Author Topic: Bounty Chips  (Read 10362 times)

hawklight

• View Profile
Bounty Chips
« on: July 30, 2006, 04:49:33 AM »
I ran a dummy tournament and had the winner knockout 5 others with bounty chips - yet after he "won" it showed he had purchased a bounty chip but not that he had won any others - the chips were $10 and his winnings were 1040 + 10 for the chip he had left? I was expecting it was gonna be 1040 + 60?

Also, just to be clear, I updated the bounty chips bought etc AFTER the dummy tourney ran - that is, when it ran there were no bounty chips used. I updated the "buy-ins" afterwards to add the bounty chips here n there to see the effect (as I figured TD being database based, it would acknowledge the effect of those bounty chips after the fact).

This was after trying on 2.2 b2

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bounty Chips
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 08:00:45 PM »
I've confirmed this.  The TD isn't *technically* DB based, but you are right in thinking that it should acknowledge those bounty chips, even after the fact.

I also saw that the winner in a tournament I tested, who rebought midway through the tournament, showed as having a hitman, even though his final status was not "busted out" (ie, it shouldn't have shown as having a hitman, even though the player had actually busted out at one point, because he later rebought and won the tournament).  Even weirder, it displayed the rank of the hitman, and not the hitman itself.

I'll post an update as soon as I figure this out.

hawklight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 05:48:49 AM »
Cool

As long as it's not me that's going mad......    ;)

Look forward to the update  :)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 10:37:42 PM »
OK, so I was out in the heat all day yesterday.  And I think it really affected my judgment.

I figured out the strange displaying of (what I thought was) the rank of the hitman for the winner, which it wasn't at all, but it was definitely a bug and I've fixed it.

I also found 3 other bugs, only to investigate them today and realize they aren't bugs at all.  See, heat affects judgment.

And as hard as I try, I cannot duplicate the bounty-chip anomoly that you're seeing (or that I thought I saw yesterday).  Now everything I try seems to work perfectly.

Hawklight, are you certain that what you saw corresponds with the "Restrict bounties" checkbox on the Game tab?

Some things to note:
- The Use player bounty chips checkbox actually only controls whether or not the buy-in and rebuy dialogs will display the Bounty Amount input
- The Bounty chip cost field only controls what the Bounty Amount input will be pre-filled with
- The Restrict bounties checkbox, although disabled when Use player bounty chips is unchecked, is still respected; remember that players could buy-in and purchase bounty chips, and then the Use player bounty chips option could be unchecked.  Those bounty chips are still in play, so the Restrict bounties option is still used.

hawklight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 03:47:15 AM »
Hi Corey

Just so's you know I "configureD" Bounty Chips as such and tried it for real on Friday using 2.1.2 (more on that in a sec):

Use Bounty Chips is checked
Restrict Bounties is also checked (as bounty chip purchase is optional)
The Bounty Cost is $0

I don't check off buy-ins (when done with or without bounty chips) at the start of the tournament as it can be a bit manic. Buy-ins, bounties and rebuys and addons are captured on a manual sign-in sheet (once I figure out how to do it effciently "live" I will - one step at a time ;) ). As such, I "buy-in" everyone at the outset - the reason the cost is $0 is that less people purchase bounty chips than do not - so I "add" these bounty chip purchases later when the tourney is in a quiet phase.

As I said I used 2.1.2 ('cos it was live) and then restored the tourney from a proper backup of 2.1.2 to 2.2 after the fact to see if displayed correctly. So it was via an imported 2.1.2 tourney - does that matter?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 03:46:11 PM »
No, should not matter from which version the tournament was saved.  I was actually doing most of my testing with a tournament saved from 2.0.

I've tried this several times, repeating the steps you outlined, and it still works properly for me.

Can you double-check?  And if it still appears to not be working, send the tournament file to me @ support@thetournamentdirector.net.

hawklight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 04:24:59 PM »
Hmmm okely dokely

I'll look again tomorrow and make sure I'm not seeing things (it's 11pm here in UK) and let you know

hawklight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 07:14:00 AM »
Corey

Attached is a screen shot after this "dummy" tourney finished. You will see:

1) The winner (J Fake) has a hitman of "4" (???? - expected this to be blank)

2) J Fake also knocked out 4 people, a couple of which had bounty chip, but it only shows him winning 1 bounty chip for some reason (and presumably this is his own original bounty chip)

As said this was a 2.1.2 tourney loaded into 2.2 b2

I also attach the tournry file itself....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 07:25:56 AM by hawklight »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 08:42:15 AM »
Ok, I believe you have found a bug, but it's not as bad as I thought.

First, a player who "keeps" his bounty chip (typically by winning) does not "win" his bounty chip.  In other words, it is tracked separately.  If you show the columns "Bounties Kept" and "Bounty Money Kept", you'll see J Fake's bounty chip show up.

J Fake busted out 4 players, but appears to have earned only 1 bounty.  He should have earned 2.  Here's why:  A Lee and J Kyriakides did not purchase bounty chips.  T Dalton did, for which J Fake earned a bounty chip.  M Chambers also did, for which J Fake should have earned a bounty chip, and herein lies the bug.  M Chambers purchased a bounty chip with his initial buy-in, but then rebought several times before busting out.  That bounty chip should sort of transfer forward to the latest buy-in (rebuy) for purposes of being awarded.

For M Chambers, the story is the same.  He busted out 2 players, each of which purchased bounty chips, and each of which purchased rebuys before being busted out.

Thanks for posting this tournament.

hawklight

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 08:46:08 AM »
Ah Ha! Understood.

Glad it helped (I am an ex developer, DBA and now Project Manager, so very aware of how much user input can help)

Looking forward to your next iteration............ doing a grand job Corey!

:)