Author Topic: Points  (Read 2535 times)

Asphyxiates

• View Profile
log((n + 1) / r) - In the tournament score formula. What does this mean?
(1-exp(-average(scores))) * 100 - In the overall score formula, and this?
It says the score awarded for this is 2.4849 which seems very low... I was expecting the winner of a 10 man game to get approx 70 - 80 points??

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Points
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »
log((n+1)/r) means that you take the number of people in the tournament (n) plus 1, divide it by the player's rank (r), and take the log function based upon that result. 'log' is hard to calculate on paper, but the result is what you would have to take 10 raised to a power to get the argument of log.

Say there's 10 people (n) and I finish 1st (r=1). You'd get log((10+1)/1), which becomes log(11/1), becoming log(11). What power must you raise 10 to, in order to get 11? Answer (which is the result of log(11)) is 1.041393.

Does showing this help you understand that formula?
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Asphyxiates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 06:44:50 AM »
Im definately not at your level of understanding but it certainly helped to understand when broken down, thanks. The maximum at our poker nights is 10 people. Is there a way to create a formula to include max(3, n - r + 1) + if(n < 11, switch(r, 1,3, 2, 2, 3, 1), switch(r, 1, 8, 2, 6, 3, 4, 4, 2)), (which I think works really well in our format giving an extra 3,2 & 1 points to the top 3) but also to include.... say bonus points for no re-buys, penalties for having to re-buy, maybe even bonus points if you win 4 games in a season.... In your humble opinion
Ta

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:06:38 AM »
Yes, the max(3,n-r+1) + if(n<11, switch(r,1,3,2,2,3,1), switch(r,1,8,2,6,3,4,4,2) definitely would work. I don't believe that the program would be able to automatically give out bonus points for no rebuys or for winning 4x in a season. However, since you limit it to ten people, you could quickly manually do this. On the players tab, with the tournament still loaded, right click on the player, and select edit player. There's a section for rebuys as well as points, and if you see 0's for rebuys, you can adjust the player's points in the points section using the adjustment box.

There may be a way to incorporate it into the formula (like if rebuys = 0 then add bonus points), but I cannot remember seeing anything to represent the rebuys directly.
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Asphyxiates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »
Thanks Magic, ill give it a test whirl and let you know how it works, i take I can change the points in the edit player function to - and say .25!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:35:15 AM »
Sure, you can add bonus points for no rebuys.  For example:

max(3, n - r + 1) + if(n < 11, switch(r, 1,3, 2, 2, 3, 1), switch(r, 1, 8, 2, 6, 3, 4, 4, 2)) + if(nr = 0, 5)

... will add 5 bonus points for players who have 0 rebuys in the tournament.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »
By the way, as to your very first question, the fact that the formula log((n + 1) / r) seems to give fewer points than you expected isn't really the point, the point of a formula like this is the difference in points that are awarded to each rank.  As you rank better in the tournament, the number of points you receive versus the player who ranked just after you is higher.  In other words,  there is a larger gap between 1st and 2nd place, than say 24th and 25th place.  See the graph I attached.  The X (horizontal) axis is rank, the Y (vertical) axis is points awarded by the log((n + 1) / r) formula.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:44:39 AM »
Sure, you can add bonus points for no rebuys.  For example:

max(3, n - r + 1) + if(n < 11, switch(r, 1,3, 2, 2, 3, 1), switch(r, 1, 8, 2, 6, 3, 4, 4, 2)) + if(nr = 0, 5)

... will add 5 bonus points for players who have 0 rebuys in the tournament.

Thanks Corey, guess I know now for when I see others ask  ;)
---

Asphyxiates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 01:48:06 PM »
Thanks Corey, can the end of that formula be changed to add .25 instead of 5 full points? Oh and would the same apply if someone rebuys... example +if(nr+1, 0.25) and if this would work what would have to be added to the forula if someone bought in 2 or 3 or more times??

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 02:18:01 PM »
Thanks Corey, can the end of that formula be changed to add .25 instead of 5 full points? Oh and would the same apply if someone rebuys... example +if(nr+1, 0.25) and if this would work what would have to be added to the forula if someone bought in 2 or 3 or more times??

I'm not sure I understand you exactly.  To change the formula to award .25 points (instead of 5) for players who do not rebuy, just change the "5" to a ".25":

+ if(nr = 0, .25)

But the second of your question, what do you mean?  What do you want to do for players who rebuy once, or twice, or three times?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 02:37:24 PM »
If someone rebuys at least once, then they wouldn't get any bonus points. But if you're looking to penalize players for a rebuy, then you could do something like - nr. Or, if you're looking to penalize something other than a full point (say 3/4 of a point), then you could change that to be -0.75*nr
---

Asphyxiates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 03:53:44 PM »
Hi,
I was messing around with the programme and realised my glaring mistake! Regarding points.... on the game tab it gives you the option to award players for buy-in also for hitman and add-ons and should also allow me to put a negative number -.25 for example when someone has to rebuy! Saves having to input any formula.