The Tournament Director Forums

Main => Beta Testing => Topic started by: IBuyCars on March 05, 2013, 11:08:41 AM

Title: Lock Up
Post by: IBuyCars on March 05, 2013, 11:08:41 AM
I never turn the computer at the club off hence the TD software is always running, since installing the Beta version the TD software has locked up, and I have to open the task manager to end the program.

When reloaded it works fine.

I never had this problem before the Beta

Title: Re: Lock Up
Post by: IBuyCars on March 07, 2013, 09:16:00 AM
I'm using Microsoft Vista Home Basic SP2

i got an error message

Out of Memory at Line 3276

I clicked the red cross on the main screen and the info box poped up (Image below)
Title: Re: Lock Up
Post by: Corey Cooper on March 07, 2013, 11:19:19 AM
I can't think of anything that has changed in version 3.2 that would cause a lock-up.  Actually, because the TD runs inside of IE, it shouldn't be able to cause a lock-up no matter what it does.

But that, with an out of memory error, and a strange permission denied error, tends to make me think there might be an "environment" issue.  Could be something's hosed up on the PC.  The only real suggestion I can think of is to update or re-install IE.  What version of IE are you using?

As an aside, the only legitimate "out of memory" error I've ever seen related to the TD (and I use the word "legitimate" very loosely, because it still should not have caused this type of error) was when someone was using the software in an unexpected way.  They had a database of thousands of players - I want to say 6 to 10 thousand, but I honestly can't remember.  Each tournament they ran had 10 to 30 players.  But instead of simply adding the 10 to 30 players to the tournament, they added the entire database of players to the tournament and only bought-in 10 to 30 players.  Everything still worked, but the memory footprint of each tournament was very big - enormously bigger than necessary.  With dozens of these tournaments saved, when Statistics were run the TD's memory size bloated to huge proportions and an "out of memory" would be hit.  The solution was, of course, very simple: stop adding the entire database of players to each tournament.  I loaded every saved tournament, removed all players who had not bought in, and re-saved the tournaments and of course the problem went away.

I'm relating this to see if any alarm bells go off for you.  Not that you're doing this, exactly, but maybe something else.  I never dreamed anyone would use the software in this way, but of course that's the way it is with software development.  We intend for the software to be used in a certain way and those who use the software always find other ways to do things.
Title: Re: Lock Up
Post by: IBuyCars on March 07, 2013, 02:59:45 PM
IE Version: 9.0.8112.16421

I think that my computer done an automatic update since installing the TD Beta

Its just never happend before I installed the Beta, I just thought that I would let you know

Title: Re: Lock Up
Post by: Corey Cooper on March 08, 2013, 10:05:33 AM
Honestly I think it's a coincidence, but that doesn't mean there isn't something wrong in your IE environment.  You might consider re-installing IE.  Or downgrading to IE 8 and the upgrading back to IE 9.  Kinda forcing a "repair" on IE - maybe re-installing any file(s) that have been corrupted or re-writing registry keys that might have changed, for whatever reason.
Title: Re: Lock Up
Post by: IBuyCars on March 08, 2013, 10:19:39 AM
Will do