Author Topic: Stat screen Bug  (Read 7307 times)

TimDugan

• View Profile
    • The Oregon Poker Tour
Stat screen Bug
« on: July 25, 2006, 10:39:30 AM »
Something small, but I'd like to know if this is the same for everyone else.

1) I installed 2.2 into a new folder, then imported the player DB, and imported my current league and season.  When I tried to refresh the stats page, all the tournaments were filtered, but none of the players were filtered.  After playing with the filters for a bit, I finally opened an old tournament and found out that none of the players in the old tournament were listed as being in the database, even though I had imported the database from the last version.  Was this expected?

To remedy this easily, I uninstalled 2.2, created a copied folder of 2.1.2 and installed 2.2 over 2.1.2.  That retained my DB, settings, etc.

2) When I move the column tabs around by clicking and dragging them, a red "X" appears like there's a missing image.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Stat screen Bug
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 11:04:07 AM »
Dang it, that's because there is an image missing.  You should be seeing a pair of arrows indicating where the column will be placed should you drop it at that time.  I'll post an update this evening.

As for #1: You didn't describe how you imported your DB from your current install of version 2.1.2, but my guess is that you exported your players to a CSV file and then imported them the same way.  Yeah, this will not work the way you expect.  The problem is that each player (and league and season) has a unique internal (ie, the user never actually sees it) identifier, and that is what is referenced in your saved tournaments.  So as far as the software knew, the players in your 2.2 database were entirely different from your players in your 2.1.2 database, even though they had the same name, etc.

Here's a better way to do what you were attempting:  Use the "Backup" button on the Database page.  Backup the database and then unzip the resulting backup file into where you are installing the new version.

TimDugan

• View Profile
    • The Oregon Poker Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 01:03:35 PM »
Dang it, that's because there is an image missing.  You should be seeing a pair of arrows indicating where the column will be placed should you drop it at that time.  I'll post an update this evening.

As for #1: You didn't describe how you imported your DB from your current install of version 2.1.2, but my guess is that you exported your players to a CSV file and then imported them the same way.  Yeah, this will not work the way you expect.  The problem is that each player (and league and season) has a unique internal (ie, the user never actually sees it) identifier, and that is what is referenced in your saved tournaments.  So as far as the software knew, the players in your 2.2 database were entirely different from your players in your 2.1.2 database, even though they had the same name, etc.

Here's a better way to do what you were attempting:  Use the "Backup" button on the Database page.  Backup the database and then unzip the resulting backup file into where you are installing the new version.

Oops.  Yeah, that's exactly how I imported the data.  Forgot to mention that :P  But as I said, I just copied the older version of the program into a new folder and installed 2.2 over it and it worked fine, probably because the internal identifiers were still all there.

So far the only problem I'm having with the program is that it's running slow for me.  Lagging I mean; it runs in real time, but whenever I go to do anything (change screens, bust out a player, change an option mid-game) or when the blinds change automatically, the program runs slowly.  So far that seems to be the only "problem" I've run into during the dummy tournament I ran.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 07:27:47 PM »
Ok, the beta has been updated to include the missing image.  I didn't rev the version for this little glitch.

Tim, I can't imagine why the software would now run more slowly.  Well, maybe I can.  But I can think of only one thing that has changed as far as updating the tournament screen goes, and that's the addition of background images to cells, rows, and columns.  But I noticed no appreciable speed difference when I added this feature.  There is also the addition of styles, but unless you create some, they have no effect.  Backgrounds are always set, but without you setting the properties a cell's (or row's or column's) background, I can't imagine it slowing anything down.

The Bust Players Out dialog is bound to be a little slower, since I changed it from a "select" list to a checkbox list.  The select list was initially used precisely for its speed - it renders very quickly, but it's a bit unwieldy when selecting multiple items, and it doesn't allow for "columns" of data.  On that dialog in particular I made every speed adjustment I could, and I weighed whether or not it should be changed, but consistency won out and I just had to be resigned to the fact that it will take more time to render.

