Author Topic: Tournament of Champions - Feedback requested  (Read 2189 times)

BulletMan

• View Profile
Tournament of Champions - Feedback requested
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:40:19 PM »
I am running a league with 6 monthly tourneys followed by a ToC (free roll) for the top 10 in points.  I rake 20% for the ToC from each tourney and payout the top 4 or 5 each month depending upon the attendance.  I use Dr Neau's point formula

I do not pay anything or have any sort of "benefit" to finishing in the top 10 other than making the free roll ToC.  So in that sense, finishing 10th is no different than finishing first.

We start with 1500 in chips each tourney.  I am toying with the idea of starting the ToC with chip stacks that are relative to the number of points that the first place person has or by rank.  This would give some sort of benefit to finishing higher than the next guy.

A couple examples/thoughts:
    1.  1st place has 50 points and 10th has 25, 1st place would start the ToC with 1500 chips and 10th would start with 750 (50% of points = 50% of chips).
    2.  1st place gets 1500 chips and each position after that gets 50 chips less than the one before it (points wouldn't matter other than to rank players).

Does anyone have feedback on these or perhaps other options to consider?

Bullet

Karpro

• View Profile
Re: Tournament of Champions - Feedback requested
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:49:26 AM »
I've got mine set up very similar.  We take the top 16 to the TOC.  We play T1500 tourneys but for the TOC 16th starts with 1500, 15th with 1600, 14th with 1700 each position up earning an additional 100 all the way to 1st with 3000 starting chips.  I think this adds value to your finishing position in the league but still gives the 16th place finisher a fighting chance in the TOC.

jeff b

• View Profile
Re: Tournament of Champions - Feedback requested
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 03:49:03 PM »
Yeah, we've done both of ours where the chip count is based on the points earned during the season. We've done it two different ways - 1st time around we based it on $10,000 in chips per player which is our usual starting stack, and the percentage of total points determined the percentage of total chips. The one we're currently doing is different but same general idea of earning points during the season which determine your chips for the championship tourney.