Author Topic: File Location Problems  (Read 1088 times)

candidog

• View Profile
File Location Problems
« on: November 15, 2011, 07:14:12 PM »
I recently upgraded from beta to TD3.

The default locations still point to my beta path.  Since then I uninstalled old versions, clean out registry and did a fresh install yet when I open an existing template or go to save a new template it points to my old one.  See attach file you can see the config file points to TD2 path that doesn't exist.

How do I fix this....

Greg

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: File Location Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:44:33 PM »
The files can be saved in TD2 or TD3 install folder. Unless I'm mistaken, you can make it point to any file in any folder, and the program will open it. TD3 on it's own will not know that you uninstalled previous versions of the software, so you should have to re-point it to where you want it to look.

Are you saying that you did this, and it still is wanting to look at the old locations? If so, that sounds to me to be a bug (but I'm not a programmer, so I can't say). If this is the case, I can say that this happened to me too, albeit I have yet to uninstall TD2 (honestly, I doubt I will even though beta is discontinued).
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: File Location Problems
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:28:48 PM »
The software creates a folder in your "Documents" folder (or "My Documents", for XP users) named "The Tournament Director 2" to store preferences, your default Data Store, and a few other things.  Both version 2 and version 3 use the same folder.  Version 3 doesn't use a folder named "The Tournament Director 3" because even though it might install as a different application, people still want to use the same data when they upgrade, so this folder name was not changed.

Installing or uninstalling the software will not affect this folder.  It is not created or populated at install time.  That happens at run time.  So even if you uninstall the software and then install it again, that folder will remain, and it contains your preferences and your Data Stores configuration.

The way those file paths are stored (on the Config Files dialog) is a bit hard to explain, but essentially they should point to files in your currently selected Data Store.  If you change your Data Store, you should see those file paths change.  You should also be able to press the Reset button next to any path to have the path reset to a path inside of your current Data Store.