Author Topic: Any alternate work-arounds for the blank ms-its screen issue?  (Read 4864 times)

CanopicJar

• View Profile
    • The Back Door Holdem blog
I am really wanting to get upgraded to TD2 but cannot get past the blank ms-its screen.  I have tried the bugoff program and it says ms-its is enabled.  It also states that ms-itss is disabled but will not let me enable it.  Also if I right click on the blank ms-its screen, I can click refresh.  At that point the program loads up but gives an error at location 104, and then states that it must shut down at this time.

I have disabled the script-stopper in my McAfee anti-virus program.  TD1.3 runs fine.

Please Help!

Travis

CanopicJar

• View Profile
Re: Any alternate work-arounds for the blank ms-its screen issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 06:37:14 AM »
Well, I have tried shutting down all non-vital programs and still get the same issue.

When I right click on this blank screen and pick refresh, it goes ahead and loads but gives the Error in Line 104.  Any information on what line 104 is?

Thanks,
Travis

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 11:28:26 AM »
Canopic Jar: Containers (usually numbering four) found in ancient tombs which stored organs and viscera which were believed to be essential for the dead person’s existence in the afterlife.

Interesting.  And your icon/avatar is a monkey in a suit...  OK.

Just so you know, I haven't been ignoring you, I just unfortunately don't have a solution.  If I could reproduce the problem myself, I might have a fighting chance at it.

However, this issue seems to scream that the ms-its protocol isn't functioning.  Perhaps it isn't disabled, but has been rendered inoperative due to something else.  I really can't say.

The reference to a line number is irrelevant.  It's fairly obvious things have broken down long before any Tournament Director code has been executed.  Line 104 could be referencing any one of dozens of source code files, and none have a relevant line 104.

CanopicJar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 11:39:22 AM »
Re: my username - can you guess what my profession is?

Re: my avatar - it was taken from this video: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/barmonkey.html  I guess sometimes I just feel like a monkey in a suit!

I appreciate you responding.   Given that it must be an issue with ms-its, why do you propose that the older version of TD works fine?  Also, given that my ms-its is being hindered, how do I go about correcting that?

Thanks,
Travis

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 01:19:22 PM »
The older version works because it did not utilize the ms-its protocol; version 2.0 does.  I would have no idea how to repair if indeed it is broken in some way, which I also cannot determine.

Try this: On your Start menu, select "Run", and then paste the following into the Run dialog:

hh.exe ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

This should open a help window with a command-line reference set of help.  I *assume* that if the ms-its protocol is broken in some way, this will not work on your computer.  I don't know how much that will ultimately help, though.

CanopicJar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 03:29:44 PM »

Try this: On your Start menu, select "Run", and then paste the following into the Run dialog:

hh.exe ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

:o  OK, it opened with an internet explorer script error regarding ms-its.  So that confirms that it is an issue with IE and may lead me to a resolution.

Thanks!

CanopicJar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 12:30:44 PM »
Well after much searching, with many failed attempts to alleviate the situation, I have come to the conclusion that I need to do a clean install of windows.  So this weekend I will be backing up and reformatting.  Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Travis

CanopicJar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 09:56:16 AM »
OK,

After wiping the HD and completing a clean install of everything, I am now able to run TD2.0 ;D

Travis