Author Topic: Scoring help  (Read 1692 times)

CypherDragon

• View Profile
Scoring help
« on: February 13, 2010, 04:54:20 PM »
Hi all,

I've been using TD2 for almost a year now with our monthly poker group, and we've found this to be absolutely awesome for our games.  I run a 6-month season, and we'll be starting a new on in April.  I would like to change how points are scored for the new season, and could use some input on the best way to do it.

Currently, we use this formula as point for playing, which I got from here so don't fully understand: 10*sqrt(n)/sqrt(r)*4.162.  This is working as none of our players have had the same amount of points, but it only gives points for playing...no additional based on # of hits or bounties.  We are using the default tournament filters of log((n+1)/r) for Tournament Score and (1-exp(-average(scores))) * 100 for Overall Score.

What I would like to do is to keep the same mindset - no 2 players should ever have the same score, period.  But I also want to reward the more aggressive players who take people out, allow the missing of 1 game per season without affecting the overall score, and add in point bounties for the top-rated players.  My players tend to play conservatively, and I'm hoping adding a points incentive to being aggressive will help make more memorable moments during the games.  I'm also thinking about allowing re-buys, so this would need to take re-buys in to account as well.

What I was thinking is adding points for # of hits in the points for playing...but not sure where best to do this.  10*sqrt(n)/sqrt(r+nh)*4.162 lowers the end score, 10*sqrt(n+nh)/sqrt(r)*4.162 seems to work, but I'm not sure the overall effect on the game...I want aggressive play to be rewarded, but not be the deciding factor in the overall points.  I've thought about 10*sqrt(n)/sqrt(r)*4.162+nh, but I think that doesn't provide enough points to be an incentive.  I'd also like the # of hits to be inversely proportional to the number of players in the tournament...the more players, the less each individual hit is worth.

I'm also thinking about setting points for being in the money...something like 1 pt for bubble, 2 pts for next rank, 3 for next, etc. or possibly more since since scores can get pretty high, possibly proportional to the number of players.  Here I would also like to add in a bounty for taking out players based on their rank in the league...no points for taking out the bottom-ranked player, but a progression up to the top ranked player.

For the overall score, I was thinking of doing a (sum(top(5, scores)) as the overall score, with the points for all of the above added together.

Can anyone help me set up these formulas, or I am simply asking to much and should stick with something simple?

Regards,
Cypher

FourAcesPoker

• Big Slick "The Hitman"
    • View Profile
    • Four Aces Poker
Re: Scoring help
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »
Here is the formula I use for my league: I can have over 10,000 points in a 20 game season. Some like to keep points low, we don't! So you can fiddle with the numbers however you want...

By using this formula it will ALMOST GUARANTEE that no 2 players will tie!

Points for Playing formula
(100/n)*(n-r+1)*7+(bc*15)+(finalTable*40)+(nh*25)+switch(r,1,80,2,40,3,20)

25 points for bounty (put this in Prizes tab)

It works like this (bear with me):

(100/n)*(n-r+1) = 100/number of players x number-rank+1 gives you a "percentage"...in a 10 player game, it would be 100 for 1st, 90 for 2nd, 80 for 3rd, down to 10 for 10th...
*7 = basically that formula *7
+(bc*15) = buy-in cost x 15 (say $10 x 15 = 150) (make sure there is a dollar value in the Buy-in column on game tab)
+(finalTable*40) = 40 points for Final Table
+(nh*25) = 25 points for each hit/knockout
+switch(r,1,80,2,40,3,20) = 1st place 80 point bonus, 2nd 40 point bonus, 3rd 20 point bonus

Then, in the stats filter, use:

points      (for the formula above)

in the overall score use

average(scores)

That's it!
Big Slick "The Hitman"
Certified Tournament Director
Tournament Directors Association
Four Aces Poker
"Can you beat Four Aces?"

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »
For hits, on the main screen, you can enter in an amount where it says "points for hits" (i believe that's what it says).  For bounties, you'd have to go to the prizes tab and make a prize for the people who are bounties, and assign one less point than what you want to award for bounty (as the person knocking them out automatically gets a point).  So if you give hits one point, and you want someone to receive 3 points instead for KO a bounty, you'd make the prize be worth two.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

CypherDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:01:37 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys...here's what I'm thinking of going with:

(10*sqrt(n)/sqrt(r)*4.162) + (100*(nh/n)) + (finalTable * 10)

The main equation hasn't changed...I like the way it gives points :)

100 * (nh/n) = points by taking people out, based on the number of entrants.  Eg, for a 5 player game, each hit is worth significantly more than in a 10 player game, but it should never be more than points gained for simply playing.

finalTable * 10 = 10 extra points for making it to the final table

With this equation, for a 16-person game the example would be:
Winner with 0 hits gets 176.48 points
Winner with 3 hits gets 195.23
Winner with 15 hits gets 270.23 points

What do you think of this?