) and if possible the cashout
  • bonus reward for making the top 3, where first place gets a larger bonus than second place, and second place a larger bonus than third place (since the first two places are paid, the difference can be made here

Hope this isn't too much info, but I want you to have enough elements to build up the formula.

Thanks in advance!
Tom

blight

• View Profile
Re: does anyone have a solution or tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 04:56:02 AM »
i found a useful score while browsing the forum: buyinCost + totalWinnings + numberOfHits * 2

the only thing left is something to reward the 3rd ranked player... any ideas?

Greetz,
Tom

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 01:26:58 PM »
bc + tw + (nh * 2) + switch(r, 1, points for first go here, 2, points for second go here, 3, points for third goes here)

hope that helps

blight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 08:52:24 AM »
that helped quite a lot !

thanks!

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 11:38:54 AM »
no problemo water brother

blight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:36:26 PM »
say phaze,

since I noticed you are well documented when it comes to poker leagues and scoring structures, I would like to ask you something else:

what do you think is a fair scoring system? Both for the tournament score, as for the overall score... We always play 8-handed sng's (freezeout) and I want to award the 3 first places extra. Additionally, I would like to award (a) bonus point(s) for a hit.

The overall score is used as basis for the chipstacks for our main event, so I need to make sure the difference between the initial big stack and short stack remains within proportion.

As you know, the players' presence differs a lot (sometimes up to a 70 sng difference), so we need a way to even this out. Average scores (sum scores/played events) certainly gives a disadvantage to those who play a lot (also someone who has scored well in the first events, might stop playing). A cumulative score on the other hand diminishes the chances of those that only play once a month..

Do you have any ideas how I should setup my points / overall score structure? Well balanced, meaning: top players get nice rewards, while the weaker players remain in striking distance and stay motivated to continue playing (although there's no real lack in motivation  :D )

but I guess you catch my drift

Thanks in advance,
Tom