Author Topic: Restoring TD in a new laptop  (Read 1214 times)

gilehmerd

• View Profile
Restoring TD in a new laptop
« on: November 14, 2008, 04:50:49 PM »
Hi

I installed TD on a new computer, and I am trying to move TD folders from my old one to this new computer. Somehow I faced problems. This is what I did:

1-Install, and registration
2-Restore Database using back up file from old computer
3-copy and paste Saves Folder to new one

I am able to see the saved files, but when I load some of my old tournaments,,,,,,it doesn't show any player or anything at all....When I check players Stats,,,,,it shows that some of these tourneys are not completed. In old machine they are all completed.

When I tried to uninstal TD,,,,,it doesn't remove the TD Folder at Program Files Folder,,,,,,

At re installation, it picks up old Preferences....

What am I doing wrong? Could please someone help me with moving my old Tourneys to my new computer?

Thanks a lot,
Gilehmerd

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Restoring TD in a new laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 01:40:56 PM »
1-Install, and registration
2-Restore Database using back up file from old computer
3-copy and paste Saves Folder to new one

This is the right thing to do, but why did you manually copy and paste the "saves" folder?  This can be done as part of the backup.

I am able to see the saved files, but when I load some of my old tournaments,,,,,,it doesn't show any player or anything at all....When I check players Stats,,,,,it shows that some of these tourneys are not completed. In old machine they are all completed.

What do you mean by "I am able to see the saved files"?  Do you mean that when you navigate to the "saves" folder using Windows Explorer you see the files?  Or does it mean when you press "Load" on the Game tab to load a saved tournament you see the saved files?

it doesn't show any player or anything at all

Do you mean that when you load one of your saved tournaments that ALL settings are ... empty?

When I check players Stats,,,,,it shows that some of these tourneys are not completed. In old machine they are all completed.

On the Stats tab, press the Info button.  This shows all of the tournaments found, loaded, complete, etc.  If a tournament is marked "incomplete" that you think was completed, go to the Game tab and load that tournament and see what's happening.

When I tried to uninstal TD,,,,,it doesn't remove the TD Folder at Program Files Folder,,,,,,

At re installation, it picks up old Preferences....

Unless otherwise instructed, program installers at uninstallation time usually only remove files that were created when the software was installed.  The TD creates the database, preferences, and saved tournaments after installation when you run the software.  Therefore, the uninstaller does not remove these files.  It could, if I expressly forced the uninstaller to do so.  But there are many out there who uninstall software first when they upgrade (not the correct thing to do, but hey, people do it).  If the uninstaller removed all of the person's TD data, they'd be mighty upset upon installing the new version only to find out all of their players, preferences, tournaments, etc, were now gone.

gilehmerd

• View Profile
Re: Restoring TD in a new laptop
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 01:49:35 PM »
Hi Corey:

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using a new laptop with almost no additional software installed, not even an Antivirus yet.

I also tried to restore using Full Back up with all 4 options checked. It gives me error. A copy of the error log will be mailed to you.

When I uninstal TD, the folder "thetournamentdirector2" still stays at program files. When I remove it manually, and install TD again, it shows me my old Database. When I try to restore using the saved zip file from my old laptop, it does not respond. so I have to use task Manager to shut the program down.

At stats tab when I filter all my tourneys and refresh tournaments, and click INFO, it shows that many of these tourneys are incompleted. However they are completed, and have no problem loading at my old laptop.

When I load these problematic tourneys at new laptop, it looks like that there were never a player in those tourneys. It loads as the original template in old laptop with information that belongs to the time I created those templates, not the time that I ran and saved them.

Could you please help me with these situation. I actually can go ahead and reformat my laptop, and start everything again, since I have nothing on this laptop yet. But I want to make sure that TD works perfectly, so I can move all my settings to this new laptop.

Regards,
Gilehmerd