Author Topic: Double Tournament  (Read 1376 times)

tncrob

• View Profile
Double Tournament
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:08:46 PM »
This is my first post but I have read almost a year back and cannot find any other related posts to this topic. We run our league as a double tournament. 
That means everyone must buy in for $20 to get in the main tournament but then everyone has the option to also buy in for a second tournament for $10. These are actually the same tournament.
For example I might have 30 people buy in the first tournament and 24 of them buy into the second tournament. Now I have two prize lists to pay out.
The first tournament pays 5 places and obviously the last 5 players left in the tournament will get paid.
The second tournament (because of my published schedule based on entries) only pays 4 places. Of those players paying the second buyin, they finish 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 7th in the main tournament. In the main tournament the 3rd, 4th, and 6th pace finishers did not pay the extra buyin. So 1st, 2nd and 5th get two payouts and 7th gets a single payout from the $10 tournament.

I know TD cannot handle this now (I run the $10 prize list manually and can explain how I do that if anyone is interested) but does it make sense to add this functionality?

I have never heard or seen any kind of tournament that offers this kind of flexibility but I created it to allow some players the option to play while not creating as much of a financial hardship. The players (both single and double participants) seem to really enjoy it.

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
Re: Double Tournament
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 06:33:25 AM »
hi tncrob,

You are referring to a 'Side Pot' which I have quite regular in league poker in pubs.  I always track money separately for non-compulsory buy-in events, To have TD tracking this would be so complicated it would slow registration substantially, and would require pretty exclusive handling of players buyins, which I don't believe to be worth the required input by Corey to program such a feature.

Certainly not a feature I would like to see added, as I think commercially registration should not be any slower than it is already.

Regards
Stuart
Stuart Murray

tncrob

• View Profile
Re: Double Tournament
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 08:49:12 AM »
Thanks Stuart, "side pot" is a reasonable description of what I have in mind. We also call it a "last Longer" pot with a payout schedule.

What I envision for setting up TD would be to add a checkbox on the GAME tab for a "second buy in" which would then open a pop up window to complete the details. If that box was checked during tournament setup then the "buy in players" pop up window would simply add a second checkbox next to each players name. if the first box was checked then the player is entered into only the first tournament. If the second box was checked then the first box would auto-check and the player would be entered into both tournaments.

It seems simple to add the second tournament payouts to the existing "prizes" tab and the Player rankings (F3) screen seems to have enough real estate to add both payout schedules on the display.

I am all for simplicity in registration and I think this could work quickly enough. I am also in favor of adding flexibility, increasing player enjoyment, and recognizing the economic impact of how much it costs to play. I also don't think that having two players at the final table with different initial investments would affect play but someone else may feel differently. Keep in mind that the second tournament could be higher than the first for the real gamblers out there.