Author Topic: Need Points/Score Formula Help  (Read 2385 times)

Phil Hudson

• View Profile
Need Points/Score Formula Help
« on: February 18, 2015, 05:58:03 PM »
Hello. Great software btw. I'm running a monthly tournament with a championship tournament in December. I'd like to give each player 5 points for each tournament they attend, and 1 point for each place they finish in. For example:

If 20 players:
1st gets 20 + 5 = 25 pts
2nd gets 19 + 5 = 24 pts
etc...

I'd like to track this for each tournament and total it for all tournaments for the year. What's the best way to do this?

Thanks

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Need Points/Score Formula Help
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:21:27 PM »
You will want to separate points earned for actions in a tournament, such as finishing place, or number of knock outs, etc., from those earned outside of any given tournament, such as for attending N number of tournaments, or number of 1st place finishes.

Points for those things within a tournament can be awarded by using the Points for Playing formula on the Game tab.  Or with any of the other "Points for..." input fields on that tab.  For example, for the "1 point for each place they finish in", you would set the Points for Playing formula to:

n - r + 1

or, if you want the long version:

numberOfPlayers - rank + 1

You'd use this formula in each of your tournaments.  As long as you save each tournament [each in its own file], the Stats tab should tally each player's points automatically, across all tournaments.  To add the "5 points for each tournament they attend", you need to create an Overall Points formula on the Stats tab.  Edit Profiles on the Stats tab and create a new Profile.  Then edit the Overall Scores formulas.  Set one of them (any of them) to:

points + (buyins * 5)

Finally, make sure the column "Overall Score N" is visible, where N is whichever Overall Score formula you chose to use for the above formula.  By default only the "Overall Score" column is visible.  The other 4 are hidden.

When you Refresh Stats, you should see the points based on your description in that Overall Score column.

Phil Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 05:49:38 PM »
Thanks for the response. Finally tried this and noticed that everything seems to work, except for the Overall Score column. Here are the columns that are calculating correctly:

Buy-Ins
Total Cost
Total Winnings
Total Take
Points (this reads the correct points for both tournaments, 5 for each buy-in, and 1 for each position placed, for all tournaments added together)

The Overall Score Column should display what the Points column displays correct? Instead, it's adding 10 per buy-in for some reason. Any suggestions? I guess I could just ignore and hide this column and read off the Points column. Thanks for the help.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 11:51:26 AM »
The Overall Score Column should display what the Points column displays correct? Instead, it's adding 10 per buy-in for some reason. Any suggestions? I guess I could just ignore and hide this column and read off the Points column. Thanks for the help.

Based on the formula I gave you (points + (buyins * 5)), it should display what the Points column displays PLUS 5 points for each buy-in the player has accumulated.  So someone with 25 points and 3 buy-ins should have 40 in the Overall Score column (25 + 3 X 5).

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 12:42:35 PM »
Sorry Coorey,

Could you explain why he could/should not use : 5 + (n - r + 1)  as a formula for "Points for playing"?

I am wondering if I am missing something here...

TIA

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:36:01 PM »
Did I over-complicate it by assuming that "give each player 5 points for each tournament they attend" meant they needed to do that as part of the Stats?  Doh!