Author Topic: 2.6.b4 Froze  (Read 5383 times)

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
2.6.b4 Froze
« on: February 22, 2011, 02:42:40 PM »
I'm 99% sure this was not due to TD, but still something I thought to pass along to everyone else.

While running b4 in windowed mode, I switched to a screen that references an Excel  htm file. I was updating the file (a points sheet, and we don't have internet at the location), saved it and left it open, then went back to TD. I went from sheet 1 to sheet 2, and it froze.

I did something similar, but with the file closed, and it worked perfectly, so I believe it's because I had the file open still - I was updating how the file looked.

Again, I'm 99% sure it was due to the file being open and not TD.

Mike
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: 2.6.b4 Froze
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:18:25 AM »
Ok, after doing some more playing around, I had it to where TD was the only application I was running (although I'm sure there were many processes running), and every time I would switch between the two sheets, it would freeze for a good couple minutes. Only the one time was I forced to close out and reopen. When it freezes, it doesn't say the TD stopped responding, but something like the web hosting did. I have a way to work around it by moving the second sheet onto the first, so push come to shove, I can prevent it.

Mike
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 11:26:58 AM »
Excel does indeed lock files when it works on them, so there's a possibility this is related.

However, I find it odd that the TD would freeze or hang or pause or whatever you want to call it when it is simply displaying an HTML file (regardless of whether or not it has been exported/saved from Excel).  I assume you had inserted the HTML file using the <iframe> HTML element?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:39:04 PM »
Yes. file is attached, and this is the code that I used to link it:

<iframe src="C:\Users\Mike\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data\saves\Points Sheet.htm" height="600" width="600"></iframe>

I did try it to switch between sheets without Excel open to edit, and it still happened... Not too sure how much I want to attribute it to either TD or excel, but my instinct is that for whatever reason, the webhosting part is trying to draw too much resources than what TD can handle, though I'm not 100% sure why, as I know I've got them available ???
---

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »
This isn't the entire Excel export, actually, because this file refers to several others.  If you want me (or anyone else) to test it, you'll need to zip this file up with the corresponding "Points Sheet_files" folder that should be sitting next to it in the same folder.

Another thing to note is that it has scripting code within it.  As far as I know, it should work, but note that IE isn't multi-threaded, which means that any script code that runs in an <iframe> will take away from time running code within the TD application.  I doubt it would have any real effect unless the code was pretty intense, but you never know (and it could be the issue you are experiencing for all we know right now).

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 11:29:11 AM »
Worth a shot in my opinion. Not too familiar with html coding, so I'll let you experts look at it :)

Here's the ZIP copy of the folder
---

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »
OK, when I open this in IE, I only see the sheet tabs at the bottom, nothing else.  Same within the TD.

When I open it in Chrome, the CPU spins (runs full speed).  Chrome is built nice enough to allow me to easily close this out-of-control page.

When I open it in Firefox, the CPU spins.  It took me about 5 minutes to be able to close the tab.

*Something* is not right with the scripting logic within that page.  Can you export just from the one sheet so you don't get all of the scripting logic?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »
I could re-arrange for sheet 2 to be on sheet 1. It's what i was thinking of doing as a possible solution to the problem anyhow. I'll report back in a few hours once I get back home from school, and probably post the files again for confirmation.
---

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:58:30 PM »
Ok... finally got home and changed the file. So, here's the (single sheet) file, as well as the zip folder for the files as well.  Happy hunting! lol
---

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:33:53 PM »
That one doesn't seem to give me any problems.  What about you?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:40:29 PM »
Have only briefly looked at it so far... But seems to be working better for now.  Noticed immediately the difference in the sizes from the orig file to the 2nd, so I'm thinking that was probably the case... I will try to do some testing on my end, worst case scenario, I'll end up doing work on Tuesday with it, with running the next tournament.

Will post anything I find (or don't find)
---

Seitz333

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 06:39:21 PM »
Try taking the space out of the file name "Points Sheet.htm" If you want a space between the words use an underscore "Points_Sheet.htm

Chuck

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 11:19:17 PM »
Ok, here's an update.

Seitz, I didn't change the name of the file so that there's no space in there, which may or may not work - have been super busy, but hope to try that out sometime by Sunday.

With the 2nd version, where I have everything on one sheet, it displayed without freezing once on me at the tournament, so if I have to stick with that one, I will.  Once able to test it with it being "points_sheet" or "PointSheet" or something of the like, I'll post one more reply with my findings. But it seems like moving everything onto one sheet at the very least is a workable solution.
---