Author Topic: Want only top 15 out of 50 players to get points in ranking season  (Read 1256 times)

raiisak

• View Profile
We play 20 tournaments with an av. of 50 players each. We want only top 15 to get point.

What code does we use? And where does it go? I read that we could use sum(top(15, scores)) but never got it to work trought profiles, what is diff between tournament scores and overall scores? And again, where does this code go when we are suppose to use it in our ranking season

PS. we use this for generating points -> log((n + 1) / r)

shushs

• View Profile
Re: Want only top 15 out of 50 players to get points in ranking season
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 01:58:13 PM »
Corey was able to help me get on with my top n calculations.  If I understand your request, you give points to the top 15 finishers in any given tournament.

I would think you need to modify your points calculation based on that criteria.

points = (if rank <= 15, log((n+1)/r), 0)

That should only give points to the top 15 players.
With each tournament keeping it's own score, and if you have player tracking turned on, then it would update the total points for a particular player based on their points for that particular season. <- sure hope that made sense.

I certainly hope this is proper advice.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 03:17:24 PM »
Sounds right to me.  raiisak, players can receive points using the Points for Playing field on the Game tab.  This awards points on a per-tournament basis.

On the Stats tab, when computing statistics over a number of tournaments, the Tournament Score and Overall Score formulas are available for you to compute other values - not necessarily points.  Tournament Score can be used just like Points for Playing.  With Points for Playing, you could create a different formula to award points for each tournament, since each tournament has its own Points for Playing field.  Or you could use the same formula.  Whatever you like.  But if you wanted to change that formula, you'd have to go to each tournament and change each formula.  With Tournament Score, the resulting value is available only when you compute statistics.  And you only have one formula, so it applies to all tournaments.  However, if you decide to change it, you just change it in one place and recompute statistics, since there's only one Tournament Score formula per profile, and it is the same across all tournaments when computing statistics.

The Tournament Score formula computes a value for each tournament.  The Overall Score formulas each compute a single value for each player.  It could be used in many ways, but mostly you can think of it as a way to combine values from the Tournament Score formula.

As an example, say you allow players to accumulate points for basic things like buying into the tournament, and purchasing add-ons or rebuys.  This would be ideal for a club or restaurant that wants to award players when they spend money in a tournament.  You could use the Points for Playing formula, or just the basic buy-in, rebuy, and add-on "Points" fields.  If you also want to rank players over a series of tournaments based on how they perform, you could then use the Tournament Score formula, using a formula like you've mentioned: log((n + 1) / r).  Those Tournament Score values are computed for each player, for each tournament.  Ultimately they need to be combined in some way to produce a rank-like value for each player.  So you could set one of the Overall Score formulas to do just that: (1-exp(-average(scores))) * 100.  (These are the formulas for the default Stats Profile, for anyone reading along.)

raiisak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:41:25 PM »
Thanks for quick reply, sadly "(if rank <= 15, log((n+1)/r), 0)" gives me just error.
I tried to make a new profile with this:
tourmanemt score formula: if rank <= 15, log((n+1)/r), 0)
overall score formula: (1-exp(-average(scores))) * 100

did I miss something?

shushs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »
apologies... typo

if (rank <= 15, log((n+1)/r),0)

Had the parenthesis in the wrong place.