Author Topic: More formula help  (Read 4317 times)

spade117

• View Profile
    • RocCityPoker.net
More formula help
« on: October 22, 2007, 02:57:42 PM »
Ok, I have a formula for a weekly game that works great. What I'm looking for is a way to add on that I want only the *best 8 scores* to count. How do I go about this?
Spade

I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

The bible is the best selling fiction book of all time.

tandemrx

• View Profile
Re: More formula help
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 04:28:44 PM »
I assume you mean the top 8 scores from each individual for some league overall score (?).

In that case, on the stats page under the filter button, put the following formula in one of the "overall scoring" formula boxes and then make sure you display that overall score column on your stats page when you filter out the league tourneys you want to use:

sum(top(8, scores))

spade117

• View Profile
    • RocCityPoker.net
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:02:20 PM »
I added what you suggested, but it didn't come out correctly.

So far we have played 6 weeks of 10. Each week the points have added correctly, but by adding that (sum) formula, the overall score should be the same as overall points, and it wasn't.

After week 9, the total points should be different than total score, but should be the same up to week 8.

?
Spade

I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 09:47:46 AM »
Only thing I can think of is that you have some points awarded for something other than "points for playing" on the game or prizes tab??  Like maybe you have  points given for prizes, or points for hits or rebuys (that are not part of the points for playing formula, included by mistake)?

I say this because "Scores" uses the "points for playing" and adds other points as well.  So just wondering if normally you just look at points for playing formula, but for the overall you are using a formula that includes other points.

I might be missing something here because I am pretty sure the overall score formula is correct

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:44:55 AM »
Is your Tournament Scores formula set to "points"?

spade117

• View Profile
    • RocCityPoker.net
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 12:13:29 PM »
I'll have to check when I get home. At work right now.
Spade

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 03:30:51 PM »
Corey, I didn't notice this before, but when I put "points" in the tournament scoring area it says there is a formula error.

Everything seems to work if I put "points" in there though.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 04:37:43 PM »
Yeah, I turned on a feature in 2.4.3 that should warn you with a formula error if you use an unrecognized variable.  This should help people to recognize when they mis-type a variable name, for example.  Problem occurs when you have a formula like this:

assign("x", points * 3)
x + 5

This will produce an error even though this is a valid formula because, to the formula "compiler", the variable "x" is unrecognized.  It was a mistake - I should have documented the reason I had left the feature turned off in the first place.

In the case of the "points" variable, it is actually a bug because it should recognize points.  It has to do with the formula test dialog being used in more than one place (on the Game tab and in the Filters dialog).  I think I failed to add "points" as a valid variable for the Tournament Score dialog.

Your formula will of course still work, but the test dialog will give an error.  Not a good thing, but at least I didn't break the formula itself.  :)

spade117

• View Profile
    • RocCityPoker.net
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 04:58:30 PM »
Ok, here is what I have been doing:

On the game page, I had my formula in the *points for playing* area.

I added the (sum) formula to *overall score* area, in box one.

I ran enough test tourneys to see if it worked and it still does not.

This seems like it would be easier over the phone.  :(

Spade

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 10:22:53 AM »
Put your points formula in the Points for Playing input on the Game tab.

On the Stats tab, edit your Filter.  Set the Tournament Scoring formula to "points".  Set the Overall Scoring formula to "sum(top(8, scores))".

spade117

• View Profile
    • RocCityPoker.net
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 08:06:02 PM »
Put your points formula in the Points for Playing input on the Game tab.

On the Stats tab, edit your Filter.  Set the Tournament Scoring formula to "points".  Set the Overall Scoring formula to "sum(top(8, scores))".

Kudos. Worked perfectly. Thanks.
Spade