Author Topic: adding players window runs slow (over a minute)  (Read 9772 times)

Kerry George DeVore

• View Profile
adding players window runs slow (over a minute)
« on: April 17, 2015, 10:49:37 PM »
Whenever I start a new tournament and want to add player(s) the window takes over a minute to become available. I am running Version 3.3 and have reloaded it but no change in problem. I am using Windows 8.1 IE 10. Any suggestions?.............  updating .... Correction IE 11. I have downloaded ver 3.3 and installed it on top of the current program which is ver 3.3. I have completely uninstalled ver 3.3 and reinstalled it. I have backed up TD3 and restored it. I have backed up TD3 without backing up my database and then restored it. I have backed up just the database files and restored them too. No change in problem. Database has over 400 names so I cut it in half with no change in problem. All other tabs work good. Sometimes the adding players window takes longer than 3 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 02:25:24 AM by Kerry George DeVore »

Guzzler

• View Profile
Re: adding players window runs slow (over a minute)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 12:10:50 PM »
I am having the exact same problem...

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 09:29:13 PM »
Reports of this issue are starting to trickle in.  Preliminary research indicates another Windows Update has caused the issue.  If you're in immediate need of fixing this, the only suggestion I have as of right now is to perform a system restore to a point just before the most recent Windows Updates were installed on your PC.  Since I am not yet certain that a Windows Update is the cause (much less which update), this may not fix the issue.  Also note that this isn't without its drawbacks.  Many Windows updates are security-related, and uninstalling them can leave your system vulnerable.

I'll make this thread sticky and post updates as I have them.

Kerry George DeVore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 02:15:40 AM »
It certainly appears to be a MS update problem. Restored my computer back to few weeks ago and problem disappeared. Wish I knew how I could print a list of which MS updates I have installed to help isolate the problem one. But I am under the impression that you can only print from an app or program and not from windows itself.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 07:54:48 AM »
I'm having a difficult time replicating the problem.  Those of you who have experienced this, does it happen every time you open the Add Players dialog?

The previous time this was an issue, it didn't happen every time (for me).  I would have to open and close the Add Players dialog over and over.  Sometimes it happened twice in a row.  Sometimes it didn't happen until I had opened the dialog 20 or 30 (or more) times.  This time, I've not seen the issue at all.

Kerry George DeVore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 02:25:05 PM »
Mine would happen constantly. The only time anything would change would be the amount of time for the window to open. From 1 minutes to over 3 minutes.

Guzzler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 05:03:34 PM »
Mine as well - cannot "Add Player" without a 3-5 minute delay.  This happens every time the "Add Player" box is opened, from any method.

My laptop has just informed me of "21 Optional Updates", which I will install to see if the issue is resolved...

And the answer was no - the issue was not resolved.  I have uninstalled the updates back one month, and the program is working much "better", but still slow.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:01:00 AM by Guzzler »

SeverinoFloorman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 06:22:45 PM »
I too have the same problem. after installing the updates of windows I caused this. then I ask Mr. Cooper how to resolve this problem as soon as possible? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :'( :'( :'( :'(

Kerry George DeVore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 01:14:40 AM »
I removed updates back to April 12th. Like I said before I wish I could print out the list of updates I am still "USING" but there are 144 of them.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 11:40:59 AM »
Thanks for the updates everyone.  Still working on it.  I've got a desktop PC and a virtual machine, neither of which are displaying the issue.  I'm going to work on a few more, but it takes time to get them up to speed as far as updates and everything goes.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 12:12:56 PM »
This happens to me too (after my colleague told he updated windows)...

Every time I would press the Add Player button (from the Players Tab) I would get the window to open with the word "Working..." on top. At this point the application cease responding and I have to restart it.

Only workaround I found, short of going to a last known good version of Windows, is to add my players via the Database Tab with the "Find Player" button.

HTH

Guzzler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 03:02:27 PM »
The application doesn't "cease responding", it just runs VERY slow.  Mine was "Working..." almost 9 minutes before it finally came in.  And it would do that each time I clicked the button.

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 04:39:17 PM »
I don't know if this helps or not but I am running Windows 7 and IE 9 all current updates and haven't had a problem. Maybe a Windows 8 issue?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 01:48:57 PM »
OK, finally got it to reproduce.  Been trying on two Windows 7 PCs and one Windows 8 PC, but couldn't make it happen.  I think the issue is exasperated with each additional player in your player database.  With a small database (132 players is what I was using), the issue is not compounded enough to make much of a difference.  I noticed the dialog takes a little longer to sort the players, for example, but that's it.  Once I moved to a database with 1000 players, I could easily see the issue.

Those of you experiencing this, how many players are in your player database?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 02:05:36 PM »
OK, initial test results on Windows 8 is that uninstalling Windows Update KB3038314 fixed the problem.  I'll continue testing, but if you need to get things up and running quickly, I'd suggest removing that update.