Author Topic: Formula Noob question  (Read 2661 times)

drbald1

• View Profile
Formula Noob question
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:30:21 PM »
Ok, I searched a bit and didn't find what I was looking for, so I thought I'd ask.  I'm a complete noob to anything more than the most basic Excel formulas, so go easy.   ::)

I'm basing this on the standard points-per-rank formula n - r + 1.  What I'd like to do is penalize players via points for rebuys, but on a scale.  -0 for first round rebuys, -1 for 2nd round, etc.

So....what would that look like?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Formula Noob question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:47:21 PM »
the "na" variable is for number of add ons, and the "nr" is for number of rebuys. If you look to penalize one point for either, it's as simple as adding this to your formula: "- na". If, for example, you want to penalize 3 points, it would be this: "- 3 * na"

However, to my knowledge, the program cannot directly correlate round of rebuy into the formula; however, in the game notes, you can see when the people rebought or added on, and adjust the points manually that way. My suggestion for doing what you suggest is this: Make your formula be n - r + 1 - nr. Track on paper or excel who rebuys and what round, etc., and adjust the points as you are able to. You are able to adjust during the game. By this method, only the 2nd level would not require any adjustments.

That's the best way that I'm personally aware of, but perhaps someone else may have a different/better way to do this...
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »
When you bustout a player, you have a option when rebuying back in to set the points then. so anytime they rebuy just look at what round your at and set it,  like  round 1 with -o  or   3rd round, -3   or   5th round -5   

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:07:02 AM »
Thanks, Timmer - I didn't know that... But such is the life of a freezeout host.... lol
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

drbald1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 07:25:55 AM »
We've been keeping track manually, and I was kind of hoping to automate it all.  Sounds like I can get pretty close, especially doing points manually as they rebuy.

Thanks folks!

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
We did something like this in our Race To A Hundred, Are rebuys ended at the end of the 5th round, But it went rebuy in the 5th round points 0,  4th round -1,  3rd round -2,  2nd round -3,  1st round -4,   they didnt like the idea of getting punished for a higher rebuy round

drbald1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 08:22:12 PM »
So how hard is this, then:

Points per rank (1 for 10th place up to 10 for 1st)
Point for making the final table (top 6 players)
-1 point per rebuy (this is easy)

And then using league stats to track it all? 

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 09:23:26 PM »
Points per rank as described: n-r+1
point for making final table: if(r =<6, 1)    *note: might need to be <= instead of =<
-1 for rebuy: -nr

Combined: n - r + 1 + if(r=<6, 1) - nr

How I handle league stats: Create the league with the name, and name a season. Each tournament should have the league name and the season setting for which it should be applied to. League scoring should be sum(points), where each tournament would have the point formula above.
---

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 11:25:17 AM »
point for making final table: if(r =<6, 1)    *note: might need to be <= instead of =<

Even easier, just use finalTable, which will be "1" if the player made the final table or "0" if they did not (determined by the largest table on the Tables tab).

Combined: n - r + 1 + finalTable - nr

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 02:31:40 PM »

Even easier, just use finalTable, which will be "1" if the player made the final table or "0" if they did not (determined by the largest table on the Tables tab).

Combined: n - r + 1 + finalTable - nr

didn't even realize there was a finalTable token... Sweet... would that work for an "if" statement?  if(finalTable=1,13), for example?
---

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:56:17 AM »
Of course!  :)

drbald1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
Holy shniekies, it worked!  Thanks!