Author Topic: Screen Flashing when Tournament Starts  (Read 14567 times)

Alvisar

• View Profile
Screen Flashing when Tournament Starts
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:34:54 AM »
My screen starts Flashing when the game starts.  Anyone have any suggestions.  Running the latest Beta Release.

Here's a video of the behavior:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNzNnqnpeQE

Thanks in advance for your help!

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
Re: Screen Flashing when Tournament Starts
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »
I get one screen flash when I start my tourneys and one when I buy in my first player to a new tourney, interesting, yours is obviously a lot worse as it flashes every second.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you.

Stu
Stuart Murray

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:05:50 AM »
Thank you for posting this so I can see it firsthand.  I've never seen flashing like this.  Is it possible the screen saver (within the TD) is activating?  What are your screen saver preferences?  Are the two settings ("Enable screen saver" and "Suppress Windows screen saver") disabled?  If not, can you post a screen shot of the Preferences tab with the Screen Saver item selected?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 11:06:19 AM »
Also, did this happen with 2.5.11, or is this the first version you've used?

Alvisar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
Both Enable Screen Saver and Suppress Windows Screen saver are unchecked.

I've never had this problem before with prior versions.  Also, this problem didn't immediately start after the upgrade.  I changed something, somehwhere....but can't pinpoint what I changed to cause this behavior.

I tried loading an old "default.tdt" that I had, but that didn't work either. 

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »
Very odd.  So it basically just started doing this one day and now, no matter what layout you use or what tournament you load, it always does it?  Would you mind performing a backup of everything and sending it to me?

On the Database tab, press the Backup button, select all checkboxes, then attach the resulting ZIP file to an email to support@thetournamentdirector.net.

I've seen some occasional flashing, but actually on the Settings window and not the Game window.  And I figured it had something to do with IE 8, to be honest.

Alvisar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 12:35:41 PM »
I think you might have just found the root of the problem.  I'll send you a backup in a couple of minutes, but just realized the "variable" that changed.  I upgraded to IE9 a couple of weeks ago and I think that *might* have been when it started.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 12:46:32 PM »
IE9 is going to be the culprit - from other threads, Corey was able to determine it' incompatable at the present time.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Alvisar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »
Yeah, and uninstalling IE9 on my machine has not been fun so far.  I'm still having issues getting IE to work again in general, but will work around it.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 05:09:18 PM »
I did restore your backup and tried a few tournaments and everything seemed to work OK.  But IE9 really is the likely cause.  Wait for the final IE9 - that's the best bet.  They worked out all the kinks as far as the TD was concerned by the time IE 7 and IE 8 went RC.  Let's hope IE 9 is the same.

GreenTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 12:20:38 AM »
I have EXACTLY the same issue on my computer with TD2.6 Beta 4 (and I've IE9 Final installed). The screen only flashes on Tournament tab. Can it have something to do with custom wallpapers?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:30:09 AM by GreenTurtle »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »
Well, I'd be willing to bet IE9 is the culprit, but as to why this happens in IE9 is unknown.  Perhaps if you changed the background image or remove it, you wouldn't see this issue.

Alvisar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 11:33:20 AM »
Removing the background image worked.  I also discovered a couple more interesting things.

1) With the image still being used, when you entered "Design Mode" the flashing begins.
2) Adjusting the Tiling on the Background properties sheet for the main screen also stopped the flashing.  I had tiling selected to Repeat X & Y.  When I checked "Don't Repeat" the flashing stopped and I could use my image. 

I think the fix for me is to change the size of my image to fit the screen instead of using tiling to make the image fit.  I'm sure it something to do with how IE9 handles images now.  Not really sure on that, I'm not an HTML guy.

Alvisar

Alvisar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 11:59:06 AM »
I was wrong.  Changing the tiling didn't stop the flashing.  I must have done something else that stopped it.  I didn't save my layout when I exited when I made the flashing go away, so it's back.  Maybe I'll be able to replicate it again.  Grrr.............

I have to completely remove the background image to make the flashing stop for now.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:19:35 PM by Alvisar »

GreenTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 11:50:23 AM »
Same here....