Author Topic: display name of "random player"  (Read 4005 times)

johnhend

• View Profile
display name of "random player"
« on: June 16, 2007, 02:45:35 PM »
I really like the new "random player" feature, and I think it's great that you incorporated that into the bounty feature.  Is it possible to have the name/handle of the person on the tournament page who IS the bounty?

What I've been doing in the past is seating randomly, then just making player 1 at table 1 the bounty.  I type that person's name into the "display on page," such as "display on XXXX".  Is there a way to have this display automatically, once the random player is determined?

I like to have all the prizes displayed on the tournament page, including who the bounty is.  It's a minor suggestion, as the manual input isn't that much trouble, but something that I think would be cool.

Thanks - and tonight's the first night with the new version... I'm looking forward to doing something a little different!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: display name of "random player"
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 04:55:50 PM »
The "random player", in both the "random player" prize and the "bounty on random player" prize, isn't revealed until that player busts out.  Actually, every time someone busts out the software then and there decides if this will be (one of) the "random player(s)?".  So it actually doesn't know until such time as the prize is won.

If what you are wanting is a bounty on a random player, but want the random player chosen up front (before the tournament starts), use the "Random Player" dialog on the Players tab to choose a random player, then create a bounty prize on that player.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:13:42 PM by Corey Cooper »

cousguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 02:55:01 PM »
Corey

Can you explain the algorithm you used to determine the random bounty players.  Does the software re-evaluate each time a player busts out resulting in increasing the odds the deeper you are in a tournament.  Or is the player determined from the start of the game.

For example in a 26 player tournament, the first one out has a 1 in 26 chance, the 2nd out has 1 in 25 chance.

This is not a bad thing since it keeps the 'suspense' of the random player later in the tourney and giving better odds to players who finish later in the tourney. 

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 03:20:32 PM »
Sorry about that last post - I think my use of brackets caused that weird strikethrough stuff...

Your second guess is correct.  Because the player list may change at any time during a tournament, choosing the "random player" isn't done until the moment it is necessary.  That being when a player busts out.  That player has a 1 in N chance of being chosen, where N is the number of players still "in" the tournament (including that busting-out player).

I'm not certain of the "odds" part - I was never good at statistics.  I believe it is fair and doesn't give any advantage to players who last longer, but I really can't say for sure...

MattBurlew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 02:14:12 PM »
I think it is actually the case that the player lasting longer has a better chance of being the bounty.

If you allow a dynamic player list, I think it might indeed have to be that way.  Unless you determine the player that is the bounty at the moment of the first bust-out.

cousguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 10:51:51 PM »
I am testing for the first time the random bounty feature.  It looks like there is no interactive way of notifying that the random bounty has been one.  From reading other post, it looks like it can be displayed on the screen with the prizes token, but that takes precious real estate on the screen.

As i suggestion, i'd like to see a new sound event when the prize has been awarded and even a pop up when you bust that player out indicating the random bounty has been one.

In the meantime i'll use as suggested in http://thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=708.0 and use the prizes token.

Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 09:39:48 AM »
Good suggestion - and it goes perfectly with the new events model that will be in 2.4.

cousguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 08:01:27 PM »
One more suggestion regarding the random player.  I take one dollar from each buy-in and rebuy to make the random player pot.  Instead of putting in a fix amount for the random player, i'd like to put in a variable pot depending on the buy ins and rebuys.  Currently, i  need to adjust the pot valuie once my rebuy period is over.

Thanks for considering