Author Topic: 3.2 beta 1  (Read 6956 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
3.2 beta 1
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
Due to the amount of change in version 3.2, I've decided to release it as a beta version first.  I'm going to try to update the user manual during the beta testing period.

Standard beta testing disclaimer:

This is a BETA release of the software.  Beta means I am not aware of any bugs, but I'd like to get some more testing done before an official release.

If you plan to participate in the beta test, backup your data first.  This can never be stated too often.  The TD can do this for you, just press the "Backup" button on the Database tab and check all options.  You should do this whether you try a beta version or not.

The user manual has still not been fully updated.  Below is the relevant part of the changes.txt file.

Thank you again to everyone who will participate in this test release.  Please post or email any feedback you have.

Edit: 3.2 beta 1 has been superceded by 3.2 beta 2, 3, and 4.  See http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=4330.0

Version 3.2.b1 (beta release 1)
======================================================================
New Features:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Buy-in, Rebuy, and Add-on Profiles added
- Added "Transactions" dialog, listing all tournament transactions (Buy-ins, Rebuys, Add-ons)
- Column sort information for each Settings tab now saved as a preference
- Changed all appropriate path inputs to indicate when paths are not found
- Reworked context menu in Game window to be more consistent across screens and at different times in the tournament
- Transactions now store Receipt number, so receipts can be recreated/reprinted for any transaction
- Added option to Buy-in players on the "New Player" dialog
- Added button to switch to the "Add Players" dialog from the "New Player" dialog
- Added new layout screen type "HTML", which is a free form HTML page with embedded layout tokens
- Added "Built-in" layouts, a dialog making it easy to choose from any of the layouts that come with the TD software
- Added new layouts: Default layout built for 1920x1080 screens, Emily's Delight, and Abstract Layout by Stuart Murray
- Added preference to not stylize the layout preview on the Layout tab
- Added a Filter to the Toolbox on the Layout tab
- All import/export dialogs have been reworked for simplify them and make them more intuitive, including selection of
  the export template directly from the export dialog (instead of changing the template from the Preferences tab)
- Updated tournament export to allow exporting at any time, not just after tournament is complete
- Added Print options on Summary tab and Summary export
- Added option to highlight multiple tables when exporting tables
- Overhauled Extended Display tool (now Display Management)
  - Drag and drop to arrange dual displays
  - Added new options for opening dialogs (on Main display, on Extended display, etc)
  - Added profiles for storing different extended display configurations (good for laptops that get connected to
    different displays)
  - Added hotkeys for moving and sizing Game and Settings windows
- Added Event action "flash" that flashes the screen
- Made columns configurable on Prizes tab
- Added button to check all non-conflicting players on Add All Players to Database dialog
- Save the tournament automatically on exit if auto-save is enabled (previously the software asked upon exit)
- Added "New Season" and "New League" options to League and Season drop downs on Game tab
- Added all player detail columns to Stats tab (First name, Last name, and Nickname were the only columns available in
  previous versions)
- Added "Load this tournament" on the Stats Info dialog
- Formula and Condition dialogs now have a Cheat Sheet button, which opens a page in your default browser with complete
  documentation on formula variables, operators, and functions
- Highlighting a variable, function or operator in a formula or condition now opens a tooltip explaining what the
  highlighted text represents
- Added dozens of points and condition formula variables
- Added over 100 new Overall Score formula variables
- Added formula functions index(), triangle(), setListLength(), totalForRake()
- Formula "Test Range" dialog: also change "position" variable when "rank" variable selected, and vice-versa
- Added ability to override the prize amount displayed in the Game window (good for creating a prize as a portion of
  the prize pool, but advertising the prize as something else, such as a seat in another tournament)
- Added preview when selecting a table blueprint
- Added shift+click to check multiple players at a time on all player dialogs
- Overhauled Import Players dialogs:
  - Better matching on existing players
  - Tooltips give reason a player name is designated as a conflict
  - Allow editing a player before importing
- Changed font dialog to display font list using the corresponding font (and a preference for font size or disable)
- Overhauled the Hand Timer:
  - Hand Timer can now be styled
  - Added tenths-of-a-second display
  - Made timer more responsive and accurate with respect to the start/stop button
  - Added context menu options to set, reset, and change properties
- Added "format" type "ordinal" (1st, 2nd, etc) to <expression> layout token
- Added "rakeName" attribute to the <totalRake> layout token
- Modified all layout tokens with the clock "format" attribute to allow more flexible time display options
- Added <pointsFormula> layout token, which is a far more flexible replacement for <pointsForPlaying>
- Added "variables" attribute to <expression> layout token
- Added <action> layout token that allows one to add actions to HTML elements in a layout
- Added <progressbar> layout token
- Added "cheat sheet" to Insert Token Dialog
- Insert Token dialogs now have a Cheat Sheet button, which opens a page in your default browser with complete
  documentation on all layout and/or event message tokens
- Added layout tokens <chipCountAdjustment> and <unadjustedChipCount>
- Added "counts" attribute to the <chips> layout token
- Added <points> and <prizepoints> event message tokens
- Added an event trigger for "tables are consolidated" and <tablesconsolidated> event message token
- Added "index" attribute to <playerNames> layout token
- Made export tokens case-insensitive
- Added <seat> token to Receipts export (table and seat)
- Changed <timestamp> export token to always be date and time stamp (not controlled by a preference); added
  <preftimestamp> export token to conform to preferred date and time format
- Changed all [appropriate] locations to use paths encoded with <datastore> for consistency
- Added a preference to save receipts in the same folder as the tournament file
- Changed the "Omit" column to "Disabled" on the Events tab
- Added a currency symbol preference for chips
- Added hotkey action to reload the player database; useful when multiple instances of the software are accessing the
  same database
- Added navigation arrow buttons to Settings window tabs (controlled by a preference, off by default)
- Overhauled Name Format preference dialog and added additional name formats
- Added hotkey Shift+Ctrl+Alt+R to "restore" a dialog back to the center of the main display
- "Tournament Saved" dialog removed
- Added context menu options for marking or clearing unavailable seats (on Tables tab)

