Author Topic: High CPU Usage  (Read 6820 times)

richielee

• View Profile
    • The Scaffolders Arms
High CPU Usage
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:43:41 AM »
Hi Correy,

I've just had a chance to look at the Beta 2 and I've managed to recreate the conditions when TD slows right down.
I'm running a test tournament now and as soon as I busted someone out my laptop has slowed.
I've screen dumped the task manager - anything else you need to see?

Richard

BTW, The fan has just come on on my laptop (which I have never noticed before) I think my PC is crashing due to the processor overheating because it's running TD at 90-100%

Laptop is a

Acer Travel mate
Mobile intel celeron
1.33Ghz
256 ram

*EDIT* With the clock paused, the cpu drops to 50-60%
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 04:46:38 AM by richielee »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: High CPU Usage
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 01:18:22 PM »
I wish I could tell you what is happening, but I can't see any particular reason why Internet Explorer would be working so hard.  Certainly if you've got the window at a large size, updating the tournament screen could be CPU intensive, but judging by your screen shot it doesn't appear you do.  Updating 4 separate areas, with larger fonts, could be the culprit, especially if your CPU isn't relatively fast.  I'm no expert, but I'd say a Celeron at 1.33GHz isn't relatively fast.  I suspect, noting your edit about the clock being paused, that if you removed 3 of the 4 clocks the CPU usage would drop considerably.  Running at 50% or higher even when the screen isn't updating still seems high.  What's the CPU usage look like when the seating chart is displayed?

richielee

• View Profile
    • The Scaffolders Arms
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 02:53:22 PM »
Sorry, the 4 clock thing is a new table I'm building with a monitor in the middle. Thats not our normal template or the one that we had problems with beta testing on the 19th December.

I've reattached new screen shots:

single screen on clock
single screen on seating chart
dual screen on single clock
dual screen on seating

I've also just rechecked the CPU usage running 2.42 and thats around 50% with the clock displayed and 30% on the seating chart.

My laptops not the best but it's a clean install with nothing on it other than TD. I'm going to try it on my home PC tomorrow. I have a dual core AMD 6000+ with dual screen to my TV so I'll see what it runs like on a better processor.

I've been after a new laptop for a while, this might be the excuse I'm looking for...;)

DragonII

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:06:23 AM »
Have you tried remove baackgrounds on all screens? That might use little less cpu usage.

I have noticed when i tested put some images/background make more cpu usage.

Will try more with that (Imstalling Windows 2000 Pro under virtual machine, running under linux here)

richielee

• View Profile
    • The Scaffolders Arms
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 09:36:47 AM »
Hi DragonII,

I tried that but it didn't make much difference. Reading other posts, It's the clock that eats the CPU.

My laptop is old - might have to stick with 2.43 :(

DragonII

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:36:11 AM »
Hi DragonII,

I tried that but it didn't make much difference. Reading other posts, It's the clock that eats the CPU.

My laptop is old - might have to stick with 2.43 :(

Okay. Hmm. But i dont have laptop yet (my gf borrow it :( ) so i cant test new version on it.
That do have Pentium III at 800 mhz and 320 mb RAM and Win XP.

But soon i have tournament in next week, so i using desktop pc with AMD 1900+ cpu with 512 mb ram, and also using Win 2000 Pro on it.
So my guessing a clean install Windows 2000 Pro might run softly. So ill let u know if it work soft or not.

Manza

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 06:49:53 AM »
If you have Microsoft Defender installed on your PC, try to shut down Defender. it helped me.