Author Topic: Rebuys?  (Read 5803 times)

Silver Owl

• View Profile
Rebuys?
« on: February 04, 2016, 04:10:38 PM »
We have had a league for a number of years and never did rebuys until now. When we discussed having rebuys a couple of people thought that the rebuy chips should be for a lesser amount than the regular starting chips but for the same buy-in.

I thought that re-buys would be for the same amount of chips as regular.

Which is the standard way to do re-buys?

efdenny

• View Profile
Re: Rebuys?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 07:11:58 PM »
Honestly, use whatever works best for your group.  BUT, if you want an official take on it, Poker TDA Rules state it should be full stacks:

Rule 7: Alternates, players registering late, and re-entries will be sold full stacks, randomly seated at any position, and dealt in except between SB and button.

http://www.pokertda.com/poker-tda-rules/

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 05:57:23 AM »
Thanks,
That was the way I thought it was supposed to be done.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 06:35:00 PM »
Honestly, use whatever works best for your group.  BUT, if you want an official take on it, Poker TDA Rules state it should be full stacks:

Rule 7: Alternates, players registering late, and re-entries will be sold full stacks, randomly seated at any position, and dealt in except between SB and button.

http://www.pokertda.com/poker-tda-rules/

Re-entries and Rebuys are not the same thing...

efdenny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 05:19:26 PM »

Re-entries and Rebuys are not the same thing...

Agreed, but I believe the OP meant re-entry. Rebuy is just the more common term in home games, in my experience, and usually the terms are used interchangeably... even if they don't mean exactly the same thing.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »
Why would you speculate on what the OP meant. You stated a rule that applies to re-entries ONLY while answering a question about rebuys...

Normally the cost of a rebuy is less that the starting cost of the tournament because you should not charge the admin fee again... Not the case for re-entries.

Also if your tournament feature a Dealer Add-On, those could be applicable only to the start of the tournament (hence not for rebuys) in this case NO the Rebuy Stack would not be the same as the starting stack.

efdenny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 06:21:13 PM »
Again, typically home games don't charge an admin fee, most tournaments no longer do "re-buys", only "re-entries", and there was no mention of dealer add-ons, rakes, needing to make an immediate decision... since the OP accepted the answer (of a year old thread), there is no point in debating. The main take-away from this thread should be "Honestly, use whatever works best for your group."

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 09:24:20 PM »
Why would you speculate on what the OP meant. You stated a rule that applies to re-entries ONLY while answering a question about rebuys...

Normally the cost of a rebuy is less that the starting cost of the tournament because you should not charge the admin fee again... Not the case for re-entries.

Also if your tournament feature a Dealer Add-On, those could be applicable only to the start of the tournament (hence not for rebuys) in this case NO the Rebuy Stack would not be the same as the starting stack.

This is informative to me, because I've always been a bit fuzzy on the difference between rebuys and re-entries.  Hence why I've not yet added re-entries to the application.

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 07:21:55 AM »
Just to clarify, this is a 7-10 player home game. I didn't realize there was a difference between rebuys and re-entries and I still don't know which one I was asking about. Its a no-limit holdem tournament and if you are knocked out before level 5 you can (rebuy/re-entry?). There is no rake , no dealer add-ons of any kind. Kinda funny that I come here and usually read the new messages, I didn't realize that it was me asking the original question until you guys started talking about the OP.  :)
BTW, I give a full stack for the same entry fee amount.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 07:24:27 AM by Silver Owl »

christopherh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 12:02:40 AM »
My interpretation of the difference between the two are:

Re-entry - a player busts out of a tournament and purchases a new complete stack in accordance to Rule #7 of the TDA Rules (or similar when using custom rules)
Re-buy - When a player is still in the tournament/game and has less than the starting stack (but still in the tournament) can purchase additional chips, or in the event of a cash game they can add to their stack provided it is within the minimum and maximum buy-in limits.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong :)

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »
Re-entry - a player busts out of a tournament and purchases a new complete stack in accordance to Rule #7 of the TDA Rules (or similar when using custom rules)
This player acts a NEW player in the tournament (i.e. the number of players entered increases). Since he got up from the table he is normally reseated at another table (or have to wait for an available seat in case of alternates) and must abide by the NEW PLAYER TO THE TABLE rules of play (i.e. Should he bust on his BB an is reseated at the SAME SEAT the hand after, he cannot play the SB, he has to wait for the button to pass.)
Administration fees will be collected again for this player.

Re-buy - When a player is still in the tournament/game and has less than the starting stack (but still in the tournament) can purchase additional chips, or in the event of a cash game they can add to their stack provided it is within the minimum and maximum buy-in limits.
Actually the "less than the starting stack" rule is "local" in nature, some tournaments do require a player to lose all his/her chips in order to make a rebuy. A rebuying player cannot miss a hand unless specify by another house rule. Administration fees are normally waived on rebuys (i.e. in a 50$ + 10$ tournament, the rebuy is normally 50$). The number of entered player in the tournament does not increase when a player rebuys (This changes the way purses are calculated)

Rebuys and Re-Entries DO NOT apply to cash games.

HTH

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 09:28:26 PM »
Great info Lafrog.  So, does that mean one could implement a re-entry (aside from the fact that it would not increase the number of players in the tournament) by simply creating a rebuy that does not include any rakes/fees, and force the player to take a new seat?

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 10:27:40 PM »
Hi Corey,

of course you could, however if your purses are calculated based on the number of entries than your players have ground to feel being cheated out of money...

• 49 entrants + 12 rebuys normally produce 5 purses.
  • 49 entrants + 12 re-entries would normally produce 7 purses.

When i run re-entry tournaments I have my SCREEN display the "number of entries" as (entries + rebuys) and set the purses accordingly.

Before that we simply created duplicate entry of our players as needed (i.e. Player Name and Player Name #2)