Bugs Fixed:
- (3.0): If "Use the estimated pot in place of the real pot" is checked on the Estimate Pot dialog on the Prizes
  tab, the rake is calculated using the estimated pot info even if the "Use an estimated pot on the prizes tab" and
  "Use an estimated pot in place of the real pot" are unchecked
- "Add to database players in the current tournament" doesn't find conflicting player IDs
- Built-in screens can sometimes stop auto-scrolling when a sound is played
- Hand timer doesn't obey "Save dialog locations" preference
- (3.0): When the tournament starts after a countdown the clock is set to the duration of the 2nd round instead of
  the 1st (fixed in 3.1.1 patch 3)
- Creating a new Layout does not reset the layout filename
- (3.0): Status updates POST method doesn't include "Content-type" header (fixes use of $_POST array in PHP)
- (2.0): <tdbutton> "image" attribute cannot use relative paths for the image
- (2.0): Column values can wrap on Player movement dialogs
- (3.1): Insert Token dialog search has multiple issues and sometimes causes an error
- <rankings> token shows fractional hits even if "Show hits as whole number" preference enabled
- (3.0): OK and Apply buttons on Prize dialog does not always save/apply the prize
- Copying the Default Status Message Property Set or Event Message Property Set causes an error
- (3.0): Changing a prize from Fixed to Non-monetary doesn't reset computed prize value (fixed in 3.0 patch 15,
  3.1 patch 4, and 3.1.1 patch 2)
- Sometimes wrong options listed when changing table size of table with players already seated
- Player seating at tournament start listed in Tournament History when in simple mode
- (2.6.b3): Default Automatic Prizes configuration counts buy-ins, rebuys, and add-ons, instead of just buy-ins
- (3.0): "Rebuy player" context menu option is missing from Game window when in Simple Mode
- (3.1.1): <inlineRankings> layout token doesn't display when any player busted out without a hitman (fixed in
  3.1.1 patch 1)
- (2.5.12): Loading a tournament doesn't clear the Tables Tab undo stack
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 10:18:36 PM by Corey Cooper »

mcfrojd

• View Profile
Flash screen i HTML screen mode
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:11:21 AM »
Hello Corey.

