Author Topic: Sound Playback Errors  (Read 1835 times)

Slabnose

• View Profile
Sound Playback Errors
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:03:31 PM »
Recently, during tournaments, TD has started playing some sounds twice, around a second or so apart. This can give quite a nice echo effect where a single sound file is in use but sounds awful when two different sound files are played over each other! The sounds concerned are always timing related and this appears to occur randomly (several times I have noted when this has happened and tried to reproduce it later without success!). Has anyone else experienced this or can anyone suggest a possible cause? This is spoiling an otherwise brilliant program!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sound Playback Errors
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 05:49:50 PM »
I have not heard of this happening.

Do you use a customized sound configuration?  If so, email the sounds template file to me.  I don't know how much I can get from it, but at least it's *something* to look at.

DaveBullets

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 05:25:42 PM »
I too have experienced this problem.  The only time this happens for me is when the runner up gets busted up (so when the tournament ends).  Sometimes it plays just 1 sound file, but majority (7/10 times) it plays 2 sound files at once.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 10:09:30 AM »
Slabnose sent me his configuration and I've been running some fairly extensive tests.  This is definitely an issue.  The issue where sounds get played twice was not known - I've identified this and fixed it.  The situation that DaveBullets noted will be fixed in version 2.4 simply by the fact that the sounds/events code is being rewritten entirely.

The issue where a sound sometimes doesn't play was a known issue.  Usually this can be attributed to slower computers, or something else happening at or just before a sound event is supposed to play.  For example, a sound event that should play at 60 seconds left, and the operator busts a player out at 61 seconds left.  Sometimes the processing of the bust-outs and/or the updates to the screen may delay the check for sound events at 60 seconds so that it doesn't happen until 59 seconds (or later), and thus the sound event gets missed.

After doing some research I found out that this was happening a lot more often than I thought, and not just when "something else" happens.  If you don't have a lot of sound events configured, you're unlikely to notice.  Slabnose had a lot configured, so it was occurring with more frequency.

I've made some changes and while I haven't eliminated it (it can't be eliminated entirely), I have dramatically reduced it.  The fix(es) for this will be in version 2.4.