Author Topic: connecting the TD to a mobile phone  (Read 6914 times)

Linker_Split

• View Profile
connecting the TD to a mobile phone
« on: July 02, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »
hello guys, long time no see, having some health problems, but I'm still here around :)
I have an important question: I own a nokia 5800, and my idea was to connect it to the pc where TD software is installed and remote-control it. Anyone have ever tried this before?
I need it cause when I'm walking among tables, I can't stay at pc, so if a player out is called, via mobile phone I would be able to contro and issue the command to the sw on the pc .
Any suggestion is well appreciated :)

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
Re: connecting the TD to a mobile phone
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
a remote control software installed on the host computer and your smartphone will do the trick. Real VNC is the most popular but it is not open source so you will have to pay. You can use TightVNC on your host...this one is free but I find it's a bit slower than Real VNC. There are a few free VNC viewer apps for smartphones...choose one and configure everything. It took me about 20 minutes to find all my settings for both the host and the client and works well.
I used it on my iPhone and loved it...tried it on an iPad and never used my iPhone again for it

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:54:58 AM »
wow that's good!
So is it easy to set up?
Hope it will work with this phone, really thank you man.

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »
If you're good with computers...it os pretty easy. Set up the server information in your VNC viewer (IP address, username and password) and make sure your VNC server is running. Then have fun!!
To make things smoother, make sure your host computer has a static IP address so you dont have to change in your phone every other day

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 01:52:39 PM »
oook, thank you, I've just bought it and it work like a charm :)

GreenTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 06:27:32 AM »
Is it possible to setup a connection between the computer and mobile/tablet without an internet connection?! If so, how and what software/hardware to use?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »
Is it possible to setup a connection between the computer and mobile/tablet without an internet connection?! If so, how and what software/hardware to use?

If that is possible, I would make use of it too - when I deal for the final table, to pause it while I goto the computer to record the KO can be a pain... Sucks that the location doesn't have WIFI...
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »
If the computer is a laptop (or a desktop with a wireless card) it should be possible by setting up a ad/hoc connection. This is where the host computer shares its wireless card for other devices (iPhone or iPad should qualify).
If the desktop doesn't have a wireless card, a wireless router is rather inexpensive and easy to setup.

GreenTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 12:37:29 AM »
If the computer is a laptop (or a desktop with a wireless card) it should be possible by setting up a ad/hoc connection. This is where the host computer shares its wireless card for other devices (iPhone or iPad should qualify).
If the desktop doesn't have a wireless card, a wireless router is rather inexpensive and easy to setup.
Yes, but the software that I have looked into are dependent on internet. Does anyone have a working setup for this without using an internet connection? If so, how's the setup done and what software are you using?

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 06:53:49 AM »
the internet question was bouncing in my mind.
I've installed today realVNC server and viewer on my personal computer, still figuring how to install it on my nokia 5800 symbian OS (anybody knows if it's possible?)
Now the problem is the connection: maybe creating a local passworded connection is the solution?
Can't try it here.

Charvey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 08:04:14 AM »
I see on the website for Real VNC there are 3 versions..Free..Personnel and enterprise.. What version are you using? I have a iPhone that i may try this with.

Thanks

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »
Yes, but the software that I have looked into are dependent on internet. Does anyone have a working setup for this without using an internet connection? If so, how's the setup done and what software are you using?

VNC is not, last time I checked, dependent on an internet connection, just a network connection between devices.  Creating an ad-hoc connection, or setting up your own wireless router (without an internet connection), should qualify.

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 06:01:09 PM »
As Corey stated, you don't need an internet connection, just a network connection.
As for Real VNC, try the free one. I'm not sure what its limitations are. I use (from my iPhone) Mocha Lite and from my desktop TightVNC. Both are free and perform very well for me

Charvey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 10:55:16 PM »
Thanks Jodybingo

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 06:43:03 AM »
I'm trying now the Java version for Symbian 60 ver. 5.0, will make you know what happen guys

My 5800 is a very good smartphone, but not so good to have this great app working on it