I made a simple HTML layout for testing.

I noticed 2 things at once.

1. added the token <clock>, but it wont count down when i start the tournament.
(perhaps the HTML screen format is for other screens besides "main" tournament screen)

2. when trying the new event action "flash" the screen changes to the colour i choose, but then stays in that fullscreen colour.
(i am using dual screens)

I tried this during lunchbreak at work, will continue to test allot more later..
Glad to see all the new features, allready love the ability to have multiple buy-in profiles, and the ability to have a token that display diffrent rake's.

mcfrojd

• View Profile
prefs file
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:31:19 AM »
I noticed now when installing the 3.2.1 in separate folder that it overwrites the prefs file (located in c:\user\xxxxx\Documents\The Tournament Director 2
(i guess that path comes from the early days running TD 2)

If i could wish, i would like to have the prefs file in "datastorage" so it could be shared on multiple computers. (maybe the file contains per computer specific information and therefor is impossible)
Or if i could have the possibility to choose where to place the file at install, so that it don't overwrite the old one that i still need for the stable release.
Or at least the possibility to change the path to the folder containing the prefs, and other files under "preferences/config files"

It would be great to be able to run both versions on same computer during testing of the beta releases

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Flash screen i HTML screen mode
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:16:41 AM »
Thanks for jumping right in! :)

Hello Corey.

I made a simple HTML layout for testing.

I noticed 2 things at once.

1. added the token <clock>, but it wont count down when i start the tournament.
(perhaps the HTML screen format is for other screens besides "main" tournament screen)

Definitely broken.  I'll have to figure out how I broke it...

2. when trying the new event action "flash" the screen changes to the colour i choose, but then stays in that fullscreen colour.
(i am using dual screens)

So do you see the screen go white (or whatever color you picked) and not fade back to normal?

This is sort of a test feature.  I implemented it with my own code, and then decided to test some jQuery integration by rewriting it to use a modified version of jQuery.  Once I got it working (via a modified jQuery), I decided to leave it that way to see what other issues might come up.  Sounds like you might have already run into one.

I tried this during lunchbreak at work, will continue to test allot more later..
Glad to see all the new features, allready love the ability to have multiple buy-in profiles, and the ability to have a token that display diffrent rake's.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: prefs file
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »
I noticed now when installing the 3.2.1 in separate folder that it overwrites the prefs file (located in c:\user\xxxxx\Documents\The Tournament Director 2
(i guess that path comes from the early days running TD 2)

The software always uses the same location to store prefs (and yes, the path remains the same from version 2 to facilitate upgrading).  If you've upgraded your current version 3.0 or 3.1 or 3.1.1 to version 3.2.b1, then this should be what you want.  But, if you've installed 3.2.b1 in a separate folder and plan to use them both (testing 3.2.b1, and falling back on 3.x when necessary), then you probably want to use the backup feature to save things ... just in case, and restore them when you return to 3.x if necessary.  Of course, you could also just make a copy of the prefs.sav file and save it somewhere else.

If i could wish, i would like to have the prefs file in "datastorage" so it could be shared on multiple computers. (maybe the file contains per computer specific information and therefor is impossible)
Or if i could have the possibility to choose where to place the file at install, so that it don't overwrite the old one that i still need for the stable release.
Or at least the possibility to change the path to the folder containing the prefs, and other files under "preferences/config files"

It would be great to be able to run both versions on same computer during testing of the beta releases

I actually do have this on the to-do list, and will be trying to get it in for 3.2.

mcfrojd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:58:07 PM »
So do you see the screen go white (or whatever color you picked) and not fade back to normal?