Is there any more precise information you can give me?  I really don't want to slow the app down any more than it already is.

lethargicdolt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 10:20:03 PM »
Played around with backgrounds in a lot of cells and it did not slow down the clock. I did get a script error when I tried to use the HTML styles. I emailed you the error file. Occurred when trying to do a cell and a column.

I like the ability to add backgrounds to the various cells, etc...that is a very nice feature....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 10:27:09 PM by lethargicdolt »
If you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the numbers...
Homer Simpson

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 12:10:06 AM »
Played around with backgrounds in a lot of cells and it did not slow down the clock. I did get a script error when I tried to use the HTML styles. I emailed you the error file. Occurred when trying to do a cell and a column.

I like the ability to add backgrounds to the various cells, etc...that is a very nice feature....

I haven't received anything.  Any chance you have a copy of that email or error?

TimDugan

• View Profile
    • The Oregon Poker Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 08:52:48 PM »
I ran a real tournament and it ran better than the dummy one I'd run a few days ago.  Of course, it could be because the real tournament had 7 players while the dummy tournament had 45.  I think the other tournament was running slow for me just because the program had too much to load.  *shrugs*  Worked fine otherwise for me so far.

Bean_D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 03:27:28 PM »
Tim, I can't imagine why the software would now run more slowly.  Well, maybe I can.  But I can think of only one thing that has changed as far as updating the tournament screen goes, and that's the addition of background images to cells, rows, and columns.  But I noticed no appreciable speed difference when I added this feature.  There is also the addition of styles, but unless you create some, they have no effect.  Backgrounds are always set, but without you setting the properties a cell's (or row's or column's) background, I can't imagine it slowing anything down.

The Bust Players Out dialog is bound to be a little slower, since I changed it from a "select" list to a checkbox list.  The select list was initially used precisely for its speed - it renders very quickly, but it's a bit unwieldy when selecting multiple items, and it doesn't allow for "columns" of data.  On that dialog in particular I made every speed adjustment I could, and I weighed whether or not it should be changed, but consistency won out and I just had to be resigned to the fact that it will take more time to render.

Is there any more precise information you can give me?  I really don't want to slow the app down any more than it already is.

I canīt give you more precise information either, but Itīs the same for me. The program runs *much* slower comparing to what it did before the upgrade on my laptop (1.8ghz, 512 ram) than before. I canīt notice anything on my PC tho. (P4 2.67 ghz, 1 gig ram) It is most noticeable when I use the "Refresh Torneys" function. I can live with it, but I must admit that I regretted my upgrade a short while when I noticed it. 10 sec (or something like that) longer before the stats is calculated seems like a long time when you are eager to find out if you still are the season leader. :-D
/Bean

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 11:52:38 AM »
I've made an update in 2.2.1 that will make "Refresh Tourneys" action faster on subsequent invocations.  What that means is it will only load all of your tournaments the first time you press it (each time the TD is run).  Press it again and it will check the timestamps of the tournament files and only reload those that have changed or are new.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 10:26:52 PM »
I noticed tonight that the Refresh Tourneys action does indeed run more slowly since 2.1 (or at least it sure seemed that way).  I went back and ran a test loading the exact same set of tournaments and noticed that the speed decrease was minimal.  2.1 loaded my set of 10 tournaments in about 8 seconds.  2.2 loaded the same set in about 9.5 seconds.

The only thing I can attribute it to is a fix in 2.2 for rebuying players before they have busted out.  This feature was added in 2.1, but bounty chips weren't awarded properly.  The fix is in 2.2, and it definitely adds time to the calculations that occur when the tournament state has to be updated, since it has to go through every buy-in for every player and "promote" bounty chips if the player rebuys before busting out.  This has to occur whether or not the tournament uses bounty chips, and whether or not the tournament allows rebuys before busting out, unfortunately.

Hopefully the change I mentioned in the last topic reply will help to ease the pain.