Author Topic: Another guy who isn't able to write his own Formula ;)  (Read 3473 times)

felix

• View Profile
Another guy who isn't able to write his own Formula ;)
« on: December 05, 2008, 01:04:15 PM »
Hi there,
i am hosting a single table tournament series.
For that i need a formula, that should cover the following criterias:
1. every player gets 5 points just for participating
2. every player gets 5 points for each other player that gets busted before
3. if a player busts out another, the hitman should get 3 points
4. i a player rebuys, he should loose 3 points
5. if a player takes an addon, he should loose 0.3 points (this is not a normal addon, we allow addons at the end of the rebuy phase in increments of a tenth of the starting stack, up to the starting stack, so the penalty for the addon is related to the penalty for the rebuy.)
6. the player who finishes fourth should get 2.5 additional points
7. the player who finishes third should get 5 additional points
8. the player who finishes second should get 10 additional points
9. the player who finishes first should get 15 additional points

Can someone of you guys can help me to set up a formula like that? I am a total dummie when it comes to algebra, so i don't have a clue how to do that  :-X

Also is it possible to add a formula to the whole season (10 games) that the td makes a ranking, where only the 7 best games of each participant get counted.

I hope you can help me out, thanks in advance,
Felix.   

Phaze

• View Profile
Re: Another guy who isn't able to write his own Formula ;)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 08:09:38 PM »
Code: [Select]
((n-r+1) * 5) + (nh * 3) - (tnr * 3) - (tna * .3) + switch(r, 1, 15, 2, 10, 3, 5, 4, 2.5)
as for top 7 of 10 games use this:

sum(top(7, scores))

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 08:27:35 AM »
Slight correction to Phaze's formula, change "tnr" to "nr" and "tna" to "na":

((n-r+1) * 5) + (nh * 3) - (nr * 3) - (na * .3) + switch(r, 1, 15, 2, 10, 3, 5, 4, 2.5)
tnr and tna are total number of rebuys/add-ons for all players

felix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 08:51:10 AM »
Thanks a lot!
So i can start our new season today  ;D

Kudos to you, corey and phaze, i really appreciate how helpful you are.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:04:53 AM »
accchhh... sorry I was tired... np felix

felix

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 05:31:38 AM »
The formula works very well, thanks for that!
But, i have a few more questions:
1. I think i made a mistake somewhere, if i look at the players tab after a tournament, the score is a little off.
Here is an example:
Game with 7 players, the player in the first place busted 3 other players and did not rebuy or addon.
In the points column, his score is 73.0 points. But he normally should get 59.0 points for that tournament (5 for playing +30 for surviving 7 guys +9 for busting 3 other players + 15 for placing first = 59 points). If i look at the game in the stats tab, the overall points column show the correct 59 points, but the points column also shows the (weird) 73.0 points. The "points" column shows some more points for each player than it should. By now i haven't been able to figure out how those extra points are calculated and where they come from.
I put this [ ((n-r+1) * 5) + (nh * 3) - (tnr * 3) - (tna * .3) + switch(r, 1, 15, 2, 10, 3, 5, 4, 2.5) ] formula into the "points for playing" field in the game tab and into the "tournament scoring" field in the filter located in the "stats tab". I put this [ sum(top(7, scores)) ] formula into the "stats tab" overall scoring filter. So do you know how i can solve this problem? I can't explain why he ads some 'mysterious' points in the "points" column but shows the exact points in the "overall scoring" column.

2. Also i have another question regarding the export to homepokertour.com.
If i export the game, everything works fine, but the rebuys and addons ar not included in the "Buy-In" column. Sure they aren't added to that column in the TD as well, but is there a way to add the total amount of money spent on buy-in, rebuys and addons per player that it is exported to HPT? Now it shows the usual $5 Buy-In for each player in in HPT and i have to add the costs of rebuys and addons for each player manually.
So it would be great if i could export the "total cost" column from the TD to HPT instead of the "Buy-In" column.
Is there a way to get that done?

Thanks again for helping a guy who's getting a little lost in the great functions of the software.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 11:01:05 AM »
My guess is that you've got an error in your Points for Playing formula.  Sounds like the Tournament Scoring formula is correct.  When I input the formula and set it for7 players, 1st place, 3 hits, I get 59 points.  So double-check your formulas.

Better yet, if you're using the same formula for Tournament Scoring as you are for Points for Playing, don't enter the formula again in the Tournament Scoring formula, just enter "points".  That will set the player's Score to the same value as their points, which is calculated using the Points for Playing formula.  That way, you only have to enter it once, and if you decide to change it, you don't have to change it in both locations.

I suggest you ask your second question on the homepokertour.com forums - you're likely to get a lot more users familiar with both the TD and the homepokertour.com site there.

badbeat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 02:32:43 PM »
Erm, I may have missed something, but you say you're using  ((n-r+1) * 5) + (nh * 3) - (tnr * 3) - (tna * .3) + switch(r, 1, 15, 2, 10, 3, 5, 4, 2.5) after Corey said "Slight correction to Phaze's formula, change "tnr" to "nr" and "tna" to "na" "

If I read this right, the formula you're using will take ALL rebuys and hits into account not just the player whose score you're looking at.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:37:26 PM by badbeat »

felix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 04:39:40 PM »
Sorry for answering so late, just had a lot of other things to do.
Now i found out what caused the problem:
I also entered the Points for buy-in, hits, rebuys and add-ons in the fields for that in the game tab. So it seems that they were also counted. At least i set all those scores to 0 and it works perfect now.
Also i had posted the wrong formula in my question, i used the newer Version (nr instead of tnr) that corey posted.
I will ask the guys on hpt for the other question i had.
Thanks alot guys and i wish you all very nice and relaxing (even if they mostly aren't relaxing at all  ;)) christmas holidays!

badbeat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 08:41:28 PM »
Glad you're all sorted now, have a good Xmas and New Year.

aplanib

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »
Hello, Im a complete begginer at using TD software and I would love some help for wrting a formula in TD in order to run my local league.

Every player earns a point for buying in
Zero points for rebuy
zero for add on
no hitman points
extra points for making the best 10 as follows
0.5 extra for 10th
1 extra for 9th
2 extra for 8th ...... an so on til we get 1st place who gets 9 extra points

I know its a very simple league but hey its a start!!!  please hlp

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 10:06:27 PM »
n-r+1+if(r=10, .5)

10       1.50

aplanib

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 08:01:10 AM »
thanks but Im not quite there yet....

that formula gave all players a point for advancing in rank....  I wanna give 1 point to all players for the buy in, but they will only make extra points till the get to Final table

thanks for the hints Corey

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 08:16:08 AM »
Oh, you're right, I only tested it for 1st through 10th.  You can wrap it in an if() to keep it from returning anything unless the player ranks 1 through 10.

if(r < 11, n-r+1+if(r=10, .5))

aplanib

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 08:17:29 AM »
Finally did it !!!!! :D

using this one.... 

switch(r,1,10,2,9,3,8,4,7,5,6,6,5,7,4,8,3,9,2,10,1.5,1)

awards specific points to defined rank and 1 point to all other ranks not listed