Author Topic: Add "search" button in tables tab and "total chips in play & avg" in controls  (Read 3440 times)

Linker_Split

• View Profile
hi coorey
is it possible to ad a "search" button in the tables tab?
Because of big tournaments we need to find quickly where a player is seated through 12-15 tables

Also, can you add a "total chips in play" string which is the sum of the manual written chipcounts and a "average" string also in the controls tab?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
hi coorey
is it possible to ad a "search" button in the tables tab?
Because of big tournaments we need to find quickly where a player is seated through 12-15 tables

Sure, that could be done.  Sounds worthwhile.

Also, can you add a "total chips in play" string which is the sum of the manual written chipcounts and a "average" string also in the controls tab?

I'll have to look into it.  Makes sense to add this in a few places, but it needs to be distinguished from the "other" Chip Count already available.

Asegzamfire

• View Profile
To find a Specific name over multiple tables like 10-40  i just go in the Players tab but name in order and look for it, you can see the seat if you added the column of course. Quick enough to check, but having it with a search option could be a little cool option to not have to go between the Tabs.

Linker_Split

• View Profile
Three very important things to implement (IMHO):
- option to decide the number of players to seat in tables (example: I have ten 10-seat tables, so 100 players, but I have only 50 registered, and I'm expecting other 50 players, so I want to seat them in all the tables; is it possible to seat the TD to seat 5 players per table?)

- redraw by chipcount (example: I've updated the player's chipcount, so I want to seat them in a way to balance chips per table; is it possible to have this done by TD?)

- option to show chipcount on the tables tab

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Good info, Linker_Split.

Three very important things to implement (IMHO):
- option to decide the number of players to seat in tables (example: I have ten 10-seat tables, so 100 players, but I have only 50 registered, and I'm expecting other 50 players, so I want to seat them in all the tables; is it possible to seat the TD to seat 5 players per table?)

This is a fundamental difference in the way the software attempts to seat and balance players.  The TD wants to fill up tables as much as possible, so it goes for filling up tables and not spreading out players.  In your example, it would (as I'm sure you know) fill 5 tables with the 50 players.

I did allow for a different balancing algorithm, so this could be done of course, but it's not a simple change.  In implementing something like this, programmers tend to extend specific cases to generalities.  So your specific example of seating 50 players at 10 tables by placing 5 players at each table would be extended to "spread players out to all tables".  This works OK for seating 50 players at 10 tables, but what if in your 100-player tournament only 20 people show up?  You might in reality wait until more players arrive but the software still has to handle this case.  Do you really want to place 2 people at each table?  Maybe you do, maybe you don't, I honestly don't know, but the algorithm needs to know.  Anyway, something I have to think about long and hard.

- redraw by chipcount (example: I've updated the player's chipcount, so I want to seat them in a way to balance chips per table; is it possible to have this done by TD?)

Similar answer to above.  It would have to be a different seating algorithm.  But yes, could be done.

If I recall correctly, this one is a bit more difficult than it seems.  Putting players into equal buckets is not a simple problem, particularly when chip counts can be vary wildly.  And likely with an emphasis on also putting the same number of people at each table (or into each bucket).

- option to show chipcount on the tables tab

Yes, could definitely be added.  FYI, it's an option with the <seatingchart> layout token.  Not that that helps you.

I've added all of this to my "to-do" list and will investigate more once 3.3 is released.

Linker_Split

• View Profile
Good info, Linker_Split.
This is a fundamental difference in the way the software attempts to seat and balance players.  The TD wants to fill up tables as much as possible, so it goes for filling up tables and not spreading out players.  In your example, it would (as I'm sure you know) fill 5 tables with the 50 players.

I did allow for a different balancing algorithm, so this could be done of course, but it's not a simple change.  In implementing something like this, programmers tend to extend specific cases to generalities.  So your specific example of seating 50 players at 10 tables by placing 5 players at each table would be extended to "spread players out to all tables".  This works OK for seating 50 players at 10 tables, but what if in your 100-player tournament only 20 people show up?  You might in reality wait until more players arrive but the software still has to handle this case.  Do you really want to place 2 people at each table?  Maybe you do, maybe you don't, I honestly don't know, but the algorithm needs to know.  Anyway, something I have to think about long and hard.
No, I gave you an example.
Maybe you can implement a pop-up window where I can specify the numbers of tables to open (according to the number of players that I have). So If I have 20 players at the start, I specify 3 tables, the TD will seat 6-7-7 players.

Asegzamfire

• View Profile
Easy way for you right now, would be to simply make 2-3 seats available on each table on your 3 tables and then your 20 players will spread on all seats, same as for 10 tables, just block all the even or odd seats then sit down your players. open all the 2 for example to gave out 10 news seats.  I know its more manual working, but could do the job while Corey figured out something.