Author Topic: Help with points formula  (Read 1663 times)

RaidoR

• View Profile
Help with points formula
« on: February 04, 2013, 08:42:36 AM »
Hi,

I host tournament. Tournament takes place once a month and last 6 months.

I have a point system: 1st place gets 25 points, 2nd 18p, 3rd 15p, 4th 12p, 5th 10p, 6th 8p, 7th 6p and 8th place gets 4 points.

Every other player, who did not managed to get to final table gets 1 point for participating. Also after 4th level every knockout scores 1 point.

At the end of the tourney, 4 best results + knockouts count.

e.g last tourney I finished second and knocked out 2 players I got 20 points. Player who finished 9th got 1 point for one knockout and 1 for participating.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Help with points formula
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:00:13 PM »
Interesting twists.

I have a point system: 1st place gets 25 points, 2nd 18p, 3rd 15p, 4th 12p, 5th 10p, 6th 8p, 7th 6p and 8th place gets 4 points.  Every other player, who did not managed to get to final table gets 1 point for participating.

switch(r, 1, 25, 2, 18, 3, 15, 4, 12, 5, 10, 6, 8, 7, 6, 8, 4, 1)

Also after 4th level every knockout scores 1 point.

Tough to do.  There's no way to tell the software to qualify each hit.  In other words, you can add points for hits, or you can no points for hits.   You can't tell the software to add points for hits ONLY IF the hits take place after round 4.  You'll probably have to add the hits manually by adjusting each player's points (by editing the player on the Players tab).

I'm a little confused by this.  Do you mean, at the end of the season?  As in, after 6 tournaments are played, players are scored by taking the 4 best scores + knockouts?

RaidoR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »
Interesting twists.

I have a point system: 1st place gets 25 points, 2nd 18p, 3rd 15p, 4th 12p, 5th 10p, 6th 8p, 7th 6p and 8th place gets 4 points.  Every other player, who did not managed to get to final table gets 1 point for participating.

switch(r, 1, 25, 2, 18, 3, 15, 4, 12, 5, 10, 6, 8, 7, 6, 8, 4, 1)

Also after 4th level every knockout scores 1 point.

Tough to do.  There's no way to tell the software to qualify each hit.  In other words, you can add points for hits, or you can no points for hits.   You can't tell the software to add points for hits ONLY IF the hits take place after round 4.  You'll probably have to add the hits manually by adjusting each player's points (by editing the player on the Players tab).

I'm a little confused by this.  Do you mean, at the end of the season?  As in, after 6 tournaments are played, players are scored by taking the 4 best scores + knockouts?

Can you offer any more reasonable point system?

Yes

I have one question about making tournament conitnious. I set up a tournament (added players, calculated prizes, tables etc). Let's say next month I want to host another tournament, so that TD3 would continue counting points. Then I should load the tournament that I saved last month, undo buy-in all players and buy-in them again?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:38:39 PM by RaidoR »

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:55:16 PM »
No, what you would want to do, with the stats tab, is to set the date range to include all the tournaments that you want to be in. Alternatively, you can set "seasons" for your league. Each new tournament should get its own file name, but should all have the same season setting. Using the seasons would eliminate the need to remember dates, and would include all of that seasons finished tournaments in with stats.

As far as helping with a more reasonable point structure, I'm not sure how I personally could make suggestions to make it be better.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

RaidoR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 01:43:56 AM »
Okay. So I make one tournament template with a season, that I load every time and then use "save as" function each time to save as new file?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:22:06 PM »
Okay. So I make one tournament template with a season, that I load every time and then use "save as" function each time to save as new file?

Yes.  Make sure you save each tournament as a new file.

As a shortcut, you can also set that saved tournament as the Default tournament.  On the Preferences tab, press the Config Files button.  The first item on the right should be "Default Tournament".  Press the Browse... button and find the saved tournament you use to create each new tournament.  Then press the OK button to save the preferences.

Now, on the Game tab, you can just press the New button any time you want to start a new tournament.  Make sure to select the middle item ("Create a new tournament using the saved tournament "your_saved_tournament_filename.txt" as a template").  This will create a new tournament by loading the saved tournament, resetting the status back to the start of the tournament, undoing any buy-ins (and rebuys or add-ons), and resetting the filename (which forces you to save it as a new file, avoiding accidentally overwriting the saved tournament file from which it was created).