Author Topic: 3.4 beta 2  (Read 24189 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 3.4 beta 2
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2016, 06:35:52 PM »
Sorry to hear it RichieD.  Yes, there is definitely a memory leak, and if you'll dig back through this thread you'll see that I actually identified that it has been there since version 3.1.  At the time it seemed like it should be an easy thing to identify since I was able to pinpoint the version in which it was introduced, but in practice it has been much more difficult.  I am able to say with pretty high confidence that screen transitions are either the source of the leak, or highly exacerbate the problem.  Therefore I suggest that if your layout changes screens often, to change layouts or reduce the frequency of screen changes.  Personally, I wouldn't change screens more than once per minute for an average tournament.  At least until I am able to fix the leak.

I don't think going back to 3.3 will help.  The memory leak could possibly be worse in 3.4.b2, but I don't know.  I haven't done any testing around that specific issue.

RichieD

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »
I don't think going back to 3.3 will help
In the time I've had v3.3 (since release!) it has NEVER crashed or frozen (it's been a bit slow on occasions..).
In the month or so I've used 3.4b2, it has frozen five times  :(
My screen transitions/layout etc haven't changed since v3.3 and screen changes/transitions are approx. 3 minutes apart!
Any chance of including some debugging to the event log to help in finding the miscreant code?!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2016, 05:01:10 PM »
That's a lot different from my testing, but I'm sure it's valid.  I just took another stab at the memory leak issue, assuming it has to do with screen transitions, and by removing part of the transition code, the memory leak was slowed down in a huge way.  It didn't get rid of it entirely, but it looked pretty promising.  I haven't yet had time to investigate further, but if this doesn't allow me to actually fix it, I might be able to add an option to truly disable screen transitions, and tackle it that way, at least for the time being.

FYI, screen changes always occur using screen transitions, even if they are disabled.  Basically, if you disable screen transitions, it's still the same code path, it's just that the transitions are "instant".  That makes the code easier and more consistent.  I might just code in a separate path that doesn't use the transition code.  Anyway, more investigation is needed...

jklaver

• The Tournament Director deserves my respect!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2016, 03:49:59 PM »
Do you have any date for the final version of TTD (4 version) after beta v3.4 beta 2?
John "TrueNorthCanada"

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2016, 04:03:03 PM »
Well RichieD, I will have to thank you.  A few months ago I tried to tackle this memory leak and went down a few rabbit holes before giving up.  Your post convinced me to pause on current work and take another quick look.  This time appears to be a different story.  And I hope I'm not celebrating prematurely.  But a little change to the screen changing code has produced dramatic results.

To give you an example, I have a saved tournament (which is complete) with a layout that changes the screen every 3 seconds.  If I load up that tournament and just let the application do its thing (I don't interact with it), the memory size starts at about 100MB and will get well over 1GB within 5 minutes.  As a control, I repeated this experiment but locked the screen so no screen changes occur.  The memory size started again at 100MB and did not meaningfully change in that same time period.  This tells me the screen changes are a big factor in the memory leak.  Or maybe more accurately that the screen changes are a big memory leak (but there are probably others).

After making my changes, I've now had the application running for nearly 45 minutes, changing screens every 3 seconds, and the memory size is currently at 109MB.  That's an enormous improvement.  Plus, manual screen changes occur noticeably faster and feel a lot more responsive.

This is a limited test, and it didn't include other actions, but it still feels like a pretty big win.  Thanks for your post!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »
Do you have any date for the final version of TTD (4 version) after beta v3.4 beta 2?

"When it's done" unfortunately.  This one has dragged quite a bit but there has been a lot of fundamental change.  The sooner the better, but it's not quite ready yet.

RichieD

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2016, 11:46:42 AM »
This is a limited test, and it didn't include other actions, but it still feels like a pretty big win.  Thanks for your post!
You are very welcome!  :D
Keep up the good work..

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2016, 02:39:23 PM »
So the test has been running now for nearly 24 hours.  Changing screens every 3 seconds.  Memory size is just under 400MB.  So there's still a leak, but comparatively it is pretty small and really unlikely to affect anyone anymore.  Let's hope that was the only big one!

Chowda

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2016, 05:44:16 PM »
Hi Corey... been running Version 2.5.14 for awhile with no issues and then today while getting ready to build a tournament for Friday it seems the load button is not working. I even changed my computer to go back to a recovery point when I knew it was working and still nothing. I see there is this version 3.4 beta 2 that we can load but it seems temporary (30 day trial)? I use my software every 3 weeks and reply on my program, is my Version 2.5.14 obsolete? Do I need to pay for a different version?

Please HELP!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2016, 12:09:34 PM »
Hi Chowda,

Unfortunately there's little I can do about the load/save button issue until I port the software to a new framework.  Version 3.4 beta 2 has a workaround in it, in the form of a file dialog I coded myself.  It's not great, but it does get the job done.

Version 3.0 was released over 5 years ago, and there have been 6 versions released since (with a new version in the works), so in a sense, yes, version 2.5.14 is obsolete.  It is still available for download for those people who still hold a v2 license, because I don't want to force anyone to upgrade.  But there is no work going into version 2 and with ongoing work in with version 3 I can't support version 2 anymore and haven't supported it in years.  Sorry, it's just impossible for me to support both versions.

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2016, 01:48:44 PM »
Hi Corey.
Would it be possible to allow players to Add-On or Rebuy at buy-in (on the same dialog as add players/new players)?
Thanks,
Jody

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2016, 01:47:08 PM »
Sure, anything's possible.  :)

I had a request some time ago for something similar.  I think I referred to it as a buy-in "console".  I still have it in my notes as a "big ticket" item, if I can ever get to it.  Here's the post I found: http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=3316.0

I'd really love to stop having to work on fixes and workarounds to issues outside of the application's control and get back to providing features and needed functionality...

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2016, 04:55:43 PM »
Thanks Corey!
On a side note, it's too bad the TD Forums don't have a like button like Twitter and FB

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2016, 11:17:48 PM »
I agree.  I don't really do FB or Twitter but liking would serve to tally popularity of a feature and also to "follow" it.  Maybe SMF will incorporate that in a future version.

Seitz333

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2016, 10:23:47 AM »
That's a lot different from my testing, but I'm sure it's valid.  I just took another stab at the memory leak issue, assuming it has to do with screen transitions, and by removing part of the transition code, the memory leak was slowed down in a huge way.  It didn't get rid of it entirely, but it looked pretty promising.  I haven't yet had time to investigate further, but if this doesn't allow me to actually fix it, I might be able to add an option to truly disable screen transitions, and tackle it that way, at least for the time being.

FYI, screen changes always occur using screen transitions, even if they are disabled.  Basically, if you disable screen transitions, it's still the same code path, it's just that the transitions are "instant".  That makes the code easier and more consistent.  I might just code in a separate path that doesn't use the transition code.  Anyway, more investigation is needed...

FYI I ran a tourney on Tuesday and disabled screen transitions and still received the black screen and tourney locked up. Had to quit and restart TD.

Chuck