This is sort of a test feature.  I implemented it with my own code, and then decided to test some jQuery integration by rewriting it to use a modified version of jQuery.  Once I got it working (via a modified jQuery), I decided to leave it that way to see what other issues might come up.  Sounds like you might have already run into one.

The screen just went yellow and never came back, had to quit TD to get my desktop back.

mcfrojd

• View Profile
Re: prefs file
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:14:43 PM »
The software always uses the same location to store prefs (and yes, the path remains the same from version 2 to facilitate upgrading).  If you've upgraded your current version 3.0 or 3.1 or 3.1.1 to version 3.2.b1, then this should be what you want.  But, if you've installed 3.2.b1 in a separate folder and plan to use them both (testing 3.2.b1, and falling back on 3.x when necessary), then you probably want to use the backup feature to save things ... just in case, and restore them when you return to 3.x if necessary.  Of course, you could also just make a copy of the prefs.sav file and save it somewhere else.

I actually do have this on the to-do list, and will be trying to get it in for 3.2.
I made a backup of my datastorage (dropbox folder) and then installed the beta in a separate folder on my harddrive and pointed the path for datastorage on a new copy of the old datastorage folder.
i forgot to backup the prefs file, but now when i have had a look at it i see that it only contain TD specific information, and no computer specific information, so i think i remember most of my settings so i will be able to reset them.

The ability to set the path for the prefs file and the 2-3 other files in that folder, (i do have a folder structure in there to, but i guess its not in use when i have my datastorage in my dropbox) would make my day.
I don't know how many times i have been tweaking TD at the home computer , just to realize that i forgot what i did, and the prefs file in my laptop isn't updated. (mainly statusupdate settings witch worked fine at home, but not at the tournament.)
If you are able to get it in there, that sounds great..

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
Re: 3.2 beta 1
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »
Bug found in prize editor dialogue, entering a fixed amount results in a percentile amount, and entering a non-monetary amount yields nothing.

Tournament Still running, any other issues found will be notified as and when.

Cheers
Stu
Stuart Murray

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 03:29:10 PM »

The screen just went yellow and never came back, had to quit TD to get my desktop back.

That's unfortunate.  I guess I'll have to revert back to my own code and do some more investigation to see how I can get the jQuery stuff to be a little more resilient.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »
Bug found in prize editor dialogue, entering a fixed amount results in a percentile amount, and entering a non-monetary amount yields nothing.

Cheers
Stu

Looks like the Prize dialog reads the correct value for Amount, but isn't reading the radio selection correctly.  That's a big deal.  I'll try to get a new beta out in the next day or so.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 05:38:09 PM »
These are fixed for the next 3.2 beta.  I've also added a way to override the path to the preferences file.  The launcher will also have to be modified because it reads the prefs.fs file to determine whether or not to launch the app in fullscreen or windowed mode, but that's a minor point.  At least for the next beta release, you can specify the path to the prefs.sav file, which holds all of the other preferences.

mcfrojd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 02:17:07 AM »
Corey, you are the man...
I have been an "early adopter" with most of my favourite software and of course hardware, and you Corey are probably the the most "openminded" in means of user feedback and suggestions.
Its always great to check in to the forum and see answers to any question or suggestion one might have asked.
I really appreciate it and i think allot of peapol here do the same.

Keep up the good work.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »
Thank you.  I aim to please!  :)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »

Cheers
Stu

Looks like the Prize dialog reads the correct value for Amount, but isn't reading the radio selection correctly.  That's a big deal.  I'll try to get a new beta out in the next day or so.

Turns out this was in the object's "constructor", which means that any Prize created could have the Amount type hosed.  So, even loading a prize template or a save tournament could change the prize's Amount type.  Going to try to get beta 2 out this evening as this is a big issue.